Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netbooks , graphics, etc

• 01-12-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

My son (and coincidentally his friends) have been looking at getting a netbook for Christmas.
    They had their eye on one from Toshiba (NB520 10U) and we've also had a look at this one :

Argos link

My son is still in primary school and going into 6th class next year but is very computer literate, etc.
    They seem set on a netbook (probably because of the coolness of size, etc).
    Anyway .. to cut to the chase.. he and friends have been playing the game Minecraft of late and I am wondering whether the experience on a netbook might be very sub-par.

From my own understanding I get the impression that the fps will struggle big time on netbooks with 1GB RAM and with Intel (rather than ATI/Nvidia chipset graphics cards).

Anyone here managed to run 3d simulation game stuff (such as Minecraft) on a netbook of similar config ?

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I really think it'll struggle to be honest. I dont play games really, but netbooks for gaming just don't make sense.

This would just about do it, http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_IdeaPad_S205_1091028.html. It's still 11.6", so it's still small, but it's a lot more powerful. More RAM, the AMD Radeon HD 6310M graphics will give it some chance of running MineCraft.

In short, the netbook you posted above will not do any kind of gaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Netbooks in general don't make sense. They are too similar to a regular laptop. Might as well find something in the 14" or 15.6" and get 2-3 times more computing power out of the deal for the same sum of money.

Advertisement