Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Panel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Folks, to be honest this Brad dude should just be ignored.

He spent time on a panel for a different position previously. Surely he has some sort of understanding.
    Maybe he doesn't....

Anyhow guys, we have accepted the panel has been removed, even if we got no letter.... and we do need to apply again and we have the experience of the test, , interview, medical and pct so let's look on the bright side :) we can do it !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

That Brad is an awful tosser. Don't even know why hes in this thread, obviously just trying to stir sh!t. Must have failed to make the panel himself.
    The Panel still exists until we are told otherwise by HQ. This is what they told me. Shatter has not said a thing to HQ about the panel. He is just blabbering on in the Dail but has released nothing official about it.
    When HQ get an official answer about the panel, each individual WILL be contacted. So don't be upset that you have not been contacted, because they have nothing to tell us, we are still on the panel as far as they are concerned.

I agree Devil. Last time I gave them a buzz in hrm they did say they were aware of the ministeres comments and that every body would be informed should the panel be scrapped or removed. So for the time being I guess we'll hang on in there :)
    Just incase thou..do you have any of the new requirements ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Devil08 wrote: »
    That Brad is an awful tosser. Don't even know why hes in this thread, obviously just trying to stir sh!t. Must have failed to make the panel himself.
    The Panel still exists until we are told otherwise by HQ. This is what they told me. Shatter has not said a thing to HQ about the panel. He is just blabbering on in the Dail but has released nothing official about it.
    When HQ get an official answer about the panel, each individual WILL be contacted. So don't be upset that you have not been contacted, because they have nothing to tell us, we are still on the panel as far as they are concerned.

First I want to say I agree that people on the panel got shafted.
    In my opinion the scrapping of the panel is the correct thing to do as so many people's circumstances have changed. Half the panel could have left the country, some could have taken new jobs, some could even be in prison or dead!
    However I think that during this recruitment campaign, people that were on the panel should get "looked after" as long as they can still pass the medical, fitness and background checks. After all, some people on the panel showed massive commitment by hanging in there.

Now, I think it's absolutely crazy that some people think the panel still exists. It's come from the horses mouth that it's gone. They probably wouldn't have a full recruitment campaign soon if the panel still existed. It seems people are just hoping and using technicalities such as "it hasn't been sent to hr in writing yet" in the hope that it won't happen...

So because Shatter mentioned in the dail that it is 'unlikely' that the panel will be kept you are taking this as gospel? The man has never stuck to a word he has ever said so I'd pay no attention to it. Garda HQ look after appointments and they have said they havnt been told anything about the panel. So I'll listen to them.
    I think people just waiting to apply are hoping the panel will be scrapped and are popping up in here to try stir sh1t.
    My advice would be to stay away from this thread unless you are on the panel and waiting to hear from HQ about what's happening. This thread is for the panel to discuss the situation, those of us who have hung around the last 5 years waiting for this. Not for the johnny come latelys who decided they wanted to be a Garda 2 months ago because their corporate world is gone t1ts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭redno.3

Cd_doe wrote: »
    First I want to say I agree that people on the panel got shafted.
    In my opinion the scrapping of the panel is the correct thing to do as so many people's circumstances have changed. Half the panel could have left the country, some could have taken new jobs, some could even be in prison or dead!
    However I think that during this recruitment campaign, people that were on the panel should get "looked after" as long as they can still pass the medical, fitness and background checks. After all, some people on the panel showed massive commitment by hanging in there.

Now, I think it's absolutely crazy that some people think the panel still exists. It's come from the horses mouth that it's gone. They probably wouldn't have a full recruitment campaign soon if the panel still existed. It seems people are just hoping and using technicalities such as "it hasn't been sent to hr in writing yet" in the hope that it won't happen...

It's up to people on the panel to decide if their circumstances have changed, they should be contacted, it's not more than a year ago that shatter said the the panel was still in place for when recruitment restarted. It's probably gone but we still have to not take it lying down, contact your local td, local media, the gra, anyone who will listen!

