Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Panel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Think it said they expect 27,000 to apply, I can't see them confining themselves to 1,100 reserves when they have the pick of 27,000. I'm sure they are all voters and want jobs as well so the government will want to court them and their votes. Anyway everyone should have an equal employment opportunity, especially those who had to leave for work who couldn't join the reserve! I do hope that those who made the panel are given priority for the first intake if they still meet the medical requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

I do hope that those who made the panel are given priority for the first intake if they still meet the medical requirements
    I think that would be fair. The people on the panel have hung around here, kept themselves fit and active in the event of getting a call. To have background checks done again, medical and fitness is fine I think, but to have to go back to stage 1 after having previously passed everything that was asked of us in the may 2008 recruitment campaign is very unfair I think.
    It all remains to be seen I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kevie84

Has anyone actually rang head quarters regarding the panel, all this speculation is simply resolved with a phone conversation. I have been on the panel for years and can’t see why dedicated individuals like myself and others have stayed fit and motivated for this opportunity have now to reapply for no apparent reason.
    I am planning a letter of complaint as to why more tax payer’s money is to be wasted when savings can already be made by taking from the current panel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

kevie84 wrote: »
    Has anyone actually rang head quarters regarding the panel, all this speculation is simply resolved with a phone conversation. I have been on the panel for years and can’t see why dedicated individuals like myself and others have stayed fit and motivated for this opportunity have now to reapply for no apparent reason.
    I am planning a letter of complaint as to why more tax payer’s money is to be wasted when savings can already be made by taking from the current panel.

I don't really understand the confusion surrounding the panel. The Minister effectively stated last February that it would not be taken into consideration when a new campaign starts.

Unfair I know, but not surprising considering the current panel has been in place for years and that the contract and training for new entrants will have changed when recruitment does restart.

Garda recruits panel have to re-apply for jobs
    ... "In light of this and in view of the fact that the existing garda recruitment panel is now approximately five years old, it is unlikely that the existing panel will be used in any future recruitment," the Minister said ...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

The confusion is that we were never officially notified so unless you follow these threads on board people on the panel wouldn't have a clue Shatter made these comments.

I e-mailed Shatter's office a few weeks ago and got the reply below. It looks ominous but he states that no final decision has been made yet. I would advise people here that are on the panel to e-mail him for the sake of making him aware there might be a small backlash if we are scrapped at this stage.

I can understand things have changed in five years but if the appitude test and interview format are the same I don't see why we should have to repeat these, costing us and the government money.

"I am directed by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Mr Alan
    Shatter T.D., to refer to your recent email regarding the recruitment
    panel.

The Minister intends bringing proposals to Government shortly in relation
    to the strength of the Garda Síochána and when recruitment might
    recommence. While no final decision has been taken in relation to the
    recruitment panel created as a result of the last recruitment process, the
    fact that this panel is now approximately five years old gives rise to
    significant issues which will have to be taken into account.

The Minister understands that those on the panel are seeking clarity and he
    will ensure that you are notified as soon as a decision is reached.

I trust this clarifies the situation for you."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

The panel will definatly have to do medical/fitness and background tests again. In my opinion it is easier to put them through the whole process with the other 27000. The whole argument of wasting taxpayers money won't float if you ask me. What is the extra cost of 150 people on the panel going through the process if they will be doing tens of thousands of people anyway. If they are going to the bother of doing a new campaign that tells me that the panel are gone. It would have been already said that there was a panel to go trough first and remaining places open for competition if that was the case but nothing like that was said

Hold your fire with your letter until your sure whats happening, you don't want to bring attention on yourself when your at their mercy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

thekopend wrote: »
    The panel will definatly have to do medical/fitness and background tests again. In my opinion it is easier to put them through the whole process with the other 27000. The whole argument of wasting taxpayers money won't float if you ask me. What is the extra cost of 150 people on the panel going through the process if they will be doing tens of thousands of people anyway. If they are going to the bother of doing a new campaign that tells me that the panel are gone. It would have been already said that there was a panel to go trough first and remaining places open for competition if that was the case but nothing like that was said

Totally agree with you on this one. Hopefully we're wrong but the Minister would have said it by now if we were going to be taken down to Templemore.

