Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas Whiskey deals?

Options
  • 01-12-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

Hi anyone noticed any good xmas whiskey deals at the moment?

I see regular stuff like Jameson and Bushmills White is priced at €20 or less in a lot of places now. Seen Black Bush for €20 in O'Briens too. Anyone seen any of the older stuff on sale too?

Also, while I'm asking, anyone seen Baileys for a good price? I dont drink it myself but need it for someone who does. Best I've seen so far is 700ml for €13 in dunnes I think - but last year I got it for €10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

There's some great offers at O'Brien's

http://www.obrienswine.ie/Spirits/Irish-Whiskey/

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Super Valu in Galway had Jameson for €17, Bushmills original for €15 and Bailey's for €12 this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Bailey's

Tesco 70cl = 13

1L = 17, equivalent to 11.90 for 70cl

Asda = 7stg for 70cl, or under 10 euro

Tesco NI = 9.85 for 1L

Whiskey in Tesco

Bushmills = 17

Tullamore Dew = 18

Jameson

70cl = 20
    100cl = 25, or 17.50 for 70cl

Paddy = 19

Powers 1L = 25

• Registered Users Posts: 37 donegal100

Redbrest - Any deals on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

37 in tesco i think. Powers 12 and jamie 12 31 quid each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

12 yr old jameson on €25 in o'briens. they also have middleton at €115

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

I got a 5 euro voucher for kilbeggan whiskey.. its 21.95 in dunnes with 2 glass pack. they also have bushmills at 16 not sure which one think it has a black label....are these any good as i have never been in to whiskey but fancy trying a few. had a drop of jameson the other night ....straight i didnt fancy it much but with some cold water it was nice. looking to get a few differnet bottles to try various ones ( cheap ones at the start so nothing above 30euro) any advice....

I got a 5 euro voucher for kilbeggan whiskey.. its 21.95 in dunnes with 2 glass pack. they also have bushmills at 16 not sure which one think it has a black label....are these any good as i have never been in to whiskey but fancy trying a few. had a drop of jameson the other night ....straight i didnt fancy it much but with some cold water it was nice. looking to get a few differnet bottles to try various ones ( cheap ones at the start so nothing above 30euro) any advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

donnacha wrote: »
    12 yr old jameson on €25 in o'briens. .....
    Best whiskey ever. I'll snap up two of these at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

newbie2 wrote: »
    donnacha wrote: »
    12 yr old jameson on €25 in o'briens. .....
    Best whiskey ever. I'll snap up two of these at least.

While it may not be the BEST whiskey ever, it certainly is very good an perhaps thr best for the price.

in aldi the other day and picked up a cooley collection 4x 50ml pack.. kilbeggan. conemara.. the tyrconnel and ?? name...grain whiskey...that'll do for a start how do these ones rate .....will keep eyes peeled for jameson 12yr old at 25:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

in aldi the other day and picked up a cooley collection 4x 50ml pack.. kilbeggan. conemara.. the tyrconnel and ?? name...grain whiskey...that'll do for a start how do these ones rate .....will keep eyes peeled for jameson 12yr old at 25:)

Greenore is the grain whiskey one. Kilbeggan is nice, I love Connemara but its an aquired taste as it is a peated whiskey and tyrconnel is a nice dram. Cannot stand Greenore I find it has a very metallic taste. How much were Aldi doing the Cooley Collection pack for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

gandalf wrote: »
    Greenore is the grain whiskey one. Kilbeggan is nice, I love Connemara but its an aquired taste as it is a peated whiskey and tyrconnel is a nice dram. Cannot stand Greenore I find it has a very metallic taste. How much were Aldi doing the Cooley Collection pack for?

€15 i think. Possibly €16.

12.99 in aldi...looking forward to tasting them i will report back..( probably in about 6 months time when i get round to tasting:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

donaghs wrote: »
    Also, while I'm asking, anyone seen Baileys for a good price? I dont drink it myself but need it for someone who does. Best I've seen so far is 700ml for €13 in dunnes I think - but last year I got it for €10

Saw Bailey's in a Centra brochure for €12. Why can't they just drink Aldi/Lidl "Irish Cream Liquor"? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 corkdork

A year or 18 months ago there were amazing deals on Baileys. They had a serious stock overhang as they had forecast production incorrectly when sales in some markets dropped badly. It has a shelf life so needed to be shifted. I used to work in the Nangor Rd building it's made in and a former colleague told me that.

Also on whiskies. Lidl's Dundalgan Irish whiskey will be 12.99 from 19/12 to 1/1. It's made by Cooley. May be of interest if wondering if Lidl scotches are any good, worth knowing White and McKay make them for them and they are decent. Aldi's malt is made by Glenmor... They said they'd have to kill me if I told anyone so decipher that yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I saw Redbreast for €37.50 in Supervalu but not sure if it's still on. Scandalous they've increased the price so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I was in Supervalu yesterday and they had a few good deals,

Jameson, 17
    Bushmills, 15
    Jameson 12, 26
    Powers 12, 26

I'm looking for a good price on Bushmills 16, so far 66 euro in Supervalu is the cheapest I've seen it, with most places being considerably more. It was 81 euro in o'donovans. I had heard of it being for sale in the north at 30 something pounds which is more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

picked up a btl of glenfiddich 12yo for 34 in supervalu balbriggan monday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jameson 12 YO - €27.95 Dunnes Stores ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

adrian522 wrote: »
    Jameson 12 YO - €27.95 Dunnes Stores ...

24.99 in OBriens. Picked one up today with a €20 Black Bush. Should keep me going for Christmas.

I'm not a regular whiskey drinker and other than duty-free years ago, I have never bought a bottle.

I do know a small bit about it, more from the reading newspaper articles about the various producers.

Is Black Bush good value at 20 euro for 70cl?

From my limited info, it seems to be....

It seems to be one of the better blended whiskies, with a higher than usual amount of single malt (?)........

I've convinced myself, I'll buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

geuze yes €20 is a good price it is usually around the €26 up mark. it is also imho a very very nice whiskey. its a normal irish so will have none of the peat smoke common to scotches. it has a high proportion of malt whiskey (a good thing in my book) and is matured in sherry casks giving it a dark colour and a sweet aroma and taste.
    if i was to pick one irish non single malt to give a whiskey novice that would be it. also
    if i was drinking whiskey in a normal poorly stocked bar (in scotch) i would order this myself and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The ordinary Jameson is €17 and is another good place to start. I already have 2 litres of Duty Free to get through so didn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Black Bush is a great whiskey and €20 is well worth if if you can afford it. It's often €30 in some places. Since IDL and Diageo started loosening their death grip on the prices after people crossed the border the occasional drop in the price of a drop has been great.

Dunnes have:

Jim Beam €20 (lovely for the price and a decent introduction to a bourbon)
    Powers 12 €27.50 (fantastic Irish whiskey, it used to fall near the price range of Redbreast which I would prefer over it but if you like the regular Powers you gotta try this stuff, it's great)
    Jameson 12 €27.50 (as noted, a lovely whiskey, lots of sherry on the nose and palette, great for Xmas)
    Powers non-age statement €16 (cheapest price I've seen this at)

Also: http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Special_Offer_Irish_Whiskeys-group-9-z-promotionalgroup.htm

http://www.obrienswine.ie/Spirits/Christmas-Spirits-Offers/Page1/Records1000/OrderBypopularity/
    (Glenmorangie is a very nice popular Scottish whiskey, a tad fruity and not at all like the smoky/peaty malts you may be used to)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Bushmills €15 in Dunnes also.

Advertisement