Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Day's 'American Idiot' Broadway Musical Set For UK/Ireland Tour

Options
  • 01-12-2011 3:25pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Plans have been announced to bring Green Day's Broadway musical 'American Idiot' to UK concert halls in October and November 2012.

The 'American Idiot' musical tells the story of three friends, based around the band's last two studio albums 'American Idiot' and '21st Century Breakdown'. Featuring Green Day songs including 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams,' '21 Guns,' 'Wake Me Up When September Ends,' 'Holiday' and 'American Idiot', the musical is also set to be transformed into a feature film produced by Tom Hanks.

The tour kicks-off at Southampton's Mayflower Theatre on October 9th to 13th and visits concert halls in Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dublin, Manchester, Birmingham and London

Green Day's 'American Idiot' Musical UK Tour Dates are as follows:

Oct 9th to 13th - Southampton Mayflower Theatre
    Oct 15th to 20th - Cardiff Millennium Centre
    Oct 22nd to 27th - Edinburgh Playhouse
    Oct 29th to Nov 3rd - Glasgow Clyde Auditorium
    Nov 5th to 10th - Dublin Grand Canal Theatre
    Nov 12th to 24th - Manchester Palace Theatre
    Nov 26th to 30th - Birmingham Alexandra Theatre
    Dec 3rd to 8th - London HMV Hammersmith Apollo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Love Love Love Love Green Day and I do enjoy Musicals :o (shhh! :P ) so would happily go to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

OMFG Cant wait do u say it will sel out
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

OMFG Cant wait do u say it will sel out
    :)
    Please don't use txt spk in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

I hope it won't sell out too quickly, just shelled out for tickets to Florence in London and I don't know if I can afford it just yet... But I would adore to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Definitely going to one of these!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Ah nothing says punk rock like a nice musical.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

How many people will think Green Day are actually performing in the musical ha

Der nt??!!! :O :O :O ='(

:P

The pathetic part is 90% of Ireland's Green Day fan base will think that

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Anyone else getting a tad' worried that that both ticket master and the Grand Canal Theatre website hasn't got it listed yet? Nor are any prices up yet, but tickets supposedly go on sale on Friday???

I can't wait and will pay whatever it takes! But I wish I knew so I can start Saving!

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a tad' worried that that both ticket master and the Grand Canal Theatre website hasn't got it listed yet? Nor are any prices up yet, but tickets supposedly go on sale on Friday???

I can't wait and will pay whatever it takes! But I wish I knew so I can start Saving!

The UK tickets went onsale on friday . Aiken or MCD will announce it soon since the dates have been announced .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Have been bought a ticket as a Christmas present :D

Been waiting a while to see this!

I can't see it selling out anytime soon though, there are matinee shows too. Surprised they haven't been advertising it more in the run up to Christmas though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Malice wrote: »
    Please don't use txt spk in this forum.

Why warn again she was already warned to stop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

deisedave wrote: »
    Why warn again she was already warned to stop ?
    My warning was posted at 18:55, the previous post from Mr.S that you're referring to was edited to include a similar warning after that (you can see the "Last edited by" line in the footer of the post).

Either way, have you really got nothing better to do with your time than to ask that question?

Not going to get tickets to this until a month or 2 before hand. Not too pushed about seeing it other than the fact I am a huge Green Day fan. But still just not pushed enough to get tickets almost a year in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Not going to get tickets to this until a month or 2 before hand. Not too pushed about seeing it other than the fact I am a huge Green Day fan. But still just not pushed enough to get tickets almost a year in advance

Yeah I know, I hate handing over the money for anything so far in advance, letting the promoters earn 11 months interest on it *grumble*

But I'm getting this one as a present, so I won't complain... much... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Going to 3 shows, front row and centre for two of them. It's definitely worth seeing, I saw it twice in New York when Billie Joe starred as St. Jimmy. Hey, spot the Green Day nerd!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I wonder if there's any chance Green Day could make a surprise appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Penfailed

karaokeman wrote: »

I'd say no chance.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

karaokeman wrote: »
    Penfailed wrote: »
    I'd say no chance.

I'd say there's every chance that the band will turn up to a few of the shows, but maybe not the Dublin one's.

They've been very very heavily involved in this production from the start on Broadway, it's not like they just let somebody make the show then sat back and collected the royalties.

This is the first time the show has come over to Europe so i guess they'll want to do at least 1 show, all depends on the bands touring schedule, just wait till it's announced, see where there's a few blanks, see where the stage show is and voila, 2+2=4.

I'd put my money on it being either London (90% chance), Manchester (5%) or Dublin (5%)

• Advertisement

If anything it'll be the last London show on December 9th, which also happens to be Tre's birthday. But there's no way of knowing, I think it would be a long shot for this to happen. Who knows what they'll be doing in winter 2012? They could be in the studio finalising the tracks for the next album or they could have already released the album and be on tour in Australia or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Only reading this now. I went to see this in NYC last year and thought it was quality, will definitely be catching a couple of these shows.

Anyone who is in two minds or cannot get their head around the idea of the album being turned into a musical - get a ticket, you won't regret it.

Bateman wrote: »
    Only reading this now. I went to see this in NYC last year and thought it was quality, will definitely be catching a couple of these shows.

Anyone who is in two minds or cannot get their head around the idea of the album being turned into a musical - get a ticket, you won't regret it.

Cool! When did you go and see it? I went in January :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Hmm I was set on not buying a ticket til the month-ish before the actual show, but my money situation is much better than I though it would be, so maybe I'll get one soon :) How much are they for front row?

I paid €50 for front and centre :)

Are there stilll front row tix available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Cool! When did you go and see it? I went in January :)

At the beginning of December last year, my mate went home a day earlier than I did and I was staying in a hotel off Broadway for the last night so just wandered over and got a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Saw this in NY with Billie Joe as St Jimmy, it was atrocious. A complete travesty, I thought at least having Billie Joe in it and using great songs would make it worthwhile, I was very, very wrong. They took what is a brilliant album and just created an anodyne musical with the American equivalent of the Billie Barry Kids, I've been a Green Day fan for almost 18 years and this was sickening.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Saw this in NY with Billie Joe as St Jimmy, it was atrocious. A complete travesty, I thought at least having Billie Joe in it and using great songs would make it worthwhile, I was very, very wrong. They took what is a brilliant album and just created an anodyne musical with the American equivalent of the Billie Barry Kids, I've been a Green Day fan for almost 18 years and this was sickening.

Disagree more than I have ever disagreed with anything in my life.

But each to their own and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Irish Halo wrote: »

What exactly didn't you like about it?

I wouldn't be a fan of musicals at all and while I will most likely go to one show, I won't be devastated if I miss it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Woo hoo ... Green Day goes Glee.

WTF passes for punk nowadays ... next Johnny Rotten will be selling butter ... oh wait.

Advertisement