Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy question

Options
  • 01-12-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi all

quick question. Over a year ago we bought a water softer system for our house. At the time the company asked me to fill in a testimonial on their website which I did, and forgot all about it.
    Last week I got some texts and Facebook posts from friends asking how my water softer is... turns out the company printed my testimonial along with 4 or 5 others and they were put through people's letterboxes. Certainly in my area, I'm not sure if it was distributed further than this.
    Under my testimonial they printed my full name and address, all they left out was our house number. I was a bit annoyed about it... are they allowed to do that does anyone know? Maybe I'm overreacting a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You filled out a testimonial presumably giving them permission to distribute it somewhere on the testimonial form maybe in small print

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The fact that they asked you for a testimonial meant that they intended to distribute it. There probably was some small print or T&Cs associated.

You can try contacting them and requesting that they stop using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

You're probably right. But I still wouldn't have expected them to print my full name and address! It's just a bit annoying.

Thank god it wasn't for something really personal like... hemorroid cream or something mortifying!

Not that I ever needed that stuff... and now the more I explain that I just picked that example out of thin air the worse it will sound...

..ok I'll shut up now!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

I'd say you gave them your consent so you only have yourself to blame for not thinking about the possible consequences of it first.

If you are concerned, you should contact them and see if it can be sorted. It's very unusual for a non-corporate testimonial to feature the full name and even hometown of the testator.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just start giving them sh1te reviews and you'll quickly be removed from their list of satisfied customers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement