Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favorite Star Trek series?

Options
  • 01-12-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭

Also feel free to add your top 5 or 10 episodes.

My #1 series is TNG, here are my top 10 episodes:
    01 The Best Of Both Worlds (1) (1990)
    02 The Best Of Both Worlds (2) (1990)
    03 Ship In A Bottle (1993)
    04 Elementary, Dear Data (1988)
    05 Q Who? (1989)
    06 Time's Arrow (1) (1992)
    07 Time's Arrow (2) (1992)
    08 The Inner Light (1992)
    09 Timescape (1993)
    10 Yesterday's Enterprise (1990)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

What are your favorite Star Trek series? 53 votes

Star Trek (1966–1969)
    0% 0 votes
    Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994)
    13% 7 votes
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993–1999)
    43% 23 votes
    Star Trek: Voyager (1995–2001)
    32% 17 votes
    Star Trek: Enterprise (2001–2005)
    11% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm torn on this one. I liked TNG but I think DS9 was much darker and better written and I really like those aspects of it. Sometimes Star Trek comes across a bit goody two shoes and while perhaps that's a nice utopia, it's not very realistic. DS9 was much grittier and more my style of show. I think it was around Season 3/Season 4 that Sisko just turned into a great ass kicker and I liked that.

Voyager was ok-ish in parts, had a few good episodes here and there, but I think Enterprise actually might have been better. I really enjoyed the season long arc of the Expanse in Enterprise. One of Voyager's problems was that it would get blown to s*** one week and the next week it's all patched up and looking exactly like it did when it left the shipyard. I know they can replicate most of what they needed, but they at least should have had damage last a bit longer before it being repaired. Or even have it look out of place where they couldn't replicate what they needed and had to use something they got from another race or planet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

DS9. It's the only series that I would rewatch constantly. I loved the politics in the show. For a Star Trek show that "didnt go anywhere" it changed the landscape of Trek (even if it was never picked up again after DS9 wrapped up).

Some brilliant supporting characters (Garak, Dukat, Winn, Weyoun). These characters were more developed than main characters on other shows.

Whereas other shows struggled to create an enemy that could be sustained for the entire run, DS9 created three distinct races who were used throughtout the show.

I also quite liked how strong the women were on the show. Kira, Dax, Winn, the Female Changeling.

Loved the set of DS9 itself especially the Promenande.

Yeah I love it :)

I've restarted watching DS9 just over the last few days and currently working my way through season 1. Grand so far, but had to fast forward an awful episode called "Move along home".

I think most TV shows take a few series to get up and running, apart from 24 that is. It only took about 4-5 episodes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I'm always torn between TNG and DS9 to answer this question. Both had some brilliant characters, plots and memorable scenes. I'd probably go with DS9 for its continuing storyline with the Dominion war, and superior character relationships/dualities such as Bashir and O'Brien, Bashir and Garak, or Sisko and Gul Dukat. Then again TNG has Picard and Q. Still, DS9 shades it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Worztron

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    I'm always torn between TNG and DS9 to answer this question. Both had some brilliant characters, plots and memorable scenes. I'd probably go with DS9 for its continuing storyline with the Dominion war, and superior character relationships/dualities such as Bashir and O'Brien, Bashir and Garak, or Sisko and Gul Dukat. Then again TNG has Picard and Q. Still, DS9 shades it.

My fave in order are (the ones that stood out the most):
    #1 TNG
    #2 DS9
    #3 TOS

...that is why I allows for multi choice in the poll.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

TNG. I also like DS9 - not as much as TNG though.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

I sortof grew up with TNG during the early 90s so I always thought of that as my favourite. I'd watched DS9 and VOY but never really held them in as high regard.

I remember when watching DS9 that all the politics and religious stuff went completely over my head at the time and because DS9 had more of a continuous plot that TNG I found it harder to get into (I wasn't able to watch each episode in order) whereas TNG you could get away with missing a few and the tone or characters and relationships didn't change all that much.

However over the last few years I've been building up my Trek collection and last two months have been purchasing the Slimline DS9 sets. Just finished Season 4 this week and I have to see it's been just fantastic. I think as an adult now I'm appreciating more the themes of DS9 and overall it so far has shaded TNG in my favourites list.

I had a somewhat similar experience with VOY when watching it first, but at that stage I'd gotten Sky so was able to watch it more frequently. Didn't enjoy it as much as TNG at the time, but the Borg stuff was always interesting and cool to watch. I'm looking forward to eventually getting to those Slimlines after DS9.

Well that WAS my first post, had to make it a good 'un!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Anything with Seven of Nine in it........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

TNG for me. - So many great moments.

For DS9 - I missed the last 2 series, and recently caught up by watching re-edited episodes on youtube (with extended, over the top space battle scenes cut from other episodes, sci-fi games/movies etc.). they cut out all the lame character building stuff and stuck to the main plot arcs and interesting moments.

I'd like to see a re-edit of TNG as there were many short but key parts of the story arcs mentioned or touched upon, in some of the lamer episodes.

For newcommers it's a lot of guff to sit through to get to the gold.

I must get back to watching Enterprise, that tangent after 9-11 didn't sit well with me. It seemed to ride on the hysteria of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

the next generation all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

The ORIGINAL series by a far long shot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Should really look at the sticky post at the top of the page for a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

For me voyager was the best then TNG

I'm in the middle of re-watching DS9 and just finished the episode called "Defiant" last night where Tom Riker shows up and raises hell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

G-Money wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of re-watching DS9 and just finished the episode called "Defiant" last night where Tom Riker shows up and raises hell :D

I remember the ads on tv for that episode while the show was running...it was a total :confused::confused: fest

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I always laugh at Chekov's face when he gets the yoke
    of a troll in GAMESTERS OF TRISKELION while Kirk gets
    the gobsmacking Angelique Pettyjohn...

:D

;)

Advertisement