Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 1.8 - Whirring noise

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

I know this is probably impossible to answer but how far would you drive after getting these symptoms? I'm in Kilkenny and would prefer to get the car to my regular mechanic in Dublin but I'm nervous about driving too far

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

20 miles, tops - turn off all electrics - radio, lights, A/C etc. etc. to draw the least current out of the battery.

Thanks that's what I thought at least my instinct is good! Do you know by any chance what ford alternator fits this car I hear they can be used instead of Volvo and are cheaper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ford Focus, give Hellrazer a PM, he may know someone down that way who can help you out. In my experience, the price difference wasn't that significant should the Ford part not be available. Any good mechanic should be up to the job.

Will do thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭electrolinks

macgabhs wrote: »
    Hi my Volvo 1.8 started making a similar whirring noise today and I got a power service urgent message on the dash. Can I ask what you ended up doing to fix this? Google is suggesting an alternator but if it's a belt/tensioner then it might be cheaper!

Haven't sorted it yet. On left side of engine front (facing it), so must be the alternator.

Have you seen this?
    http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23502
    http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/download/file.php?id=2342&sid=3d0d675710bb5e223ee40f88bd6f3ba8

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aguestie

electrolinks

I have just repaired my Volvo 1.8 whining noise. It was the alternator bearing. Very quick fix except car was off the road for a day while the bearing was replaced.

Mine was very high pitched but it also changed as the rpm increased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

R.O.R wrote: »
    I reckon your alternator will give up at some point. Very similar to what happened to the wife's V50 1.8i. Funny whining noise then the first eventually it just gives up.

Get a replacement Ford alternator - much cheaper than the Volvo part.
    Same with our S40 (1.8 petrol too).

The whirring noise was happening for a couple of weeks before any warnings then the car just died (luckily around the corner from a Volvo dealer). Agreed, the Ford part does the same job for less, but we were only told this afterwards by another garage when we got the service done.

The noise at the time I described as being like the engine sound you hear from in-car shots of WRC cars, albeit not so loud.

Just got my car back from the garage. It was the altenator but they were able to repair the faulty part rather than replace the whole lot, apparantly this is a common fault and the repair not only fixes the altenator but also removes the original weakness so theoretically its better than new. Hopefully theres no more trouble.

Advertisement