Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What army is the best of the best

• 01-12-2011 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I think it is the seals because they killed Bin Laden.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

The seals, actually arent an army... they are one unit of one branch of the united states armed forces....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Really? You never mentioned it.....much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Morphéus wrote: »
    The seals, actually arent an army... they are one unit of one branch of the united states armed forces....
    So who do you think it is?
    Spetznatz?
    Garda Reserve?
    Marines?
    Royal Marines?
    French Foreign Legion?
    Ancient Spartans?
    Delta Force?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Calm down dear, you'll do yourself an injury.

Best at what?

Marching, drilling
    Loyalty to the Head of State
    Peacekeeping
    Producing useful citizens post military service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The one with the best PR agent.

Ceasar proved that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭davetherave

So who do you think it is?
    Spetznatz?
    Garda Reserve?
    Marines?
    Royal Marines?
    French Foreign Legion?
    Ancient Spartans?
    Delta Force?

None of those are "armies", they are all just units within a branch of a nations armed forces.
    Spetsnaz are part of Russian Army.
    RM are part of the Naval Service, along with the royal Navy
    Delta Force operate under the US Army.

If you want to get into which "unit" is the best in the world, then everybody knows that it is the 65th Batt :rolleyes::cool::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Olivers Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

None of those are "armies", they are all just units within a branch of a nations armed forces.

If you want to get into which "unit" is the best in the world, then everybody knows that it is the 65th Batt :rolleyes::cool::pac:

The Spartans were an army.

The one with the best PR agent.
    Ceasar proved that

Where did Ceaser keep his armies?

Up his sleevies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The Salvation Army

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads... Dads Army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

The Sri lankan army might be worth a look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Not only are the Seals not even an army, they're not even soldiers seeing as they're in the Navy. Oh and never call a Marine a 'soldier'. A punch in the mouth often offends.

The best army in the world is the one that beats your army.

Oh and davetherave, the 65th is merely a number. The best unit was the 20th Battalion and the best Company was D, An Piarsach.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

You are wrong.

66th was the greatest. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Lads... Dads Army

to be fair, they do not like it up em....

I keep forgetting (because I'm old) I used to be part of Jackie's Army, the very best - we used to put 'em under pressure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PT65I2ny8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

How old are you?
    The Spartans were an army.

No.....Spartans were people who lived in Sparta....

Roman Legions,
    The Samurai,
    The Ninjas,
    Cu Chullain,
    The Red Branch Knights,
    The Fianna,
    The Wild Geese,
    The 65th battalion,
    The 66th Batallion,
    The American Army

These are all great but I think there are two best armies
    the seals are the best army because they killed bin laden
    the red branch knights are the best army because they conquered howth
    the american army is the best army because they beat the Germans

For an insurgency army - I'd suggest The Viet Cong.

For counter insurgency - I'd suggest The Chilean and Argentine armed forces in the 1970's

All the above achieved total success in difficult circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

amurph0 wrote: »
    How old are you?

lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Swiss Guard. Having to wear that bright uniform in public would test the steel of anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Roman Legions,
    The Samurai,
    The Ninjas,
    Cu Chullain,
    The Red Branch Knights,
    The Fianna,
    The Wild Geese,
    The 65th battalion,
    The 66th Batallion,
    The American Army

Please please tell me he/she is having a wind up or else "intellectually challenged"

Pmsl they say there are two best armies, give 3 examples, yet only 1 is an army !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Roman Legions,
    The Samurai,
    The Ninjas,
    Cu Chullain,
    The Red Branch Knights,
    The Fianna,
    The Wild Geese,
    The 65th battalion,
    The 66th Batallion,
    The American Army

There are so many many things wrong with this post that I haveta assume its an early April fools joke!
    Samurai for one thing are not an army, The word means 'To Serve' It was the Japanese equivalant of knighthood in Liege service!
    They closest analogue would be a european knight in service to a liege lord as a vassal....

