Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a baby in Oz

Options
  • 01-12-2011 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey I've just recently found out I am pregnant which is exciting and nerve racking!!
    I am currently in Ireland for a holiday and also waiting to hear from immigration about whether or not my defacto visa will be granted.
    We are currently undecided if all goes well as to whether we will have the baby here in Ireland or in Australia. Just wondering has anyone had a baby in Oz and how they found it I have heard it can be quite expensive. Any info appreciated.

Cheers Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

We were here two weeks when we discovered my wife was pregnant with our first kid.

Under the reciprocal agreement, you are fully covered for everything once the baby was conceived outside Australia. If thats not the case you're covered for all the medical bills but need to pay for the bed - around $900 per day I think. We found the standard of care to be amazing. Post birth care is amazing too - with fantastic levels of support.

Being honest though - I'd stay at home if you're pregnant. Despite all I said above, you don't have a support network around you (family or friends) and we've found it difficult. Had a trip home in November, and can't wait to move back to Ireland now - whenever that may be! (the withdrawal of the LAFHA will accelerate that! :D)

Advertisement