Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son thinking of sitting Leaving, but has left school!!!

• 01-12-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Ok, my son had problems at school to the point the school decided to expel him, I appealed and won, as the school had no grounds.

Son returns to school but leaves of his own accord, short story version. He is out since Easter.

He informs me last night that he would like to sit the leaving and fail rather than not do it!!! Im delighted it shows he still had an interest and I want to do everything I can to help him pass!

Please, any advice would be really appreciated, he just needs to pass. I really dont know where to start, I have all the books as I have another son doing the leaving.

Im thinking foundation Irish and Maths. Eng and 2 other subjects.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Firstly, you need to make sure he is entered to do the exam. You can enter him through the examinations.ie site. It will soon be taking 2012 applications, but no harm send them an email now.

Once that's done, please be aware that for any subjects with a project or practical element he will need a teacher to sign off on the project.

I would suggest contacting your local VEC school or Youthreach centre. There are people there who will be able to give you and your son advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

maiden wrote: »
    He informs me last night that he would like to sit the leaving and fail rather than not do it!!! Im delighted it shows he still had an interest and I want to do everything I can to help him pass!

As a matter of interest, how did you respond to him when he said "he would like to sit the leaving and fail rather than not do it" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JellyBeans123

scholar007 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how did you respond to him when he said "he would like to sit the leaving and fail rather than not do it" ?

As a matter of interest, do you ever mind your own business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

As a matter of interest, do you ever mind your own business?

If you don't have anything constructive to add to the thread, please leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I was thrown out of school six weeks before the Leaving(was a little shyte).Studied hard and went back to do it and passed it not with flying colours but still decent enough.So all the best to you and your son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Thanks guys! I really need to get a plan of action in place. I rang the examinations crowd today and he can register in Jan as long as he has permission from a school to sit it in.

''As a matter of interest, how did you respond to him when he said "he would like to sit the leaving and fail rather than not do it" ?''

To be honest I was just so happy he had thought about it, I told him that I would do everything I can to help him pass, he did a good Junior so I told him if he put his head down he could do well, but I was proud of him no matter what.

Im not sure if that the right or wrong answer in your definition, but that was my response!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

Deciding to sit the leaving certificate after having many obvious problem within the schooling system is a commendable decision.

I would like to point out to you that there are other options then the Leaving certificate. There is LCA (leaving certificate applied) and LCVP (leaving certificate vocational program) designed for the less academically bent. However I'm not aware of many school's who run these programs, but Newpark Comprehensive- Blackrock, Dublin, does.
    maiden wrote: »
    Ok, my son had problems at school to the point the school decided to expel him, I appealed and won, as the school had no grounds.

Son returns to school but leaves of his own accord, short story version. He is out since Easter.

Please, any advice would be really appreciated, he just needs to pass. I really dont know where to start, I have all the books as I have another son doing the leaving.

Im thinking foundation Irish and Maths. Eng and 2 other subjects.

He applied for transition year when he was in school but didn't get a place, then he applied for LCA in a different school, but didn't get a place.
    Then applied for youthreach, didn't get a place! And then a back to education course and the course didn't go ahead!

He just wants to do something! And not for the want of trying!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just like to point out LCVP is not for those less academically inclined - if anything it's extra on top of the standard Leaving and can only be taken where certain combinations of subjects are being taken.

spurious wrote: »
    Just like to point out LCVP is not for those less academically inclined - if anything it's extra on top of the standard Leaving and can only be taken where certain combinations of subjects are being taken.

My son was actually doing LCVP before he left and my other son is currently doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

Maiden well doe to your son for thinking towards the future! i would find good tutors for any subjects he may have problems in( because he wont have any teachers to ask) make sure he gets past papers for his subjects and those revision books. I gave grinds to a young lad who like your son found problems with his teachers and those revision books were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Fair play to the lad. Whatever his past maybe, shows some good insight to his mindset that he wants to actually sit the state exam. If only others had the same sort of ideas.

Best of luck to him!

Advertisement