It's has to be shown up as another complete waste of taxpayers money, anyone on the panel please don't just give up, try an fight the tossers who make these decisions!

So because Shatter mentioned in the dail that it is 'unlikely' that the panel will be kept you are taking this as gospel? The man has never stuck to a word he has ever said so I'd pay no attention to it. Garda HQ look after appointments and they have said they havnt been told anything about the panel. So I'll listen to them.
    I think people just waiting to apply are hoping the panel will be scrapped and are popping up in here to try stir sh1t.
    My advice would be to stay away from this thread unless you are on the panel and waiting to hear from HQ about what's happening. This thread is for the panel to discuss the situation, those of us who have hung around the last 5 years waiting for this. Not for the johnny come latelys who decided they wanted to be a Garda 2 months ago because their corporate world is gone t1ts up.

1. I'll pass on your advice to stay away from a public forum.

2. If your not going to take the word of Alan Shatter in relation to the panel, then why are you taking his word in relation to recruitment starting soon.

3. Garda HQ don't look after recruitment. The public appointments service do.

4. I'm not hoping the panel is scrapped (it makes no difference to me). I was just skimming through this public forum and decided to give my opinion.

5. I'm not a "johnny come lately" who decided I wanted to be a Garda 2 months ago.

There's a lot of people who are sore about the panel (and obviously I wouldn't blame them). But calm down mate. Nobody here is to blame for the past screw up in relation to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

I know this isnt the same but the panel from the 2010 recruit competition for the defence forces was only closed just before the 2012 competition opened. So maybe they are waiting for garda recruitment competition to be confirmed before they inform panel members. Just a thought i really dont know what they will do

redno.3 wrote: »
    It's up to people on the panel to decide if their circumstances have changed, !

People on the panel don't get to decide many of their circumstances which could now render them incapable of joining.

For example their age, health and background checks.

I now feel the need to again say I totally agree the people on the panel got shafted. I think the panel should be scrapped and everyone apply again. The original panel should be "looked after" if they pass the medical, fitness and background checks...

• Advertisement

People on the panel don't get to decide many of their circumstances which could now render them incapable of joining.

For example their age, health and background checks.

I now feel the need to again say I totally agree the people on the panel got shafted. I think the panel should be scrapped and everyone apply again. The original panel should be "looked after" if they pass the medical, fitness and background checks...

My age is ok 33, have no underlying illnesses or conditions, never been in trouble with the law in my life, neither have any relations of mine that I know of!

In reality that's not going to happen being ' looked after '. The only hope (and its a very small one) is to keep the panel and redo it all for those who still are interested in the career!

I just rang the G.R.A today and the advice I got was to write two letters, one directly to the commissioner and one directly to the minister for justice stating our situation and basically ask him to consider giving us our deserved chance!

If as many as possible from the panel could do that then at least we can't say we didn't do all we could and be able to move on and put it behind us!

I'm writing it up over the weekend and sending it Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Section_4

My age is ok 33, have no underlying illnesses or conditions, never been in trouble with the law in my life, neither have any relations of mine that I know of!

In reality that's not going to happen being ' looked after '. The only hope (and its a very small one) is to keep the panel and redo it all for those who still are interested in the career!

I just rang the G.R.A today and the advice I got was to write two letters, one directly to the commissioner and one directly to the minister for justice stating our situation and basically ask him to consider giving us our deserved chance!

If as many as possible from the panel could do that then at least we can't say we didn't do all we could and be able to move on and put it behind us!

I'm writing it up over the weekend and sending it Monday!

