Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dealing with telling a child about death

Options
  • 01-12-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

dont want to go into too much detail but my best friend in the world called me this morning to tell me her uncle who lived all his life with her family has died. she is devasted as is all her family.

im shocked he was such a gentleman never a bad word to say about anyone or anything.

the thing is im sitting in work knowing i now have to go home and tell my little boy he is dead he was close to him from being up in their house all the time he is ten and is such a strong little man but i know this is going to upset him alot. its my first time to have to deal with the death of someone close to him

any advice i want to be honest with him but i dont want to break his little heart...xx

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Be straightforward and honest with him. Answer any questions he might have about death, and allow him to be upset. Kids are remarkably tough. He will handle this better than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

+1 on what Oryx has said.
    I had to grapple with how i would tell my son that his mam had died when he was 3.
    Be honest, answer every question as honestly and as simply as you can.
    Death is never a pleasent esperience, but it can be a learning one, by dealing with it openly and honestly you can give your child a good grounding for dealing with future bereavement too.
    Be prerpared for you to be upset, even more than him...
    Kids are amazingly resilient, and I'll be honest in my own experience.....
    Their resilience, and strength is an inspiration.
    In my case anyways watching my son adjust to changed circumstances kept me going on days I just wanted to curl up and block out the world.
    I'm sorry for your loss and I hope ye both cope well.

Advertisement