Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council rent book wants to know income but person is not working nor on dole!

Options
  • 01-12-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

Hello.

The daughter of my mothers friend has recently been let go of her job. She lives in a rented council house with her parents and she refuses to signon as she finds it too demeaning and humiliating. The council have just sent out the usual form wanting the list of people living in the house and their income (to calculate rent). How can she put in income when she is neither working nor on dole. She still exists but is invisable in the eyes of the council/government?

I'd appreciate if someone could give me advise to help her.

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If she has no income, put zero down for her. She could probably expect a call asking why she isn't claiming the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Worztron wrote: »
    Hello.

The daughter of my mothers friend has recently been let go of her job. She lives in a rented council house with her parents and she refuses to signon as she finds it too demeaning and humiliating. The council have just sent out the usual form wanting the list of people living in the house and their income (to calculate rent). How can she put in income when she is neither working nor on dole. She still exists but is invisable in the eyes of the council/government?

I'd appreciate if someone could give me advise to help her.

Thanks.
    She'll find it even more demeaning and humiliating if she gets evicted from her home when she can't afford the rent.

She is entitled to stamp money that she paid for herself through her PRSI contributions.

If she is still too stubborn, then I suppose she could get a letter from the Social to say she isn't in receipt of any payment and I presume she has some official documents to say she has been let go from her previous employment. Other than that, I'm not sure what she can do. Maybe something from the Revenue Commissioners that says she's not paying tax? Although, that doesn't prove she isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Worztron

If she has no income, put zero down for her. She could probably expect a call asking why she isn't claiming the dole.

Thanks. Perhaps she could phone the council in advance and explain that and then put down zero on the form to post off?

I think it is terrible that human beings are seen as being non-existent if they are temporarily "out of the system".

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I would assume you just put down zero but a call to the council is probably best to get their advice.

I cant relate to her feelings as thankfully I have never had to sign on but to be honest if I was out of work then I would.

We all pay PRSI for this very reason. She might find it demeaning but its an entitlement, there are 400k plus people in the same position as her so Id venture to say there isnt the same stigma attached to signing on now as there would ahve been during the celtic tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

from waht does she live? does she live from savings? she need to eat at least.
    she could put just down an appropriate amount, whatever might be plausible??
    they won't consider a person non existent, but if a person doesn't tell from what he/she's living the councils procedure would be afaik to presume a monthly minimum amount for living/rent often in the region of sw payments.
    why can't she tell the council she's living from some small savings???

• Advertisement
Advertisement