Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge library (new) opening hours - Outraged.

Options
  • 01-12-2011 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Is nobody else outraged by the new opening hours of the Newbridge library?.
    It used to be 9.30-1.00,2.00-5.00 Wednesday through Friday. The same on Saturday except starting at 10.00. Also, 2.00-8.00 Tuesday. No opening hours on Monday or Sunday. Now they've cut out all the morning opening hours ie. 9.30/10.00-1.00 bar thursday. What the hell? The past three years I've used the newbridge library to study over the breaks(mid term/x-mas etc..) and on the weekends. It's not fair on all the Leaving Cert students sitting exams this year. The library was always there for those who don't have a desk at home or live in a small/loud home. Why did they change the hours? Did some gob ****e do a survey over the summer when there would be no students and found that not many people were there in the morning? I'm fully raging, well, more upset if anything else. Any one else agree/disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

I agree but it is the same for all of the libraries in Kildare.

This is from the Kildare Nationalist.

Library opening hours to change
    Last Updated Sep 2011
    By: TCM Editorial

By Noel O’Driscoll

ATHY Library is to close on Saturdays and is to open to the public on Monday afternoons instead.

The library is also to provide ‘schedule time’ on Monday mornings to schools and community groups. The decision was taken following a review of library facilities in Kildare under the direction of Kildare County Librarian Breda Gleeson, as part of the Library Development Plan ‘Ideas Matter’.

In a letter to Athy Town Council members, Ms Gleeson said that usage of the Athy library was extremely poor on Saturdays so priority has been given to weekday afternoons and evenings opening as these are by far the busiest times.

Morning opening times will be accommodating class visits from primary schools as well as book groups, IT classes, active age, parent and toddler and other community groups. The library also aims to attract secondary school class visits for the first time with a view to improving literacy levels in response to national concerns about literacy levels in general.

Ms Gleeson reaffirmed the commitment of Kildare Library Service to the future of Athy Library. “We are expecting and planning for a very bright future for Athy Library and consequently have made very significant financial resources available in the past two years. Therefore we have been able to spend €200,000 on the building including the new Minihan Gallery, new furniture, desks, flooring, upgrading of stairways and an increase in the book fund and funds for other resources such as online educational opportunities. The children’s library has received particular attention and we have piloted the Toys, Technology and Training (TTT) project for children with special needs and their parents and teachers. This project is so successful that we are now providing it in North Kildare.”

Other changes announced following the review include the opening of the library in Kildare town on Saturday, lunchtime opening in Newbridge on Tuesdays and new ‘open door’ time on Monday afternoons in Naas as well as lunchtime opening on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There will be no changes in Monasterevin.
    There has also been an expansion of 24-hour online services as well as the addition shortly of 400 accredited online courses as an out-ofhours book return service.

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/201/itemId/12065/Library-opening-hours-to-change.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭timsnewbridge

Thanks alot for the info! Have to say I'm not impressed! I think college students studying for their exams is a bit more important than reading fairy tails to young kids and giving them toys!

Thanks alot for the info! Have to say I'm not impressed! I think college students studying for their exams is a bit more important than reading fairy tails to young kids and giving them toys!
    hahaha tales* this is why I need to study!!!

It's pretty crap alright. I used to use in during the leaving cert and before Christmas and Summer exams in college. Too many distractions at home and travelling to the college library when I wasn't in Dublin was just pointless. Are you doing evening study in your school? Perhaps speak to your principal about opening a few hours a day during the holdays so those affected can use a classroom to study in. It's not highly likely as the teacher's want their holidays too, but some can be very accommodating, and if you don't ask, you'll never know!

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    It's pretty crap alright. I used to use in during the leaving cert and before Christmas and Summer exams in college. Too many distractions at home and travelling to the college library when I wasn't in Dublin was just pointless. Are you doing evening study in your school? Perhaps speak to your principal about opening a few hours a day during the holdays so those affected can use a classroom to study in. It's not highly likely as the teacher's want their holidays too, but some can be very accommodating, and if you don't ask, you'll never know!
    I'm not actually doing the leaving, I'm in my second year of college and I go to Dublin too! As you said, It's horrible having to trek all the way up to Dublin just to get some study done when there is a library down the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

I'm not actually doing the leaving, I'm in my second year of college and I go to Dublin too! As you said, It's horrible having to trek all the way up to Dublin just to get some study done when there is a library down the road!

Ah you are one of them are you...the reason i have to keep the kids quiet when the fairy tales are being told.Bloody students :D:D

raven136 wrote: »
    Ah you are one of them are you...the reason i have to keep the kids quiet when the fairy tales are being told.Bloody students :D:D
    .................................................can't tell if trolling.

.................................................can't tell if trolling.

Not trolling.

Member of Newbridge Library making a joke.

New hours are a joke,whethe a student or a parent wanting to get down early etc.

raven136 wrote: »
    Not trolling.

Member of Newbridge Library making a joke.

New hours are a joke,whethe a student or a parent wanting to get down early etc.

Oh o.k are you the woman who used to read to the kids on the weekends? I think I know who you are haha.

Oh o.k are you the woman who used to read to the kids on the weekends? I think I know who you are haha.

Yeah im the woman who read at the weekends :rolleyes:

Actually a father of 2 young kids who enjoy the libray.

• Advertisement
Advertisement