Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Day vs Annual Leave

Options
  • 01-12-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was sick from work for a day a few weeks ago.

I just checked and the sick day was calculated as annual leave, so I have had one day deducted from my annual leave.

Is this allowed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

It will depend on what your contract says about sick leave.

If you're not entitled to be paid for sick leave, then you have a choice of whether you use up a day's annual leave, or they simply don't pay you for the day that you missed.

They cannot insist that the day is taken as annual leave if this was not agreed with you (unless of course there is a provision in your contract which allows this, but that would be very unusual)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You could always ask to be deducted a day's pay instead.

However, if it's a small company it might be a minor headache for the payroll officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

It will depend on what your contract says about sick leave.

If you're not entitled to be paid for sick leave, then you have a choice of whether you use up a day's annual leave, or they simply don't pay you for the day that you missed.

They cannot insist that the day is taken as annual leave if this was not agreed with you (unless of course there is a provision in your contract which allows this, but that would be very unusual)
    THIS

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Correct - but many companies / managers think they're doing you a favour by just automaticallly putting it thru as A/L whether you ask or not.

Advertisement