Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choice

Options
  • 01-12-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Daughter is a second year junior cert student
    She made a mistake on a subject choice (music) at beginning of this term
    Is it too late to change back to a first year subject choice - home economics?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That really depends on the school. There is a limit to the number can be in a Home Ec. class, for safeety reasons.
    You could ask the school can she take up Home Ec. after the Junior cert. if it's something she'd like to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DS22

Thanks for that will talk to school

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RosemaryMcC

My son starts secondary school in Sept. I got a letter telling me out of Spanish, History and Business Studies he has to choose 2 now. He is an absolute disaster when it comes to Irish at primary school - completely alien to him - so frightened to pick Spanish. Know a third language is important but would it be silly for him to do it knowing his track record with Irish? Anyone out there disastrous at Irish but doing well at Spanish?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

My son starts secondary school in Sept. I got a letter telling me out of Spanish, History and Business Studies he has to choose 2 now. He is an absolute disaster when it comes to Irish at primary school - completely alien to him - so frightened to pick Spanish. Know a third language is important but would it be silly for him to do it knowing his track record with Irish? Anyone out there disastrous at Irish but doing well at Spanish?

I'm disastrous at Irish but Spanish is one of my favourite subjects! I think a large part of why I do badly in Irish (and why it's a very unpopular subject overall in the country) is because of the way it's taught - from what I remember the primary school curriculum was very focused on learning off lists of random vocabulary rather than actually speaking the language in everyday contexts, and then in secondary school the majority of the course is focused on learning off responses to obscure poems and stories that we don't actually understand rather than learning how to speak the darn language. I find the Spanish course much more efficient. In my experience Irish teachers are also more often than not very poor at teaching, which doesn't help to motivate students either. But I digress.
    I would highly highly recommend that you encourage him to do Spanish. It's taught very differently to Irish, and not including a third language in his subject choices will close so many doors to him at this early stage. If he finds it unbearable he can always drop it for the Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'd say tell her to hang tough through the Junior Cert. Do you pick your subjects again when going into 5th year in this school? If so then drop music and pick up home Ec naturally. If she can practice hard for her practical she'll be grand.

I'm a lad that did music for his Junior Cert and was red raw useless at it, didn't start practising for my practical until the week before and studied for the exam the night before and got a C.

What's her problem with music? Is it bareable for her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

I'd say tell her to hang tough through the Junior Cert. Do you pick your subjects again when going into 5th year in this school? If so then drop music and pick up home Ec naturally. If she can practice hard for her practical she'll be grand.

I'm a lad that did music for his Junior Cert and was red raw useless at it, didn't start practising for my practical until the week before and studied for the exam the night before and got a C.

What's her problem with music? Is it bareable for her?

I think your talking to the wrong person ?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

coolerboy wrote: »
    I think your talking to the wrong person ?? ;)

Just realised op was from 3 years ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RosemaryMcC

Thankyou so much for your reply. Food for thought. I just wonder were you as disastrous as my son at Irish! My oldest son was the same you see and did not as a result study French at his school. He had to do LC foundation Irish and got a D which was a miracle. He found the whole Irish experience very humiliating.

Advertisement