Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche fees over the Xmas

Options
  • 01-12-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello all.
    Does anyone know what the usual arrangement is re paying creche fees over xmas?
    the creche our little girl goes to will be closed for the fortnight, although I've heard that the full fees will be payable in advance of xmas? Is this the norm?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

In our creche, the creche closes for a week and the parents don't have to pay for that week. We also get a week off in summer when the creche closes for holidays. But it is probably individual to each creche. It is probably best to speak to the creche owner/manger to clarify the situation for you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it depends on whether your creche have pro-rated out the payments over 50 weeks or 52 weeks.

Staff still have to be paid even through the creche is not open (i am sure you get paid when your company is closed over christmas).

you would need to talk to the creche

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Its the norm down here, you can take holidays though and dont have to pay them then, same as if your in work you can take 4 weeks holidays a year, same goes for some but not all creche's.

You could ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We pay for 52 weeks regardless of whether we take holidays etc. they only close over Christmas so its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I think in Dublin it is definetly the norm to pay over Christmas, although I would think most creches only close for one week not two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Thanks for the replies. The reason I posted the question on here is the creche owner is away til Monday, was chatting to some parents yesterday and it came up, no-one was sure.
    Anyways, it appears to be the done thing.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Did you sign a contract with terms and conditions? The closure period is included in ours. Our crèche also has all their policies up on a wall in reception. I think closing for a fortnight is excessive but I suppose it depends on what you signed up for. Our crèche are actually closed for 3 working days. I have to arrange for babysitters as we're both working those days but I'm sure his grannies will be delighted to take him (I hope!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on your initial contract and if they are only closed for the public holidayc or taking holidays.
    It would usually be the norm to pay the same every month no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Awwwwfook

we pay for the week they close for Christmas!

Advertisement