I would be very careful in sending such a letter to any member of An Garda Siochana, politician or public sector employee that is, or has the potential to be, involved in the recruitment process as it would likely be construed as canvassing thereby disqualifiying you from the old panel and any upcoming competition. Any letter such as the one you described above will be considered canvassing as you are asking the recipient to become involved in your situation/ the recruitment process with a view to influencing a future outcome in your favour. I appreciate you may already be on a panel from which Garda recruit applicants may be drawn from however you have not been offered a recruit position as of yet and any contact with parties connected to the process and extolling them to exert influence to advance such an offer is canvassing.

I say the above with full appriciation for and knowledge of the merit with which you attained your position on the panel and am not presenting an opinion on the validity of said panel for use in any future recruitment process.

I would suggest a well written, registered letter to Garda HRM asking for clarification of your position and that of the panel established during the last recruitment process would be the best avenue to pursue. Some may suggest writing editorial pieces and/or enlisting the help of print (or other) media too; do this with caution as AGS generally take a dim view of people unwilling to pursue official, albeit more muted, channels.

Section_4 wrote: »
    I would be very careful in sending such a letter to any member of An Garda Siochana, politician or public sector employee that is, or has the potential to be, involved in the recruitment process as it would likely be construed as canvassing thereby disqualifiying you from the old panel and any upcoming competition. Any letter such as the one you described above will be considered canvassing as you are asking the recipient to become involved in your situation/ the recruitment process with a view to influencing a future outcome in your favour. I appreciate you may already be on a panel from which Garda recruit applicants may be drawn from however you have not been offered a recruit position as of yet and any contact with parties connected to the process and extolling them to exert influence to advance such an offer is canvassing.

I say the above with full appriciation for and knowledge of the merit with which you attained your position on the panel and am not presenting an opinion on the validity of said panel for use in any future recruitment process.

I would suggest a well written, registered letter to Garda HRM asking for clarification of your position and that of the panel established during the last recruitment process would be the best avenue to pursue. Some may suggest writing editorial pieces and/or enlisting the help of print (or other) media too; do this with caution as AGS generally take a dim view of people unwilling to pursue official, albeit more muted, channels.

I know thanks for the advice, I don't want to go down that road at all! I don't genuinely feel it's canvassing though, if we were starting from scratch maybe but I have to try and do something before the inevitable happens, I just don't know!

I would like to think there is someone high up who could understand our cause and help us out but I know it doesn't work that way!

Anyone know roughly how many of us there are on the panel ?
    I know of course folk may have changed their minds or different things have happened to others but surely there would be a decent number of us

I know thanks for the advice, I don't want to go down that road at all! I don't genuinely feel it's canvassing though, if we were starting from scratch maybe but I have to try and do something before the inevitable happens, I just don't know!

I would like to think there is someone high up who could understand our cause and help us out but I know it doesn't work that way!

I sympathise with your position however asking anybody to effect a positive outcome in a competition on your behalf is the definition of canvassing. Regardless of the state of advancement of the panel and your position on it by writing a letter such as the one you described means you will be engaging in canvassing and are open to all it's unwanted consequences.

I am not trying to discourage you from advancing your case but I maintain that getting in contact with Garda HRM, via a registered letter, and establishing the status of, and future plans for, your panel is the most viable course of action to pursue. All the more power if they receive numerous registered letters from the many people on the panel.

1. I'll pass on your advice to stay away from a public forum.

2. If your not going to take the word of Alan Shatter in relation to the panel, then why are you taking his word in relation to recruitment starting soon.

3. Garda HQ don't look after recruitment. The public appointments service do.

4. I'm not hoping the panel is scrapped (it makes no difference to me). I was just skimming through this public forum and decided to give my opinion.

5. I'm not a "johnny come lately" who decided I wanted to be a Garda 2 months ago.

There's a lot of people who are sore about the panel (and obviously I wouldn't blame them). But calm down mate. Nobody here is to blame for the past screw up in relation to the panel.