As for the rest of it, I don't think the Russians, the British, The Canadians, The free French and all the other countries that contributed to the defeat of Germany will be too pleased to know they coulda gone home early cos the yanks had this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Don't feed a troll.... its an impossible argument or else the thoughts of an 8 year old lad playing guns. As there is no discernable measure. Bar blatant speculation.

Afghan Freedom Fighters? Part 1 a success (USSR), part 2 (US) pending the judgement of history...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Task Force 141 :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Afghan Freedom Fighters? Part 1 a success (USSR), part 2 (US) pending the judgement of history...

Part 2 is not pending. Its over, the Afghan insurgency controls 90%+. I would say if they went to war, the Germans, again.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Part 2 is not pending. Its over, the Afghan insurgency controls 90%+. I would say if they went to war, the Germans, again.

The Germans are involved in an armed conflict, With the Taliban which, according to you, they have lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Perhaps these chaps could qualify.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbtcmjfKa8

• Advertisement

Anyone seen Black Hawk Down?

The Germans are involved in an armed conflict, With the Taliban which, according to you, they have lost.

Germany has a mere 5,000 troops in relatively quiet areas of Afghanistan. Out of those 5,000 they probably have little over 1,000 combat troops. Out of those, few if any engage enemies with any regularity. No, Germany has not lost in Afghanistan. This is a glorified peace-keeping mission.

However, the British and Americans, who are fighting the war for all intents and purposes, have lost. They control less than 10% of the Country.

Germany has a mere 5,000 troops in relatively quiet areas of Afghanistan. Out of those 5,000 they probably have little over 1,000 combat troops. Out of those, few if any engage enemies with any regularity. No, Germany has not lost in Afghanistan. This is a glorified peace-keeping mission.

However, the British and Americans, who are fighting the war for all intents and purposes, have lost. They control less than 10% of the Country.

I've no idea whether The US have lost or not. If, as you say, they have lost, what do you think the main reasons are?

I've no idea whether The US have lost or not. If, as you say, they have lost, what do you think the main reasons are?

There are over 90 resistance factions opposing the occupation, not just the Taliban (Who make up 2, albeit larger, out of those 90). These groups have gradually regained control through asymmetry, something they are keen experts in. A mixture of guerilla tactics and conventional fights, the latter of which are under-reported, the Afghans are good conventional tacticians as well. Such a mess is NATO's occupation that they now hold onto small only areas of land, venture out with increasingly less frequent 'patrols'. The surge last year was their final try, it failed. They are now focusing, whether they admit it or not, on withdrawal.

Withdrawal is difficult, they have millions of tons of land-based equipment and they now can't even get it back out through the route they entered through in 2001. I seriously doubt the USA will remain in Afghanistan untill 2014, not at this capacity.

Withdrawal is difficult, they have millions of tons of land-based equipment and they now can't even get it back out through the route they entered through in 2001. I seriously doubt the USA will remain in Afghanistan untill 2014, not at this capacity.
    +1. So the lessons of history remain unlearned.

NATO /US /The Alliance or whatever the current invaders are called will retreat with their tails between their legs leaving vehicles, arms and other materials in their wake, just like the Soviets, the British and so on back to the Russians, the Moguls, the Mongols and Alexander the Great. No one seems to understand that the country and its people are unconquerable and the only lasting thing they'll leave behind is an abiding hatred and mistrust for all "non-Afghans".

LL

• Advertisement

mathepac wrote: »
    +1. So the lessons of history remain unlearned.

NATO /US /The Alliance or whatever the current invaders are called will retreat with their tails between their legs leaving vehicles, arms and other materials in their wake, just like the Soviets, the British and so on back to the Russians, the Moguls, the Mongols and Alexander the Great. No one seems to understand that the country and its people are unconquerable and the only lasting thing they'll leave behind is an abiding hatred and mistrust for all "non-Afghans".

i do not think sp. The seals already got bin laden and belileve me the taliban are next

i do not think sp. The seals already got bin laden and belileve me the taliban are next

cool story bro.

History channel says the spartans were the delta force of the ancient world. so who was the seals of the ancient world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

History channel says the spartans were the delta force of the ancient world. so who was the seals of the ancient world?

