Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graseproof and baking paper + cream

Options
  • 01-12-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can someone explain me the difference between graseproof and baking paper please? Do you need to line up your tin with both kinds for the christmas cake?

Also, there are many, many kinds of creams in my local Tesco: single, double, creme fraiche, fresh crwam, whipping, pouring, cooking... I'm at loss, can someone explain?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Greaseproof and baking paper are the same thing.
    You normally need to use two sheets to line the bottom and sides of your baking tin.

Place your tin on top of a sheet of paper and draw around the bottom of it. Cut out this circle. Grease the bottom of the tin and add the circle of paper.
    Next cut out strips of paper and line the edges of the tin.
    Regarding the cream-depends what you need it for,
    Single cream is just normal cream which you can use for whipping or pouring over things.

Double cream is basically the same but it's richer and higher in calories.
    Whipping cream is single cream.
    Whipped cream is cream which has already been whipped in the pot for you.
    Pouring cream is the same as single cream.
    Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If youi're talking about baking parchment, there's a huge difference between that and greaseproof paper. If you line your cake tins or baking sheet with greaseproof, you have to grease that too or your food will stick.
    On the other hand, absolutely nothing sticks to baking parchment. It's more expensive because it's far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

thank you both, it makes more sense now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Double cream is an English thing, it doesn't really exist here, any that is here is imported. I use single cream whenever a recipe asks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Acoshla wrote: »
    Double cream is an English thing, it doesn't really exist here, any that is here is imported. I use single cream whenever a recipe asks for it.

Avonmore do double cream here as do the other Irish dairy companies. The difference is our single cream is so thick it's virtually the same as double cream across the water. Double cream here virtually has to be spooned from the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw one called "baking paper" in tesco and it had a nonstick silicone coating, the "greasproof paper" did not. But this was just 2 random brands I saw.

The packaging should tell you if it needs greasing or not. These names have no legal bearing -so I could well imagine some product called "baking paper" does not have the non stick coating, and I expect some manufacturers could have nonstick coating on paper they call "greaseproof paper".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

SBWife wrote: »
    Avonmore do double cream here as do the other Irish dairy companies. The difference is our single cream is so thick it's virtually the same as double cream across the water. Double cream here virtually has to be spooned from the bottle.

Shows how often I've looked for double cream!

Advertisement