I think it speaks volumes that so many of us have stayed interested, fair play to everyone who has and if the tests are to be re-done, it can only be a positive thing at the interview stage that this is your second crack at it having been already cleared for entry to Templemore in the past.

kdarragh wrote: »

I think it speaks volumes that so many of us have stayed interested, fair play to everyone who has and if the tests are to be re-done, it can only be a positive thing at the interview stage that this is your second crack at it having been already cleared for entry to Templemore in the past.
    Well here's hoping we get some serious consideration to stay put seeing as we did all the necessary bits at the time to get through in 2008/9.
    Shatter hasn't fully confirmed if the panel is to be kept. In fairness, it wasn't our fault they closed the gates on us

I'm planning on contacting HQ tomorrow to find out in detail what is happening but as per the guys down there will be as much in the dark as ourselves.
    It's probable that we may have to reapply and take it stage by stage again, expectance of 27000 to apply for what I'd imagine would be 100 places . Staying positive but that's like a 2% chance ha ha

• Advertisement

I'm planning on contacting HQ tomorrow to find out in detail what is happening but as per the guys down there will be as much in the dark as ourselves.
    It's probable that we may have to reapply and take it stage by stage again, expectance of 27000 to apply for what I'd imagine would be 100 places . Staying positive but that's like a 2% chance ha ha
    That's all we can do Kevie and fingers crossed they will be able to tell us something. If we need to reapply we will. I certainly will anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

0.37% chance.

kdarragh wrote: »
    0.37% chance.

Ha ha fine math mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Figures of 4-500 being thrown about today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Figures of 4-500 being thrown about today

Dunno if it's anything but my store manager told me today that it's definitely 400 they are taking on. He said also that with such a high volume of applications there will be a new process. He agreed that taking from the pool of reserves would be the most reasonable option, but it's not legal.

Again all hear say until Shatter says so. I'm in the Reserves and been honest its literally a free for all application wise. Best of luck, if you get in consider yourself extremely talented.

msg11 wrote: »
    Best of luck, if you get in consider yourself extremely talented.

yah either that or you have more pull than the rest of the applicants :rolleyes:

thekopend wrote: »
    yah either that or you have more pull than the rest of the applicants :rolleyes:

That's always a great consolation line for those who don't make it!!

That's always a great consolation line for those who don't make it!!

thats reality..

Its all about luck, do you stand out from the rest etc what skills you have. I will be applying. They cant pull from reserves as its not legal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Its all about luck, do you stand out from the rest etc what skills you have. I will be applying. They cant pull from reserves as its not legal

Can you support that claim regarding the legality of pulling from the reserves !

• Advertisement

3fullback wrote: »
    Can you support that claim regarding the legality of pulling from the reserves !

Employment act , equal opportunities etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

By way the Minister is talking I do feel it will be an 'open door' recruitment,

Unfortunately (If it happened) it would be bad news for panel members,and it really would be, I do feel sorry for their wait,

I m sure an interview board would be impressed by both a previous panel member and serving reserve!,

I guess it comes down to doing a decent aptitude test :)

But surly if everyone who was taken in was a reserve the public have no case as they clearly have more experience !

But surly if everyone who was taken in was a reserve the public have no case as they clearly have more experience !

Its different and longer training for full time, i know a reservist and full time gaurd and they agree on this, its going to be open to anyone, just as your in the reserves doesn't mean you get in, you have to do the full lot like everyone else. at the end of the day your still a civilian and not a public sector worker

I will be applying and have been registered on public jobs for a while. It will be very interesting to see how they handle such a large volume of applications. I would expect if your family has experience in this sector ie prisons , gaurds then they will look at you more favorably.

