Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 1.8 - Whirring noise

Options
  • 01-12-2011 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a 2008 Volvo S40 1.8 petrol. Mileage high as it was a lease company car.

Recently I've noticed that when i start it (usually from cold), it makes a screeching or whirring noise. I thought it was a belt sound. I was told it might be the alternator, and was nothing to worry about. I don't like rogue sounds. I think it goes away after I drive for a while and the car warms up. It was very bad last night after I started it from cold.

Apart from that everything is fine, it starts, there's no warning lights etc. Is it something to worry about?

Thank you!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

fan belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭electrolinks

Thanks Ardennes1944

Good probability you're right, I'm assuming that wouldn't be too much of a tricky thing to get sorted?

The salesman said it wasn't, doesn't mean much I guess.

Is there any way to figure if its the fan belt? Guess running it with the bonnet open putting an ear near the fan belt would be obvious???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Thanks Ardennes1944

Good probability you're right, I'm assuming that wouldn't be too much of a tricky thing to get sorted?

The salesman said it wasn't, doesn't mean much I guess.

Is there any way to figure if its the fan belt? Guess running it with the bonnet open putting an ear near the fan belt would be obvious???

The only way will be to look at the belt while the engine is being revved.

You could splash/spray a small amount of water on the belt to see how easily it slips? But, if you're unsure, then don't do it.

The dealer you bought the car from should remedy this problem for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Does the noise change with respect to engine RPM? If not, SAI pump might the the issue....

Not sure if they are fitted for your market, but it sounds like a SAI (Secondary Air Injection) pump. Its a pump that pumps fresh air into the exhaust for a minute or two after the car is started to help with emissions and raise the cat temp sooner. You might hear this awful screeching noise for a minute or two after you start the car from cold, then it goes away.

Thanks SouperComputer

- The noise doesn't change with respect to RPM
    - It lasts for a long time after the engine is started.

It may be a permanent sound, I just haven't had the car long enough to know for sure. Dumb I know. I've noticed it from cold start for sure and then while driving if I open the window to listen.

I'm going to pop the hood and listen to the engine properly.
    Apologies should have done that before posting.

• Advertisement

Gophur wrote: »
    The only way will be to look at the belt while the engine is being revved.

You could splash/spray a small amount of water on the belt to see how easily it slips? But, if you're unsure, then don't do it.

The dealer you bought the car from should remedy this problem for you.

I don't think the sound changes with revving, but will have a listen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If it's the alternator, the S40 gives a warning message that your battery is not charging. Either bring it back to where you bought it or to your friendly local mechanic.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If it's the alternator, the S40 gives a warning message that your battery is not charging. Either bring it back to where you bought it or to your friendly local mechanic.

Thanks Tabnabs!

I don't have a warning light, or error messages... Leads me towards a belt issue?

Tabnabs wrote: »

Could it still make the noise, and charge properly without a warning message? My battery is at a good charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Could it still make the noise, and charge properly without a warning message? My battery is at a good charge.

Yes it could. The only way to test this is to put as much an electrical load on the alternator, as possible.

Try seeing what happens when you have the car running, then switch on all your lights, your demisters, fan blowers etc, and see if the noise appears.

I still say, go back to where you got the car and get them to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I reckon your alternator will give up at some point. Very similar to what happened to the wife's V50 1.8i. Funny whining noise then the first eventually it just gives up.

Get a replacement Ford alternator - much cheaper than the Volvo part.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I reckon your alternator will give up at some point. Very similar to what happened to the wife's V50 1.8i. Funny whining noise then the first eventually it just gives up.

Get a replacement Ford alternator - much cheaper than the Volvo part.

Will try for a Ford one. Would it be Focus Alternator, what mark? SAme year I guess... What did it cost you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Will try for a Ford one. Would it be Focus Alternator, what mark? SAme year I guess... What did it cost you?

Not sure exactly which Focus alternator, but any decent mechanic will be able to tell you.

Think it was around €500 for the Ford replacement, fitted by an indy (still going strong after a year or so). Was being quoted almost €800 for the Volvo part alone.

Shouldn't take a competent mechanic any more than 30-40 mins to fit. Had a recon unit put in originally by a friend (crapped out after a couple of months so false economy) so stood around shooting the breeze while he replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Had the same problem with my V40 and it was the alternator belt, it was a little bit loose. Is the noise high pitched? Mine it was and only comming when the weather was cold, it was gone in a matter of seconds (5-15 sec). The mechanic just tightened the belt and the noise was gone.

m4r10 wrote: »
    Had the same problem with my V40 and it was the alternator belt, it was a little bit loose. Is the noise high pitched? Mine it was and only comming when the weather was cold, it was gone in a matter of seconds (5-15 sec). The mechanic just tightened the belt and the noise was gone.

Yes it's high pitched, a little treble-ey. I think it happens when its cold. I think its the same problem you had. I'll get a mechanic to check it for me...

Legend. Thanks m4r10!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres a modified fan belt and tensioner on these.The whirring noise is the main symptom.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theres a modified fan belt and tensioner on these.The whirring noise is the main symptom.

So is it something to fix or leave it alone?

Well, I'd fix it. when it was doing the same on my car, I was dreading leaving from work just in case the noise will start as it could be heard everywhere in the carpark. I was so ashamed :(
    Don't worry, it's an easy fix, less than 1 minute.

Well, I'd fix it. when it was doing the same on my car, I was dreading leaving from work just in case the noise will start as it could be heard everywhere in the carpark. I was so ashamed :(
    Don't worry, it's an easy fix, less than 1 minute.

Thanks Dude, no-one likes a noisy machine. I'm gonna sort it.

Any Garage mechanic recommendations?

I could recommend you a couple, but don't know your location. Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to fix it for you.

PS. Just out of curiosity, is it a GDI engine as well on your Volvo?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So is it something to fix or leave it alone?

Definately.But since its a modification make sure to buy it from your main dealer.I have seen the tensioners break up in the past.

No its a Ford enginge in the 05-On s40.The v40 finished in 2004 and the 1.8 was a Mitsubishi Engine<<<better that that Ford one in my opinion although the GDI did give problems with throttle bodies which is an expensive fix.

I could recommend you a couple, but don't know your location. Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to fix it for you.

Dont know if its a GDI. 1.8 FlexiFuel Petrol

Feel free to recommend, Dublin City Centre. I find Mechanics, like Doctors are hard to find a good one without actually using them and spending a lot of cash.

Feel free to recommend, Dublin City Centre. I find Mechanics, like Doctors are hard to find a good one without actually using them and spending a lot of cash.

PM sent

Thanks to all.

I'm still not positive what it is, but a good mechanic should sort it for me.

Thanks to all.

I'm still not positive what it is, but a good mechanic should sort it for me.

See my earlier post--Its the fan belt tensioner and must have a modified one fitted so be careful with who buys the part.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    See my earlier post--Its the fan belt tensioner and must have a modified one fitted so be careful with who buys the part.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, I got a little lost with the opinions on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Hi my Volvo 1.8 started making a similar whirring noise today and I got a power service urgent message on the dash. Can I ask what you ended up doing to fix this? Google is suggesting an alternator but if it's a belt/tensioner then it might be cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That error message is for the alternator, not a good christmas present :(

Advertisement