Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound breaks up on hifi when loud

• 01-12-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi there, I'll start by saying I don’t know much about sound systems so i am hoping someone here will be able to help me with a problem I’m having. I have a Philips MCD908 hifi (had it for about 2 years now) and it has been working fine all this time. In the last few days though it seems to have problems playing loud volume - the sound starts to break up. Only at the loud bit, when things quieten down it is fine. The thing is, this has only started happening recently, and I have not changed cables or started playing sound extra loud than normal or anything. I say this because I have googled this and everyone suggests the speakers capabilities etc, but I know this hifi is able to play loud sounds because it has done so successfully for years. I have tried loud audio from an ipod plugged in, a laptop, and a DVD playing in the hifi itself, all have the same problem. I have tried re-seating cables but this hasn’t helped either. Any ideas what’s going on anyone? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It could be that your speakers are starting to fail. This may be due to physical wear and tear of the speakers.

You may need to consider new speakers. Can you borrow speakers from a friend or such, to try them with your setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Does the sound "break up" on both speakers ? If not then I doubt it's a speaker issue ! Break up could be overuse of the Loudness button or Bass control where the amp is being driven to saturation. Disable the loudness button and turn the Bass to 0 and find out if it still breaks up.

If the sound breaks up and turning the volume down doesn't help then it's probably because you are overdriving the input. If the source is an iPod for example then turn down the volume on the iPod and see if the sound improves ?

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

well, thanks for the suggestions guys, and sorry for having wasted your time, but when i went to take the whole lot apart and replace with my PC speakers temporarily, i noticed that a cable going into the speakers was kind of loose - i resat it and sound is OK again ... phew! I know I said I hadn't messed with cables or anything so I didnt suspect cables would be the problem, but I guess the cat must've run into it and loosened it or something.

Anyway all is well again thank goodness! Thanks for your time and suggestions anyway

Advertisement