True,

But the govt will prob want a 'broad' mix of recruits which bring different benefits ie from the panel,reserves and general public.

each bringing different qualities and experiences to the job :)

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Its different and longer training for full time, i know a reservist and full time gaurd and they agree on this, its going to be open to anyone, just as your in the reserves doesn't mean you get in, you have to do the full lot like everyone else. at the end of the day your still a civilian and not a public sector worker

Just to state that a Garda Reserve is not a civilian.As it states on their identity card ........they are a member of An Garda Siochana and carry the rank of Reserve Garda

Raider190 wrote: »
    Just to state that a Garda Reserve is not a civilian.As it states on their identity card ........they are a member of An Garda Siochana and carry the rank of Reserve Garda

That's absolutely correct

This is exactly the case. Take the Private sector , when you apply for a job and obtain an interview it is previous experience which the employer is interested in. Another factor which will greatly influence the selection process is the risk factor of training and the expenditure on a trainee garda. With Reserve Garda the risk of a trainee completing his or hers taining is greatly reduced because they have an indepth knowledge of the job and how it will effect their professional and personal life , they have shown committement by joining the Reserve and will therefore be seen as a much better option in regard to training expenditure with very little risk that they will not complete their training and go on to provide 30 years service to An Garda Siochana.

• Advertisement

Employment act , equal opportunities etc

This is incorrect. If it was a question of gender , racial , religous or sexual preference discremination then you would be correct.
    It will come down to the simple benchmark who is better qualified and who will be the best person in which the state should invest their monies in order to get a justifiable return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I wonder will they keep a regular intake or just ban recruitment for another five years after this one is over..

Jesus, If they done that i'd be 26 by the time i'd get a chance to join. :eek: and if they took on 4-500 people would that really make much of a difference to the struggling numbers in AGS.

carzony wrote: »
    I wonder will they keep a regular intake.

Did Shatter not say he wanted/needed to have regular intakes to keep the numbers up in the force?
    I thought someone posted here about 400 this time round? Would that be 4 intakes of 100 people. We need to remember we're not going back to 4 intakes of 250.

annlewis wrote: »
    Did Shatter not say he wanted/needed to have regular intakes to keep the numbers up in the force?
    I thought someone posted here about 400 this time round? Would that be 4 intakes of 100 people. We need to remember we're not going back to 4 intakes of 250.

Those days are long gone you said it!

Id imagine a panel being formed say 200-400 and they go from there for the next few years???

classes of 50??

Anybody have any figures for the offical garda numbers?
    Im sure i read it was around the 13,200 mark?

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Those days are long gone you said it!

Id imagine a panel being formed say 200-400 and they go from there for the next few years???

classes of 50??

Anybody have any figures for the offical garda numbers?
    Im sure i read it was around the 13,200 mark?

That definitely makes sense canyon yea, to form a panel and use it each time an intake is needed rather than have a whole new recruitment drive each time.

Going to be out pounding the pavement now from this evening :)
    Going to be doing everything in my power. I'm on the panel but at the moment im expecting the worst news that we will have to apply again until we're told otherwise.

That definitely makes sense canyon yea, to form a panel and use it each time an intake is needed rather than have a whole new recruitment drive each time.

Going to be out pounding the pavement now from this evening :)
    Going to be doing everything in my power. I'm on the panel but at the moment im expecting the worst news that we will have to apply again until we're told otherwise.

But then again Ann common sense isnt somehting that the govt tends to apply very often :)

Best off to keep active and upskilling where possible you d never know what will be announced.. I understand it is frustrating for ye on the panel!!

Have you much contact with other panel members or?

• Advertisement

Canyon86 wrote: »
    But then again Ann common sense isnt somehting that the govt tends to apply very often :)

Best off to keep active and upskilling where possible you d never know what will be announced.. I understand it is frustrating for ye on the panel!!

Have you much contact with other panel members or?

Its been as frustrating as hell but I'm not on my own I suppose. I only know 2 other folk on the panel, that's all. There seems to be a few on here that are on it plus then you have the people on it that aren't on boards so there could be a good few people in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mr magu

I'm on the panel

mr magu wrote: »
    I'm on the panel

Well hello Mr Magu, fellow panel member :)
    Another one of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

Well hello Mr Magu, fellow panel member :)
    Another one of us.

