Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID Trouble

Options
  • 01-12-2011 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Have two old blades (****, but beside the point) that I'm trying to get going. They function fine non raid but I'd like to have hard raid on both. Thing is I'm not sure if I can now with the current hardware.

IBM eServer 326[Opteron 250/4GB]
    LSI Logic SCSI Controller
    Sli SataLink Controller

My drives are SATA, so obviously I'm using the Sli controller[ 3512A SATAlink BIOS Version 4.3.534 ]. Thing is, googling seems to suggest that it might have RAID support(I only want 0) but I never get the Ctrl+S/F4 prompt such as to configure it from the bios. Post here though says "it will say something like "SATALink" with the non-RAID version. "

Oh and Ubuntu 11.10 labels it a SATA Raid controller.

Does it support raid? and if so how do I enable/configure it?

Thanks,
    ED E.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

How many disks in each? I've found in some HP servers that if two disks are found it automatically creates a RAID array.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just two 80GBs. I wish it were as simple as plug and play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

if is on-board controller,you have to go in the motherboard'BIOS and not in controller'BIOS for settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tried that, no hint of raid in the mobo bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

If all you want is RAID 0 - i.e. span the two disks - does it really matter if you use hard or soft RAID? Performance wise, I can't see it making much of a difference.

I mean if you have two disks and use LVM to present them as a single volume, will that not get you pretty much the same result?

• Advertisement
Advertisement