Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread bin - what should I be looking for?

Options
  • 01-12-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭

Having purchased a bread maker a few months ago, we are making a lot of bread but don't have a bread bin.

What features should I be looking for in a bread bin?
    Do they need to be air tight? Wood? Metal? Plastic? Ceramic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A container with a good airtight seal would probably be best as it would keep the bread fresher for a bit longer.

Then again, there are the practicalities to think of... It my seem trivial, but every time you want to get a your bread do you really want to have to use both hands to open an airtight bread bin. For the sake of convenience - something with an easily-opened flip-up lid may be a lot more practical.

While not airtight - I've used something similar to this for ages. Easy to open & keeps the flies, mice, whatever, away from it. Bread in my house doesn't usually last long enough to get stale anyway.
    16_breadbin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

A container with a good airtight seal would probably be best as it would keep the bread fresher for a bit longer.

Then again, there are the practicalities to think of... It my seem trivial, but every time you want to get a your bread do you really want to have to use both hands to open an airtight bread bin. For the sake of convenience - something with an easily-opened flip-up lid may be a lot more practical.

While not airtight - I've used something similar to this for ages. Easy to open & keeps the flies, mice, whatever, away from it. Bread in my house doesn't usually last long enough to get stale anyway.
    16_breadbin.jpg

I have a metal one which is a very similar shape but the lid holds on with a magnet. Its a little more airtight as a result and the shape is good. THe flat top means that you can keep the radio on it.

Advertisement