Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Games for a 6 year old

Options
  • 01-12-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

My nephew is a getting a PS3 of his own for xmas, he loves Metal Gear Solid and he has finished Uncharted 3, im looking to get him a cheaper game if I can because money is tight and besides there are so many great budget titles avaialble, thinking perhaps God of war 3

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With the amount of titties and gore in God of War 3 I'm not sure it's suitable for a 6 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

My nephew is a getting a PS3 of his own for xmas, he loves Metal Gear Solid and he has finished Uncharted 3, im looking to get him a cheaper game if I can because money is tight and besides there are so many great budget titles avaialble, thinking perhaps God of war 3

would god of war not be unsuitable for a 6 year old as there is a lot of fighting and nakedness in it?

i was going to suggest little big planet. either 1 or 2 but obviously he has out grown them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    With the amount of titties and gore in God of War 3 I'm not sure it's suitable for a 6 year old.

hes going on 7:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Off the top of my head, on the budget side of things there's:

LittleBigPlanet 2
    ICO / Shadow Of The Colossus HD Collection
    Enslaved: Odyssey To The West
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Infamous
    Transformers: War For Cybertron

None of which involve
    the main character gouging out a guy's eyes, ripping someone elses head off, chopping another dudes legs off or a mini-game where you have sex with Aphrodite...even if it is off screen
    which make it slightly unsuitable for a six year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Rayman Origins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Boobs only mean dinner to kids !!

I would get Rayman Origins i love it and im a big 6 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Download Nobi-Nobi Boy from the Playstation Store :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

If the age rating isnt suitabke for a 6 year old i wouldnt get him anything above it. The following are good games and have been out along time to get them cheap.

Folklore
    Heavenly Sword
    Overlord
    Final Fantasy XIII
    The Sims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Age rating is sometimes a good guide to how difficult the game is also.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have to say I think a PS3 is wasted on a 6-year old!

The Ratchett and Clanks>?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

hes going on 7:)

What exactly is your point here? It's completely unsuitable for a 6 year old but you think him turning 7 changes that?

If he likes football get him last years fifa, if not get something like Rayman origins or little big planet 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

My son is 6 and loves the LEGO games, Star Wars particularly, but by the sounds of things the lad in question would be too accustomed to the realistic shooting and killing in other games to be bothered with such "childish" games:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah God of War is completely unsuitable for a 6 year old, stop trying to be the cool uncle and try thinking about whats best for the kid.
    Theres tons of games on the playstation marketplace that would be suitable for a kid and are fairly cheap as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

6 year old who's played Metal Gear Solid! Nice :D

I'd go with Little Big Planet as well. Looks childish, but it's amazing, fun for all ages

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Lego games and Toy Story 3 isnt bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

noodler wrote: »
    I have to say I think a PS3 is wasted on a 6-year old!

BS

For the past year all ever does when he comes over to the house is spend the day on the PS3 and we have the Wii too, if that isnt under the tree xmas morning there will be war:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I recommend Battle Raper series... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You should get him a football and let him play outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

You should get him a football and let him play outside.

Yea get him Fifa 12

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Your 6yo nephew will turn into a well-adjusted individual, now that he knows all about shooting people in the face repeatedly. :rolleyes:

google image: "war has changed"
    ride_with_hitler-2289_640x480.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Your 6yo nephew will turn into a well-adjusted individual, now that he knows all about shooting people in the face repeatedly. :rolleyes:

I played Doom when I was 6.

Even then, I knew it was only a ****ing game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

thorbarry wrote: »
    I played Doom when I was 6.

Even then, I knew it was only a ****ing game

This is always the arguement of people who played games when they were young and are now older. Doom, while was groundbreaking visually back then, was still extremely easily distinguishable from real-life. However, the latest CoD, Battlefield, Uncharted, etc are all way more life-like, and going by how much i though games back in Doom days were realistic, if i was a child nowadays i'd have a constant stalker with the realism of games these days.

Realism creates immersion, and the more realistic (usually) the more immersive, especially for younger kids. My brother-in-law rang me up asking me about pre-owned games, so i told him the dos and don'ts of buying pre-owned. He then told me he got Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 for his 8-year old son. I would have slapped him if i was beside him. My sister is split with him and she keeps saying to me that the young fella is constantly going on about shooting people in the head!!!

So, there's a recommended age rating for a reason. If it's 18's, i wouldn't let anyone under 16 play it. Same, if it's 16's (which i believe Cod and BF are), i wouldn't let anyone under 14 play it. Why can't people understand this???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

This is always the arguement of people who played games when they were young and are now older. Doom, while was groundbreaking visually back then, was still extremely easily distinguishable from real-life. However, the latest CoD, Battlefield, Uncharted, etc are all way more life-like, and going by how much i though games back in Doom days were realistic, if i was a child nowadays i'd have a constant stalker with the realism of games these days.

Realism creates immersion, and the more realistic (usually) the more immersive, especially for younger kids. My brother-in-law rang me up asking me about pre-owned games, so i told him the dos and don'ts of buying pre-owned. He then told me he got Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 for his 8-year old son. I would have slapped him if i was beside him. My sister is split with him and she keeps saying to me that the young fella is constantly going on about shooting people in the head!!!

So, there's a recommended age rating for a reason. If it's 18's, i wouldn't let anyone under 16 play it. Same, if it's 16's (which i believe Cod and BF are), i wouldn't let anyone under 14 play it. Why can't people understand this???

Please provide proof that backs up the 'arguments' in bold. And no,your little anecdotes are irrelevant,

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

Fine, i'll do it.

OP is a troll, you're all posting in a troll topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

Also, I disagree that the "realism" of today's games makes them any different in relation to the games I played when I was a child.

I played all of the syphon filters from when I was about 10 and I believed them to be completely realistic (even the legendary stealth missions). I am also pretty sure that my first ever game was killer instinct on the snes which I bought after my communion, so like 7 or 8 years old. If you don't know what "killer instinct" is, have a guess based on its name.

I do not believe that people have a problem telling the difference between a game and real life. Some may be influence by games, but I wonder is it any different to people who are influenced by what they see on TV or hear on the radio?

Games are entertainment and should be treated as such, if you don't let your child watch movies about sex and murder then don't let him play GTA. If you allow him to watch war movies, then allow him to play COD or BF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There are different levels of war movies though.

Older ones especially focus more on characters and situations.
    Newer ones seem to focus more on gore and headshots.

HMMMMMM...

Advertisement