Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speakers not recognised on new dell desktop

• 01-12-2011 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi not sure if this is the right place to post this but I got a new dell desktop a few days agi,kept speakers from old system. However my new desktop doesn't 'realise' thaty there is speakers connected,not even any 'devices not recognised'. They are connected correctly. I don't know what to do,I don't fancy sending this monster back. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? even better as to what I can do to resolve the problem?. Thanks
    F

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The speakers wont show up as hardware to the best of my knowledge (I mean I think it's technically possible, but I don't think it actually happens, though I don't use windows any more really). What should show up is your sound card instead. Have you got the speakers plugged into the correct ports on the back of the computer? Can you take a picture and post it up maybe? Have you tried with headphones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Khannie wrote: »
    The speakers wont show up as hardware to the best of my knowledge (I mean I think it's technically possible, but I don't think it actually happens, though I don't use windows any more really).

Khannie is right although some somecards have to ability to detect when a jack plug is inserted into one of the audio sockets. Are there audio ports on the front and the back? If so then in many cases the front ones may not be connected so try the rear ones first. Also make sure the sound isn't muted in the Audio properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Hi all just tried headphones and yeah I can hear with them. The speakers are the problem. Mute is off and they are definitely connected correctly.

Have you tried the speakers with another device like an ipod or similar? Are the speakers mains powered?

Hi I plug them into the wall yes and fine with I-Pod.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, not sure what's going on so. Speakers are working, headphone socket is working on the PC so you should be getting sound from the speakers when connected to the headphone socket. Only thing I can suggest is see if can get a lend of another set of speakers and try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

What speakers are they, can you find a make and model number on them?

522572 pc line,multimedia 2.0 speaker. Thanks

Obvious thing here but are you making sure the jack is plugged in fully when connecting to the pc

now the headphones are not working,everything is connected properly,

• Advertisement

Sounds like a faulty jack on the soundcard possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

is the soundchip a realtek HD audio? if yes your screwed
    i have the exact same issue with my pc

Realtek make some of the worst soundchips available at present. None of the drivers ive tried fixes that speakers not detecting issue.

buy an addon pci soundcard...disable the realtek one and move on with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

To be honest some of the realtek stuff is very good. The gap in quality between consumer discrete and integrated sound is narrowing. So much so, we haven't had a new Asus or Creative card in quite a while.

I wouldn't write the onboard sound off yet.

Freiheit - you need to do the following steps :

1. Determine if the sound is enabled first of all. So when the PC boots, you usually see an option to Press F2 to Enter setup. Do this, and the bios screen will load. There should be an option somwhere for onboard or integrated hd audio. This should be set to enabled. If it's disabled, then that's your issue. So enable and save settings and reboot.

2. Assuming the sound was disabled and you enabled it in step. 1 above, the sound drivers (if they were loaded correctly in the factory which they should have been), should install automatically. Wait a couple of minutes, windows might ask you to reboot. Then you just need to plug in either a set of headphones or speakers into the front speaker audio jack on the back of the pc.

3. Assuming the sound was enabled all along in step. 1, then your issue is either your soundchip is simply malfunctioning (very unlikley in a new dell pc), or the drivers are not installed or not configured properly. At this stage you can either ring Dell tech support, who will talk you through the install procedure (free of charge, if you explain it arrived not working). Or you can do it yourself. The easiest way without delving into the workings of the device manager is simply to download the driver from dells site and install it.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

You just need to enter the service tag number and follow the instructions for downloading the file to your hard drive. There may be a driver and also an application associated with it. But it will be easy to spot. Run the setup program and follow the instructions. If your sound chip is not faulty, and is enabled in the bios, then this should sort it for you.

Let us know how you get on

Realtek HD Audio (ALC 1200 series) is plagued with problems regarding jack detection. all u need do is google the issue and see just how many hits with people all getting the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Are you connecting in to the ports on the front of the PC (may / may not be there) or back of the PC?

No option that I can see to press f2 but having gone into control panel sound appears to be enabled. I'll download the support link and try that soon. The thoughts of calling dell support in India or the like is a nightmare,as is returning this.

Have tried downloading through the Link flaccus and to be honest I'm a novice. I don't know what to do,I don't understand it.

earphones (not speakers) now recognised but can hear nothing through them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You can download the latest Realtek Drivers here. Its possible the ones Dell used and list are older ones with problems,

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

This is assuming he has realtek drivers.

Freiheit - the link I posted will show you all the drivers for your system. You just need to follow the instructions and enter the tag number of your system. Its usually a 6 or 7 digit label printed on the top or back of your system. From that code the dell site will know what drivers are relevant to your PC and you can download from there. It's easy. You probably do have realtek drivers but that's a guess at this point.

• Advertisement

i gave up with my realtek soundcard drivers... installed a soundblaster audigy XE into the pci x-1 slot, hit del on bootup ... disabled onboard hd audio... then rebooted into windows, windows installed the sb audigy drivers... and voila i got sound again.

Advertisement