Garda HQ do look after recruitment. Public jobs just do the initial tests and then they forward all the suitable candidates onto Garda HQ to arrange medicals etc and then offer employment to candidates. Public jobs has nothing to do with the panel

• Advertisement

Garda HQ do look after recruitment. Public jobs just do the initial tests and then they forward all the suitable candidates onto Garda HQ to arrange medicals etc and then offer employment to candidates. Public jobs has nothing to do with the panel

Meh... fair enough.

Also I agree with section 4... s registered letter looking for clarification is probably the best approach

annlewis wrote: »
    Anyone know roughly how many of us there are on the panel ?
    I know of course folk may have changed their minds or different things have happened to others but surely there would be a decent number of us

160 roughly I think, I'm sure a big bulk of that would be still very interested if they are still in the country, how do you get everyone aware of it though?

160 roughly I think, I'm sure a big bulk of that would be still very interested if they are still in the country, how do you get everyone aware of it though?

160 is quite alot of people. Could make up a class or 2 classes of 80.
    Well if they wanted to know..a phone call wouldnt be difficult or an email or a letter to which we need to reply to which would confirm we are in the country or still interested.

I sympathise with your position however asking anybody to effect a positive outcome in a competition on your behalf is the definition of canvassing. Regardless of the state of advancement of the panel and your position on it by writing a letter such as the one you described means you will be engaging in canvassing and are open to all it's unwanted consequences.

I am not trying to discourage you from advancing your case but I maintain that getting in contact with Garda HRM, via a registered letter, and establishing the status of, and future plans for, your panel is the most viable course of action to pursue. All the more power if they receive numerous registered letters from the many people on the panel.

Thanks again for the advice! The more I think of it it would be canvassing to try and contact the minister or the commissioner! You don't see it like that I suppose when you have done everthing required of you previously!

Would it be the same (canvassing) to ask HRM to consider our position and ask for that chance to redo whatever is asked of us by forwarding our letters to the commissioner?

Thanks again for the advice! The more I think of it it would be canvassing to try and contact the minister or the commissioner! You don't see it like that I suppose when you have done everthing required of you previously!

Would it be the same (canvassing) to ask HRM to consider our position and ask for that chance to redo whatever is asked of us by forwarding our letters to the commissioner?

No bother.

Unfortunately asking anyone to interfere in the competition with a view to influencing an outcome in your favour is canvassing, regardless of their position or connection to the competition. Even going into your local station and asking the Sgt, whom you know since you were a child, to call HRM to consider your position is canvassing. You'll find recruitment for public sector agencies is tightly controlled to prevent canvassing from occurring as it is a very big ethical no no and classed as corruption by external auditors.

As I said the most practicable course of action would be to send a register letter to the Cheif Supt or AC in charge of Garda HRM and ask them to clarify your position on the panel and the organisations intentions regarding its use in the forthcoming recruitment campaign. While this may be frustrating to do at least you will receive clarity as to where you stand and what that position is likely to materialise into.

Before anybody jumps on this please remember I am not expressing an opinion as to whether the panel established during the last recruitment drive is / is not suitable for use in any future recruitment, I'm just advising against potentially disqualifying oneself from that and any future competition.

• Advertisement

No bother.

Unfortunately asking anyone to interfere in the competition with a view to influencing an outcome in your favour is canvassing, regardless of their position or connection to the competition. Even going into your local station and asking the Sgt, whom you know since you were a child, to call HRM to consider your position is canvassing. You'll find recruitment for public sector agencies is tightly controlled to prevent canvassing from occurring as it is a very big ethical no no and classed as corruption by external auditors.

As I said the most practicable course of action would be to send a register letter to the Cheif Supt or AC in charge of Garda HRM and ask them to clarify your position on the panel and the organisations intentions regarding its use in the forthcoming recruitment campaign. While this may be frustrating to do at least you will receive clarity as to where you stand and what that position is likely to materialise into.

Before anybody jumps on this please remember I am not expressing an opinion as to whether the panel established during the last recruitment drive is / is not suitable for use in any future recruitment, I'm just advising against potentially disqualifying oneself from that and any future competition.

