Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardy Winter veg

Options
  • 01-12-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I've just about harvested everything I grew in my Lidl Green house and from the garden so I was wondering, rather than leaving it idle over the winter is there any veg that grows straight through the winter and can be harvested in spring?

I ramped up my growing quite a bit this year and got lots of fresh veg and salad right through till now.
    I had Jalapenio, harbenero, cayene and sweet chillies, onions, peas, beans, carrots, tomatos, lettuce, potatos and a range of herbs.
    I've brough the herb box into the house at this stage to keep whats left alive and away from the cold.

But I was just wondering if anyone was growing through the winter and if so what good to plant?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Most of the pro growers that would be overwintering veg such as celery would have started in Oct to get some decent growth on before the plant completely slows down due to lack of light and lower air and soil temps around Xmas.

That said you can try

Cabbage- grows all year round. Round cabbage varieties best for winter.
    Brussel Sprouts- one crop IMHO that benefits from a good frost to improve its flavour.
    New Potatoes- First earlies like Homeguards
    Leeks- hardy enough winter veg
    Round Lettuce

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Brassicas are good to have in over winter.
    Kales etc do well especially during the hungry gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Also still not too late to plant overwintering Onion sets and some Garlic...i:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Brassicas are good to have in over winter.
    Kales etc do well especially during the hungry gap.

Except broccoli which is the flowering body so better suited to summer/autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Chard - what's it like to eat/flavour? Been working on planting plans for next year but never tasted it before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement