Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son wants to sit Leaving but has left school

• 01-12-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

I have posted this in the education forum as well but looking for advice locally and hopefully someone could point me in some direction as who I could talk to about getting advice on this:::

Ok, my son had problems at school to the point the school decided to expel him, I appealed and won, as the school had no grounds.

Son returns to school but leaves of his own accord, short story version. He is out since Easter.

He informs me last night that he would like to sit the leaving and fail rather than not do it!!! Im delighted it shows he still had an interest and I want to do everything I can to help him pass!

Please, any advice would be really appreciated, he just needs to pass. I really dont know where to start, I have all the books as I have another son doing the leaving.

Im thinking foundation Irish and Maths. Eng and 2 other subjects.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi,

It looks like you are too late for this time around, but get in contact with them and they might be able to help https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ca

more details can be found here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/state_examinations/established_leaving_certificate.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

No Clareman thats for the Leaving this year, he will be sitting it in 2012 and I rang them and said applications start in Jan, so not too late!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

You might as well pick another subject other than doing foundation Irish as it would not really be of use. I would try and get him into another school ,as it wont be easy to do it on his own at home, study etc. What ever you do you will need to register with a school so he can sit the exams there, do this as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Have you considered youthreach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

He applied for transition year in the school in was in, he didnt get a place

He applied for Leaving Cert Applied in the Ennis Community College, didnt get a place

He applied for Youthreach for Sept, but didnt get a place, but they said BTEI were going to do a part time class for the overflow of applicants. This was supposed to start in Oct but it never happened. So that was 2 courses we were hoping for but didnt happen. Its was all disappointing as he wanted to be doing something!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

You can study at home in your own time.

He will be classed as an external candidate.

See here

He needs to find a test center, which is any school or college that has a center number and is willing to accept him for the tests.

There is a fee of 109 Euro , keep an eye on the examinations website the online application process is opening soon.

Best of luck..

Advertisement