The Sirens of course.

Do you mind taking the question seriously?
    The Sirens are mythical unlike the seals who are legendary!

I think that Fianna warriors were the seals of the ancient world. Unless it was the Persian immortals (not really immortal imo).

Edit:
    Found out that D Company of the 20th Batt of the elite FCA were the best ever unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Do you mind taking the question seriously?
    The Sirens are mythical unlike the seals who are legendary!

I think that Fianna warriors were the seals of the ancient world. Unless it was the Persian immortals (not really immortal imo).

I realise I'm feeding the troll but what the hell, why not?

You ask can we take the thread seriously, then talk about Fianna Warriors of mythology and "Persian Immortals" .... oh yeah, that makes sense.

How about the Ultimate Warriors of Sdraob, they were the best in their day (some claim they still are). Haven't heard of them? That's because I made it up, just like the Fianna warriors and the Persian Immortals are made up ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

If they actually did that.. then they didn't do that alone and relied upon years of war and intelligence backup from other sources without which they wouldn't have achieved their aim so you should probably just state the American forces as an answer. All you can do is look at the probabilities. Do you count how well they are equipped such as weaponry ? If so then it's in reality practically a stalemate between all Nuclear enabled powers. Silly question I probably asked my da when I was 7 imo lol

The Rook wrote: »
    I realise I'm feeding the troll but what the hell, why not?

You ask can we take the thread seriously, then talk about Fianna Warriors of mythology and "Persian Immortals" .... oh yeah, that makes sense.

How about the Ultimate Warriors of Sdraob, they were the best in their day (some claim they still are). Haven't heard of them? That's because I made it up, just like the Fianna warriors and the Persian Immortals are made up ....
    The Fianna Warriors are NOT made up you need to head over to the history forum mate LOL and have a bit of pride in Ireland.

Apparently the Irish Rangers are the best of the best !
    Will the Irish Rangers take you if you have a masters and you are in your late 30s? If a hypothetical person also have professional certification in project management can he become a Ranger?

Edit:
    D Company of the 20th Batt of the elite FCA were the best ever unit. Just found this out so need for any further discussion.
    Unless it is B Company of 14 Batt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

On the amount of wars won . The Israeli army has has to be a strong contender for being the best army in the world, as for the best unit that would be the 14 Batt ,B company Fca they win hands down:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Marcus Luttrell is he best of the best of the best sir.

On a side now.. has anyone been watching One Man Army on Discovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AJ1

The Royal Marines

(okay not an army but y'know hey....):D

<--- Unashamedly biased;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Will the Irish Rangers take you if you have a masters and you are in your late 30s? If a hypothetical person also have professional certification in project management can he become a Ranger?
    I'm guessing but I think I'm on safe ground when I say NO! I'd say it would be hard enough to get any kind of job these days when you hit your late thirties. You'd have a better chance of being selected to play for Manchester United.

Besides, this has been settled some time ago. D Company of the 20th Batt of the elite FCA were the best ever unit. We were nearly fully trained and almost fired the 60 mm mortar and we even flew in a helicopter......once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

C Coy 13 Bn. End thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

The Fianna Warriors are NOT made up you need to head over to the history forum mate LOL and have a bit of pride in Ireland.

Apparently the Irish Rangers are the best of the best !
    No offence but I thought this was a wind up :)

Now do you mean the irish rangers as in the Army Ranger wing of the Irish Defence Forces!?
    Sure theyll take you if in your mid thirties with a masters... as long as you are already in the full time army and pass the Ranger selection course...

anyway, everyone knows that Leman Russ and the Space Wolves are the greatest army EVER!!!

The Fianna warriors were the seals!??? this is awesome!!! tell us more about the irish seals... or were they selkies?

xflyer wrote: »
    Besides, this has been settled some time ago. D Company of the 20th Batt of the elite FCA were the best ever unit. We were nearly fully trained and almost fired the 60 mm mortar and we even flew in a helicopter......once.
    Cool thanks for settling this I appreciate it.
    But don't forget B Company 14 Batt!

• Advertisement
Advertisement