Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap pir floodlights

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

M cebee wrote: »
    http://www.meteorelectrical.com/lighting-lamps_lighting_outdoor-lighting.html

just wondering are the 24watt a fairly good sensor lite?

My experience is that cheap sensor lights will break your heart.
    They will switch on and off erratically (if at all), rust and expire prematurely.

My advice is to pay the extra and get something like a Stinel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

The best combined sensor light I,ve ever seen were a B&Q own brand at 7.50 each a few years ago.Don,t talk to me about steinal , overpriced sh1te .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/lighting-lamps_lighting_outdoor-lighting.html

just wondering are the 24watt a fairly good sensor lite?

what's the warm-up time like on them? and bulb life and lumens?

i assume that the 3watt is only a 50watt equivalent?

any comment ?thanks

Some are good and most of them are bad.

Why not buy a propper stand alone PIR unit and then wire 2 normal lights off it instead?

Just like I did.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Its front and back
    ive used steinel plenty but for domestic it doesnt always pay to be using them

anyone comment on those cfl and pir re:

warmup time
    lamp life
    operation in cold

or the led floods

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Its front and back
    ive used steinel plenty but for domestic it doesnt always pay to be using them
    I know what you mean, but after several call backs your profit and reputation will be gone.

You can install CLF lamps in most halogen sensor lights.
    Why not buy a propper stand alone PIR unit and then wire 2 normal lights off it instead?
    This is a good cheaper alternative. It is possible to buy a quality CFL light fitting for small money. A stand alone Stinel PIR is not that expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I wont be fitting 2 steinel pirs here

just wondering what the cfl is like with pir

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I wont be fitting 2 steinel pirs here

just wondering what the cfl is like with pir

hi, i think this very issue was raised before. We've been coming across LED floodlights a bit lately, but TBH for anything that looks like a decent fitting you need to spend a lot of money IMO, not really a cheap working alternative yet, we really only used them as it was a general requirement on the whole project a kind of sweeping one liner in a specification worked out about 5 times more expensive.

I don't like the look of any of the cheaper LED floods I saw as the LEDs were not good quality.

I think i linked you or the OP to a spiral CFL lamp that I have seen working quite well in the past. As you know the spiral CFLs tend to switch about 3 times faster that other 50Hz CFLs, however there are some nice high frequency CFLs floods out there but once again they are not cheap. The cheapest CFL lamp that works that I was was the spiral CFL, it was about 20Watts and it had a bit of a punch. I think they were only about 5 euro in CPC so well worth a go yourself as a trial. they also sell the whole unit with a suitable PIR that will switch CFLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

There are 10w LED flood lights out now that are impressive and are coming down in price. Think I paid about €40 for one recently in the wholesaler. Doesn't come with a PIR but you could wire one up to it I suppose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For decent LED flood lights you need 50w LED. They will give you around the traditional 300w. The type of light takes a bit of getting used to. They are expensive though at over €120 + vat just for the lamp.

You can get an actual 50w LED floodlight for that price. Seems expensive if it's that for the lamp only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

FMartinp wrote: »
    You can get an actual 50w LED floodlight for that price. Seems expensive if it's that for the lamp only.

Any links to 50w you are referring to ?

http://www.greenlamp.ie/userfiles/file/database/50W%20LED%20FloodLight.pdf

Not sure if this link works but the fitting is on this website. Think these guys only supply the Wholesalers and their LED floods are not as cheap as the brand my wholesaler stocks but believe me it's the exact same fitting in a different box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Lads, have a couple of 150w pir halogen security lights on either side of the back of the house. One of them has died and was thinking of replacing it with either an led or cfl type of similar wattage. Looking for an all in one if possible and wondered whats the going rate for these units and decent make/model to look out for in the wholesaler.

Thanks

Advertisement