Hey guys another panel member here from mayo, great news on recruitment. Just hope our patience and hard work and effort is not wasted over the last few years, also the money spent doing courses, trains ,buses to Dublin for aptitude test interview medical.also physical in templemore, we deserve respect and a break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I've been on panel for 5 years. Applied in May 08. I've no confidence in Shatter at all. I'm pretty sure he will scrap panel. And he won't give a **** about upsetting people. I think the panel should at least be put through the recruitment process again first and then opened up to everyone else

• Advertisement

Devil08 wrote: »
    I've been on panel for 5 years. Applied in May 08. I've no confidence in Shatter at all. I'm pretty sure he will scrap panel. And he won't give a **** about upsetting people. I think the panel should at least be put through the recruitment process again first and then opened up to everyone else
    It's hard to know what's going to happen, if they were going to scrap panel why wait until now to tell us if they do, the thoughts of doing the interview again makes me sick in my stomach. We deserve respect from what we have been put through the last few years. I completed all stages, the last being the physical in April 2008 I think roughly, at present going into my 3rd year in college doing business degree which has kept me sane and not thinking about recruitment every single day like I was a few years back

Devil08 wrote: »
    I think the panel should at least be put through the recruitment process again first and then opened up to everyone else

Great to see a few more panel members :)

I hope we don't have to go through the recruitment process again. Going all the way back to stage 1, aptitude test? Shouldn't we not just have to do medical and pct? Seen as we past all the other stages prior to the moratorium.
    Medical and pct would have to be redone incase something has changed since 2008/9.

Dublin fire bridge panel members were never told that their panel had been scrapped , when they inquired during the requirement drive they were told it was scrapped along with all other panels. Clarification for people would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

When did DFB start recruiting again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

I heard a rumor that there could be some legal thing there that the panel who is still eligible will have to be taken on. Don't take my word for gospil on this though guys.

Also heard from a source that some reserves and members of the public will be taken on. Its gonna be 50/50 I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Tyron Jara wrote: »

Also heard from a source that some reserves and members of the public will be taken on. Its gonna be 50/50 I say.

imo That's the fairest way to do it:cool:.

dylmeister wrote: »
    It's hard to know what's going to happen, if they were going to scrap panel why wait until now to tell us if they do, the thoughts of doing the interview again makes me sick in my stomach. We deserve respect from what we have been put through the last few years. I completed all stages, the last being the physical in April 2008 I think roughly, at present going into my 3rd year in college doing business degree which has kept me sane and not thinking about recruitment every single day like I was a few years back

Hi dylmeister,

I agree ye deserve respecet and recognition,

Fair play to you for going back to college and getting a degree!!

carzony wrote: »
    imo That's the fairest way to do it:cool:.

guess so, but still a pity if the panel are not put forward first aswell

Dylmeister, did you do your pct in april 08?
    Thats a very long wait. How come you didn't go to Temolemore in Feb 09 or May?

I do think the people on the panel should be contacted to see first of all if they are still in the country and secondly if they are still interested. Many people may have left the country or have other jobs or careers.

Dylmeister, did you do your pct in april 08?
    Thats a very long wait. How come you didn't go to Temolemore in Feb 09 or May?

I do think the people on the panel should be contacted to see first of all if they are still in the country and secondly if they are still interested. Many people may have left the country or have other jobs or careers.
    Sorry guys Its been that long since I did it I can't remember, I did the pct just before the last intake went, I was probably talking to a few of ye down there ha ha. I just think its a disgrace how we haven't had one phone call or letter even saying sorry for the wait or inconvenience caused, also people who aren't on the panel and want a job as a member I feel their pain too. We are adults at the end of the day trying to help to want to protect our nation and think we deserve our shot from being so patient and still wanting the job after this long wait. I've no problem re-doing medical and pct as it makes sense and background checks, but we have proven already we are well capable of giving the job a go after passing the aptitude and interview stage!

• Advertisement
Advertisement