I understand completely!

I would call anyone on the panel still interested in the career to write that letter to the head of HRM to seek clarification!

The more letters obviously the more it will be brought to their attention!

It's the last chance we have but one way or another I just want an end to the situation!

The recruitment process is starting again soon so let's make sure we did all we could in the last campaign to merit becoming a Garda recruit which we all greatly desired as a career!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

No matter what ye say or do it will be the minister/commissioners job to decide at the end of the day and what they say goes so I don't think there is any point trying to convince them to do anything. But looking for confirmation on their decision is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Garda interview solutions

Recruitment is being announced at the end of this month / start of October.

A competitive process, large number of applicants, preparation is key

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garda-Interview-Solutions/505887492833980

thekopend wrote: »
    No matter what ye say or do it will be the minister/commissioners job to decide at the end of the day and what they say goes so I don't think there is any point trying to convince them to do anything. But looking for confirmation on their decision is grand.

I'm not trying to convince them, I just want clarification, thanks!

If as many as possible from the panel could do that then at least we can't say we didn't do all we could and be able to move on and put it behind us

Well you must have forgot what you said here so!! This is not asking for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oreilly94

some of you guy may have been on the panel ect but you have to see why they wouldnt take the panel on? its old some of you may not even pass the medical now , yous could have got a criminal record now who knows? and im sure they dont want that hassel in an old panel while they could recruit the best now with the amount of people interested.though i do know why you's would be angry as you's did earn you spot in the guards and now its basically stolen back off yous

Well you must have forgot what you said here so!! This is not asking for clarification.

Thanks for the positive contribution!

Are / were you on the panel, are you in the guards or are you thinking of applying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Going a bit off topic but it looks like the PNSI are recruiting 19th sept:)

Thanks for the positive contribution!

Are / were you on the panel, are you in the guards or are you thinking of applying?

Well it's not a negative contribution, I'm only making my point on it and that is I don't think the advice u got from gra was very good, there Is the whole canvassing side to it too. I'm going to apply.

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Going a bit off topic but it looks like the PNSI are recruiting 19th sept:)
    You going to apply for the PSNI Canyon ?

• Advertisement

You going to apply for the PSNI Canyon ?

hi annlewis,

Yep I d say so, Are you?

I know you were on the previous panel ?

Im just trying to keep my options open, huge numbers applying for AGS as we all know lol

hi annlewis,

Yep I d say so, Are you?

Im just trying to keep my options open, huge numbers applying for AGS as we all know lol
    To be honest, no. Not going to apply for the psni.
    How's your driving going ? Do you need any of the other new requirements?

To be honest, no. Not going to apply for the psni.
    How's your driving going ? Do you need any of the other new requirements?

Ah cool Ann,

Driving going well.Im getting the lessons but still need a few weeks,

I have everything else wrapped up, swimming and ecdl done recently,

Do you reckon they ll come in to effect?

I hope they don;'t but I understand why they might lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Ah cool Ann,

What kind of swimming cert did you do?

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    What kind of swimming cert did you do?

Hi Simpson,

I just did 8 weeks intermediate lessons by my local Aura,
    Its nothing major or fancy but a cert still,

It was the best I could fit in at short notice

Ah cool Ann,

Fair play to ye that's brill news ! Delighted. Ive the requirements almost sorted. Almost ! The ecdl is thrownig mw off though. There's a few stages to that isn't there ?
    I could see why they might come into effect, to reduce numbers applying and that. It will show you're interested defo if you did all the bits required. Im not sure. No harm to have them done anyway cause they always look good on a cv :)

Well it's not a negative contribution, I'm only making my point on it and that is I don't think the advice u got from gra was very good, there Is the whole canvassing side to it too. I'm going to apply.

Good stuff!

Correct I was badly advised and then I was well advised by somebody else!

I'm on board for the new campaign but just seeking clarity from the last one!

