Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate problems

Options
  • 01-12-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi

I have been living in a house for a year now with a few different people coming and going with no problems. A new girl moved in at the start of October and has been driving me mad since.

Its all stupid little things. She used the hand towels I put in the bathroom to dry herself from the shower, puts them on the radiator for a bit and then puts them back on the railing. After a week of this I had to stop putting towels in the bathroom so she went out and bought one.

Shes trying to save money and is on a diet. Which basically means she buys very little food and uses mine when she gets hungry! I have actually started to store some of my food in my room now because it is gone when I go down to eat it.

She doesn't seem to want to spend her money but has just came back from a long holiday and booked another one for January.

There is a cat in the house. And the no 1 rule is no cat in the kitchen so when she moved in I explained that the kitchen door needs to be kept closed. Not once has she closed the kitchen door. I have had to give up saying it to her.

There are more things.. all equally small but just add up to one big annoyance.

But the most annoying thing this week is that she started smoking. Outside always. But there are cigarette butts all over the ground at the back door. And she is using the toaster to light them. The top of the toaster has parts melted beside where she has lit it. Matches and lighters are cheap!!

She initially signed a lease to stay until January. But there is no sign of her planing to move then. Can I give her 30 days notice to move out? Obviously up to the end of her lease. How can I do this without making the next month unbearable between us. I would be happier paying for her room too than continuing to live with her.

I have the entire house leased out. Whereas the other two living here have signed their own individual leases for less time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its the most obvious answer but also the best.

talk to her about these things. from your post it would seem your just trying to hint a things mvoing towels moving food etc.

You need to actually say look here are the issues and see where it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

I mentioned about the towels, she said sorry and did the exact same thing the next day. She is the only other person who uses the bathroom.

I asked if she was going to smoke at the back door could she put the butts in a jar and she gave me a dirty look and said yea. And I walked in on her using the toaster as a lighter and she said it was because she had just lost her lighter. I said I wasnt happy with it. She did it anyway as soon as I left the room. It is getting melted at the top.

I'm beginning to feel like her mother constantly telling her what to do! Surely it should be an obvious thing that you don't keep eating someone else's food.

When I look at each issue individually I feel like im bitching over nothing but there are just too many things, I can no longer live with this girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭JaneyMacker

rabbit.84 wrote: »
    I mentioned about the towels, she said sorry and did the exact same thing the next day. She is the only other person who uses the bathroom.

I asked if she was going to smoke at the back door could she put the butts in a jar and she gave me a dirty look and said yea. And I walked in on her using the toaster as a lighter and she said it was because she had just lost her lighter. I said I wasnt happy with it. She did it anyway as soon as I left the room. It is getting melted at the top.

I'm beginning to feel like her mother constantly telling her what to do! Surely it should be an obvious thing that you don't keep eating someone else's food.

When I look at each issue individually I feel like im bitching over nothing but there are just too many things, I can no longer live with this girl.

Dont feel bad.
    Some people are just annoying. Some people are particularly annoying to you personally. You shouldnt have to put up with them. They are the ones who should feel bad. Boot them out.

rabbit.84 wrote: »

I dont think your bitching over nothing. some people are just incosiderrate bad housemates.

if you have already spoken to her about these things and they are still happening then the next step is to being it up again and make it clear that if things stay the same way they are you are going to have to ask her to move out in Janurary when her lease is up.

now of course you will need to give more info on the rental situaiotn to see if thats a valid threat or not.

are you renting rooms individually from a landlord or are you subletting a room to her ?

if its the latter then you have every right to tell her come jan shes out as the end of her licensee agreement with you will not entitle her to garner any rental protections based on her renting a room and not the property.

I would of course approach the discussion in a non combatitive way though to allow her the opportunity to change her habits without getting to heavy handed to hearly in the conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

D3PO wrote: »
    now of course you will need to give more info on the rental situaiotn to see if thats a valid threat or not.

are you renting rooms individually from a landlord or are you subletting a room to her ?

Myself and the other girl in the house are on one lease as we are living here a long time. When she moved in and said she would probably only stay for 3 months the landlord gave her a separate lease just for her room. Our lease covers the whole house. I don't know if that was the correct way it should have been done or not.

The lease on the whole house is up at the end of the year anyway and we are not signing a new one for another year. Just a one page written agreement that we will give 30days notice of when we want to move out or if the landlord wants us out.

I might just contact the landlord and see what he recommends. I get on very well with him anyway.

• Advertisement

ok sounds like she is renting from the landlord and not you. therfore you have no ability or right to threaten kicking her out.

however the best approach to take i suggest is you discuss with your landlord tell him the situation that you had tried to amicably resolve this with her and she is ignoring you to the point yo dont feel comfortable living there anymore.

Tell him that your not compatible to live together and therefore the only way forward is for one of you to move out. Your not exactly telling him to kick her but if your the longer term tennant and get on well with the landlord then hes going to want to keep you there rather than her.

if he doesnt sort it then simply put leave at the end of the lease.

Advertisement