Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked out of house

• 01-12-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Sigh. My wife has closed the front door of the house (standard white pvc) with a key in the lock on the inside.

She's got the baby in her arms and is shouting at me in the phone in panic saying her key only goes 95% of the way in now and she can't open the door.

Any advice here? Any tips for how to get the key inside out? Is there any way to jiggle the door or work the key out?

Or is it lock smith time?

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

A hair clip might just push it out, but its a shot anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Damokc

Put key in a hit it a belt of a hammer or something hard? I've heard this works but I'd be slow in doing it. Could cause damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

mad m wrote: »
    A hair clip might just push it out, but its a shot anyway...
    No good, what is after happening here is that as his wife locked the door the key on the inside turned so it cannot be pushed in. If a hair clip would push it in so would the key on the outside.
    Op the same happened me a few years ago I had to open a window from the outside using a knife. Luckily the window was missing the plastic that keeps the latch firmly shut. I was able to pull the window out slightly on the bottom and use the knife to push the latch open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

If your windows were installed by a well known Co based in Munster, they will be beaded on the outside.
    Get a sharp knife, and pop the beads, from the 4 sides of a window, take out the D/G unit and climb in.

If you are reading this and want to break into my house, my beads are on the inside.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

is it a lever pad door, by that i mean has it an ordinary handle on the inside and just a pad on the outside where you close the door and can't open it from the outside without the key?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi lads,

Just to update. Macgyver would've been proud.

Managed to stick a wire hanger through the door, hook the key and eventually (after much wangling) managed to loosen the key out of the lock on the inside *just* enough to get the key in from the outside.

:)

Cheers for the all the advice.
    Quad

Advertisement