Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out which bank a house is mortgaged with?

Options
  • 01-12-2011 4:31pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here goes.

Due to an almighty fook up with my bank a load of post(including 2 new credit cards) has been sent to my old property that I sold back in 2007 and has been for the last 4 years.

Not a problem you say but I called in to the old property today and the house is boarded up,in bits and a sherrifs notice on the front door and a huge pile of post in the porch.

Got talking to an old neighbour and apparently the people that bought my house back in 2007 have disappeared..basically they left the country and abandoned the house,defaulted on the mortage and no one knows where they are.I contacted the sheriff and they dont know the name of the bank that loaned the money for teh property...The instructions they received are from a 3rd party and not a bank.

So in order for me to sort my post out I need to find out which bank has the mortgage on the property--Is there any way that I can find this out without ringing every single bank that gave out mortgages in that year ie 2007.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Would it not be easier to cancel the credit cards and whatever else may be in that post and sort out the address (if not already) and request new copies?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

noxqs wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to cancel the credit cards and whatever else may be in that post and sort out the address (if not already) and request new copies?

Done already--Im more concerned about the whole "identity theft" implications.If someone got a hold of these documents they could do what they wanted with them.

Its also 3 years worth of post up to including bank statements from last week.I have a feeling that there is also a passport and drivers licence in among them that went "missing" in the post.

Only discovered it when I went looking for statemenst and the bank wanted to charge me 4-5 euros a page for "reprints"
    When I asked where the originals were I was told they had been posted each month to my "old" address.

I thought my charges covered reprints from online banking and not hard copies that were sent out every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Your not gonna find out either way as its private information.

Why are you trying to find out? So you can get in to retrieve the post? If so, even if you did find the bank, the ownership of the house may still be in the owners name while the repossession proceedings slowly drag their way through the courts so the bank wouldnt be in a position to enter the property at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

lynchie wrote: »

Why are you trying to find out? So you can get in to retrieve the post? If so, even if you did find the bank, the ownership of the house may still be in the owners name while the repossession proceedings slowly drag their way through the courts so the bank wouldnt be in a position to enter the property at all.

The Sherrif has recommended that if I can find the bank that the property is mortgaged with then I can get my name on a list for the post if/and when the house is repossessed--similar to the situation with the hire purchase people that are looking for TVs etc back.Thats all Im looking for.I just dont want my property going somewhere that Id be afraid of what might happen to it even though it could be a year or more down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

lynchie wrote: »

Not true. The Land Registry store details of all property deeds on a folio which will give you the details of the registered owner and also any charges (i.e. mortgages) outstanding affecting the property. The folios and title maps of the Register are a public record.

A copy of the folio for the property can be got from the Land Registry - there is a fee involved, but I think it is less than €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask your bank if its them. :)

Presumably the sherrif has access tot he court judgement that made him put the notice on the house. Ask for a copy of it. It should name the parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The Sheriff can only act on a court order for possession that order is a public document and will name the bank.

Also go to your own solicitor he can do a search on the property will show up the bank. If you have the name of the person who bought your house you can do a high court search if the case was in the High Court it will show the nam of the plaintiff bank. High Court search here http://highcourtsearch.courts.ie/hcslive/cslogin

Victor wrote: »
    Ask your bank if its them. :)

Already checked--Its not my bank.

Managed to get in touch with the Sherrif again--well the Baliff that put the notice on the door--The court order isnt in relation to the mortgage.Its in relation to some HP that they bought and then fecked off without paying.The order posted on the property was by the baliff to confiscate goods to the same value as what they owe.

There is no repossession order for the house.Yet the house hasnt been lived in in 3.5 years.

Only thing I can think of is that the mortgage is still being paid by someone but that person isnt living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't know if knowing the bank will really help you, but your solicitor may know who the bank was, because the bank would have been involved in the conveyance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is there any way to get access to the house without causing any damage, e.g. Do you still have any of the keys or know of a window which can open without being broken. Trespass is a civil matter provided you don't intend to commit criminal damage. If the owner turns up, you'd be delighted, he'd be within his rights to ask you to leave but at least you could recover your property. It's unlawful or him to withhold your post in such circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

find some old document showing your name in relation to the property.

find a locksmith.

tell him you lost your keys / was abroad / whatever.

slip 50 cash ( or whatever it takes, depending on proximity to locksmith etc ) to the locksmith + he'll have you in a jiffy. 30 seconds I saw one opening a door once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Marcusm wrote: »
    Is there any way to get access to the house without causing any damage, e.g. Do you still have any of the keys or know of a window which can open without being broken. Trespass is a civil matter provided you don't intend to commit criminal damage. If the owner turns up, you'd be delighted, he'd be within his rights to ask you to leave but at least you could recover your property. It's unlawful or him to withhold your post in such circumstances.

My thoughts exactly. Is it possible that a neighbour has a key? Have the locks been changed since you moved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CompNewb

Look on http://www.landdirect.ie/eng/ and search online by map.

Find the property and see if you can get any info for it. May cost you 2.50 or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

gigino wrote: »
    find some old document showing your name in relation to the property.

find a locksmith.

tell him you lost your keys / was abroad / whatever.

slip 50 cash ( or whatever it takes, depending on proximity to locksmith etc ) to the locksmith + he'll have you in a jiffy. 30 seconds I saw one opening a door once.

That is defo civil trespass and possible criminal trespass.

go the legal route to get legal trespass so. makes no difference to me.
    the op should have got his post redirected anyway.

its actually easy to open most front door locks ( unless its a mortice ) yourself, but I am not telling you how.

go the legal route to get legal trespass so. makes no difference to me.

Im not going to break into a house regardless--Knowing my luck Id end up arrested.

the op should have got his post redirected anyway.

It was redirected--all of it.The bamk had two addresses on my account one which should have been taken off it when we moved but they never did and then the bright sparks in the bank decided to send all post to the old address.They even found the letter where I notified them of change of address.Completely their cock up--not mine.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its also 3 years worth of post up to including bank statements from last week.I have a feeling that there is also a passport and drivers licence in among them that went "missing" in the post.
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    It was redirected--all of it.

so how come it took 3 years to cop on, and how did the bank end up posting you the passport + driving licence ?

so how come it took 3 years to cop on, and how did the bank end up posting you the passport + driving licence ?

Im not 100% sure abot these 2.But they went missing around the time I changed address.

Advertisement