Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract: Some weekend/evening work : I work every weekend

Options
  • 01-12-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there.

I started in a company 6 months ago at an entry level position. I am paid 24k so I know i'm in a good position for a graduate.

When HR offered me the job she insisted it would "not be every weekend but on a rotation system". I asked for a Saturday off and said I would work that Monday but my supervisor said no and took from my holiday balance for that day which I did not want but it was my graduation so I had no choice.

I do not enjoy not having weekends as I don't see any of my friends these days and my life is becoming really mundane. My friends are monday-friday and yet I have to work every Saturday/Sunday and I get either Sunday and Monday off or Monday and Tuesday.

There's no flexibility in this regard and the people who I could swap with laugh at me every time I try to get a weekend off.

Any advice please? Do I have any rights to put my foot down and demand they stick to their word re rota system?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it would depend on the exact wording of your originally signed contract of employment.
    an off-the-cuff promise of not having to work every weekend is worth zilch, as it would be your word vs his/hers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Op, it's a graduate position and for whatever reason they seem to like you to do a weekend day.

My advice:
    Do it with a smile.
    Make the most of your mid-week day off.
    If you really need a weekend off, ask well in advance.
    And just be thankful you're not working both Saturday and Sunday.

Don't let people know it bugs you. Management will no doubt sense that you are unhappy for some reason, even if they don't know the actual reason you are unhappy.

edit: i realise I sound like a hippy :D but if your contract states you should be available for weekend work there's no reason to stress yourself out by what you perceive as unfairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're stil on probation. Make too much of a stink, and you could find that you have every day of the week off.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would look at your work contract and see exactly what it says in regards to weekend work.
    Over the next month I would see who works with you at the weekends and ask them how often do they work Saturday/Sunday. They may tell you all the grads do this for x period of time or give you some other information that may help your cause ie Mary is here 9 months and never worked a weekend. You then need to look at the number of Sat/Sundays you work along with the days you have off since you started.
    Do you work Sat one week and Sunday the next or both days together.
    I would ask your boss for a meeting and give them a brake down of the number of Sat/Sun that you have being working and what you contract says in regards to this. Rather than complaining this is not fair could you ask your boss if I work Sat and Sunday this week could I have the following weekend off?
    I would also mention to them if you work overtime, did projects helped out co workers ect. You want to show your a team player but that you won't be walked on either. If this continues I would go sick for a few days with a doctors cert and leave them to manage without you for a Saturday and Sunday.

Advertisement