Does anyone know if the Garda Interview Solutions one day course is worth doing, would they have the new criteria for this upcoming campaign?

Hi Simpson,

I just did 8 weeks intermediate lessons by my local Aura,
    Its nothing major or fancy but a cert still,

It was the best I could fit in at short notice

I'm finding it difficult to find an accredited course in Dublin. I can swim, just reckon I'll need a cert to back it up

I'm finding it difficult to find an accredited course in Dublin. I can swim, just reckon I'll need a cert to back it up

Iv a cert from the Irish water safety authority. I recon that will be plenty good

• Advertisement

If you can swim you should be fine id say it is one of the less likely ones to be introduced,

Id say driving and first aid would be the main ones most relevant if they were intoduced, imo

Fair play to ye that's brill news ! Delighted. Ive the requirements almost sorted. Almost ! The ecdl is thrownig mw off though. There's a few stages to that isn't there ?
    I could see why they might come into effect, to reduce numbers applying and that. It will show you're interested defo if you did all the bits required. Im not sure. No harm to have them done anyway cause they always look good on a cv :)

Oh well done, ya Im sure there is 7 stages, you can do them in fas centres around the place, and practice online im sure:)

Ya I ll keep plugging away neways I have a job to tie me over the next while so I have a plan B if the requirements are brought in.

It will be a seriously competitive process.
    Hows your fitness going?

Good stuff!

Correct I was badly advised and then I was well advised by somebody else!

I'm on board for the new campaign but just seeking clarity from the last one!

Does anyone know if the Garda Interview Solutions one day course is worth doing, would they have the new criteria for this upcoming campaign?

They seem like a new crowd mate,
    Try career services they do aptitude tests across the country I did one back in 2010 and found it excellent,.

Not much info there about garda interview solutions mate

Oh well done, ya Im sure there is 7 stages, you can do them in fas centres around the place, and practice online im sure:)

Ya I ll keep plugging away neways I have a job to tie me over the next while so I have a plan B if the requirements are brought in.

It will be a seriously competitive process.
    Hows your fitness going?

Great stuff. I'll pick something up re the ecdl shortly. One thing at a time.
    Fitness is flying. Been fit since the last drive and I've been fit since just incase we were ever called ye know. I run or walk every day with the dog so im grand. A good 5k every day :) keeps me ticking over. ......as I curently eat a double decker and a cuppa tea !

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

If you can swim you should be fine id say it is one of the less likely ones to be introduced,

Id say driving and first aid would be the main ones most relevant if they were intoduced, imo

the school of thought on this is that you will be asked to swim a certain distance in a certain time during your fitness test

They seem like a new crowd mate,
    Try career services they do aptitude tests across the country I did one back in 2010 and found it excellent,.

Not much info there about garda interview solutions mate

Yeah sound, I did the career services course as well, found it really helpful and prepared me well for the first two stages, I will definitely be on to them again.

I'm sure they will have it updated for the new campaign because a lot has changed since the last one, the training program in templemoe has been revised so obviously the competition for it will have to change also.

Another ominous sign the panel will be discarded I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Does anyone know whether the driving requirement will be a full licence requirement??

The process to get a learner permit is expensive enough with the lessons.

I know a guy who failed the Reserve interview but he was told to obtain the requirements mentioned in above posts, and a Learner Permit.

I can see it being full licence, as that is the requirement with most other Police forces but if anyone has any other info that would be great.

Thanks.

Nobody knows, but I'd nearly put money on that being a requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Nobody knows, but I'd nearly put money on that being a requirement

Do you reckon it'd be Full Licence or the Learner Permit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

kdarragh wrote: »

Full license i'd say, You can't even drive a patrol car on a learner permit.. It's a very basic requirement IMO. If money is tight I think you can go to your local Obair or fas, they help with funding and stuff like that.

kdarragh wrote: »

I reckon full. Learner permit isn't of much use to them imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement