Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Has anyone bought the 60smd led bulbs from this guy? Any good or I should look elsewhere?

(if for some reason linking sites is not allowed please feel free to delete this post. )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the 60smd led bulbs from this guy? Any good or I should look elsewhere?

(if for some reason linking sites is not allowed please feel free to delete this post. )
    A quick google online says a 50w haolgen should give out about 700+ lumens.

Quite how he can claim it's an equivalent of 50w at only 250 lumens, I'm not sure. Ask him and see what he has to say might be an idea.

Once he has one dodgy claim on performance, best avoid. Unless he has some valid explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jlav1

Hi everyone. Could someone tell me which would be more energy efficient/economical - led downlights on 12v transformer or GU10 led lights straight? Thanks people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Thinking of redoing some lighting in my dark flat :(
    Anyhow - I hear about Phillips Living Colour stuff and was intersted. Since the Phillips shop on Dame street closed - is there any where else that showrooms this stuff to go and have a look - tis mighty pricey stuff to buy sight unseen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

LED bulbs, not just for light any more!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/07/3gbps-led-light-bulb-enabled-wlan-acheived-by-fraunhofer-heinric/

might be an interesting read if you're a nerd like me. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Dee_1982

Hi all, I recently installed 9 dimmable gu10 6w led bulbs and a recommended dimmer switch. They work fine when they are up high at 100% brightness, but when you dim them below approximately 65% they become unstable.
    When they are dimmed low they slightly dim and brighten on there own, and it's not just one bulb it's the 9 bulbs all in sync.
    Any ideas as to what is wrong or what I should do?

The dimmer switch often require a minimum load of about 20 watts to operate. When you lower the dim, you are probably going below its threshold, and hence the instability. Are the bulbs designed to be dimmable? Not all are. That could also be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dee_1982

cast_iron wrote: »
    The dimmer switch often require a minimum load of about 20 watts to operate. When you lower the dim, you are probably going below its threshold, and hence the instability. Are the bulbs designed to be dimmable? Not all are. That could also be a problem.

Yeah the bulbs are dimmable. Could anyone recommend me a reall good dimmer switch then?

Dee_1982 wrote: »
    Yeah the bulbs are dimmable. Could anyone recommend me a reall good dimmer switch then?
    Ring a local electrical wholesaler and see what they have in stock. You can get a good MK one, but it will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

I have 2 kitchen ceiling light fittings that have a bar with 4 28W GU4 MR11 bulbs on each.

I was looking at replacing them with LED bulbs and came across these

http://www.lightrabbit.ie/eye-light-plus-warm-white-mr11-led-bulb-3-watt-230-lumens.html

However, looking at a comparison, my existing bulbs are 420 lumens and the replacement LEDs are 260 lumens.
    I'm not up to speed on the whole lumens thing but I am guessing that the LEDs are inferior when it comes to amount of light. The exisiting lights are not the brightest as it is but are fine. A lower level of light probably would be too dim.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on whether it is a realistic swap or would I be better off keeping the existing bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

batman1 you have the correct idea in looking at the lumen values. Unless your existing fittings are very inefficient distributing 420 lumens per lamp (and I doubt they are) then you will indeed notice a considerable drop off in the intensity of light in the room, if its already poor then changing to these fittings will only make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Hi,

I'm looking for colour changing GU10 LED bulbs, if such a thing exist. They are for accent lighting around a soffit in a home cinema room.

Ideally they would dim gently, change colour together (13 in total spread around the room), and be on a remote control.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

soldsold wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for colour changing GU10 LED bulbs, if such a thing exist. They are for accent lighting around a soffit in a home cinema room.

Ideally they would dim gently, change colour together (13 in total spread around the room), and be on a remote control.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Have you spot lights already? If not an RGB LED 10M tape with a remote should cost around 25 euro on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

I have 13 downlighters in a soffit, and an LED strip light over the soffit. I could go with dimmable gu10's as the downlighters but the option of accent colour on the walls they light is appealing.

This is the back wall that has the projector:

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u542/SteveOLeary/photo1_zps52d05a45.jpg

The full room build is here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1731438-rock-flix-10-year-anniversary-build-thread.html

soldsold wrote: »
    I have 13 downlighters in a soffit, and an LED strip light over the soffit. I could go with dimmable gu10's as the downlighters but the option of accent colour on the walls they light is appealing.

This is the back wall that has the projector:

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u542/SteveOLeary/photo1_zps52d05a45.jpg

The full room build is here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1731438-rock-flix-10-year-anniversary-build-thread.html

Very nice, there are plenty of gu10 colour changing lamps. I've used them and you can get them all with remotes, if you put them random and swich the cct as one then they will all follow the same sequence. If the downlights are hidden, I still think a tape running in the same line as them is s good option, I have one above my kitchen units lighting the gap between the ceiling and the top of the units

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I have the philips 4w led spots in the kitchen and love them. Where can I get the philips B22 led lights?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have the philips 4w led spots in the kitchen and love them. Where can I get the philips B22 led lights?

Eurosales in Glasnevin or TEG in Santry.

Or on Amazon or Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Thread with pics with regards to Ikea LED.;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83801902

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rule

Do You know from where Ledare products come from, is this chineese stuff?

• Advertisement

Rule wrote: »
    Do You know from where Ledare products come from, is this chineese stuff?

Back of every packet or box.....

"made in china"

So too are the Philips Master 4W LED GU10s.:)

the bad news is that there people work for 10p per day, I do not support this kind of practice, better looking for a European product.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Very little stuff is not chinese, alot of stuff is desgiend in Europe and made to asian factories to the designers spec.

10cents in china goes a lot further than 10cents in europe.

I know that, money talks, it is difficult for a European product in the LED lighting industry at this time,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rule wrote: »
    I know that, money talks, it is difficult for a European product in the LED lighting industry at this time,

Not just lighting but every product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

going to be installing some spots tomorrow and will be using the phillips master 4w leds. 5 spots in a hall and 7 in a sitting room. is there different types of the 4w leds available ie cool white etc or are they just a generic led that covers all aspects????

stevo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

few before and after pics using the phillips master 4w. 1st time using them and i have to say im seriously impressed with the finished product. the light output exceeded my expectations.

20130511133912.jpg

20130511133921.jpg

20130511133936.jpg

20130511133950.jpg

20130511133959.jpg

20130511134016.jpg

20130511134037.jpg

20130511203337.jpg

20130511203348.jpg

20130511203404.jpg

20130511203417.jpg

20130511203519.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Just a warning to confirm that LEDs are definitely susceptible to voltage spikes. We had a lightning strike a couple of days ago and lost all but a few of our 40 GU10s. A mix of 4W and 7W Phillips. No visible damage, unlike the CFLs that are scorched. (The few tungstens we have are OK)

Insurance covers this in principle, but I can see me having problems claiming €500 in light bulbs though!

While lightning may be rare, it has been mentioned that you shouldn't mix LEDs and Halogens on the same circuit, as the halogens generate a voltage spike ( back e.m.f. due to inductance) when they are switched off, and this can kill the control circuitry in the LED lamps. I can believe it now!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Scartbeg wrote: »
    Just a warning to confirm that LEDs are definitely susceptible to voltage spikes. We had a lightning strike a couple of days ago and lost all but a few of our 40 GU10s. A mix of 4W and 7W Phillips. No visible damage, unlike the CFLs that are scorched. (The few tungstens we have are OK)

Insurance covers this in principle, but I can see me having problems claiming €500 in light bulbs though!

While lightning may be rare, it has been mentioned that you shouldn't mix LEDs and Halogens on the same circuit, as the halogens generate a voltage spike ( back e.m.f. due to inductance) when they are switched off, and this can kill the control circuitry in the LED lamps. I can believe it now!

was your house struck by lightening. or there was just a lighting storm within sight happening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Lenny wrote: »
    was your house struck by lightening. or there was just a lighting storm within sight happening?

Direct hit - see attached jpg

Advertisement