Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bright lights

In my opinion the SLV pendants are only an average fitting for overall illumination I.e 40watt ring fluorescent will create a decent lux level directly below the fitting but you will not get very good even uniformity of light from these 2 pendants. The RGB element is a nice touch for mood lighting but as its only 9watt RGB , it is really only effective at nighttime .To me its a fitting to be hung over a table etc for local light rather than a general illumination fitting.if you install 2 of these fittings then you will need to suppliment them with task lighting like LED strip to highlight work surfaces like counters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,153 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's what I was afraid of, I don't what to end up with cave lighting, what would you recommend for bright dimmable ceiling lighting, I want white light...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I have an alcove which needs a new light fixture in the ceiling and think a recessed light would look nice.

Originally thought about a halogen light, but these seem to be very heavy on energy-consumption, so considering going for an LED light instead.

My only experience with LED are the harsh white lights you get on bike lamps, but can you get "warm" light alternatives? Can any LED light be used in any mount, or do I need to decide on what LED I want to use before I buy the housing?

Also where in Dublin could I get a directional mount like this one? Would be handy if I wanted to point the light against the wall etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mrcheez wrote: »
    I have an alcove which needs a new light fixture in the ceiling and think a recessed light would look nice.

Originally thought about a halogen light, but these seem to be very heavy on energy-consumption, so considering going for an LED light instead.

My only experience with LED are the harsh white lights you get on bike lamps, but can you get "warm" light alternatives? Can any LED light be used in any mount, or do I need to decide on what LED I want to use before I buy the housing?

Also where in Dublin could I get a directional mount like this one? Would be handy if I wanted to point the light against the wall etc.

Philips Master 4w LED...2700k and warm white light from it.

Robus make those recessed downlight panels.

Any good leccy wholesaler will get it for you.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

I bought some GU10 leds to try them out and found them to be really harsh too. From memory the colour temperature was 4000K, I'd aim for 3000K or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

paddy147 wrote: »

Any harm to ask how much you paid for those bulbs Paddy??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AFAIK They're about €9 +VAT from a wholesaler.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

When I bought them early last year,it was 8 euro 50 cents plus vat.

Probabaly a bit cheaper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

paddy147 wrote: »

Did anyone that purchased these have a problem with any of them?

I bought them about March 2012 and 1 is starting to act up on me. I'm happy with them but the problem is bugging me !

The effects of the problem is flickering, the light gets switched on and after a couple of minutes the bulb starts flickering like crazy, it's very annoying. There is 8 bulbs in the row and the other 7 are sound (thus far)

If I switch off the lights and switch back on it goes (for a while and then returns)

Faulty bulb?? Unlucky?? For around a tenner a pop I'd expect it to go the distance on what was promised (hours-wise) before it gives up the ghost on me :)

Anyone else have any problems with these Philips LED bulbs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

^^^^^^^^^

I bought 13 of these in March this year and no problems yet, although I know you have yours for a year longer.

Have you tried the bulb in one of the other fittings and put one of the others in its place to try and rule out a problem with the fitting itself?

I was told that there was a 5 year guarantee on these so it might be worth your while contacting the outlet you bought them from if you can narrow it down to a problem with the bulb itself.

• Advertisement

jprboy wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

I bought 13 of these in March this year and no problems yet, although I know you have yours for a year longer.

Have you tried the bulb in one of the other fittings and put one of the others in its place to try and rule out a problem with the fitting itself?

I was told that there was a 5 year guarantee on these so it might be worth your while contacting the outlet you bought them from if you can narrow it down to a problem with the bulb itself.

I didn't but will try that to ensure it is the bulb and not a faulty connection. Cheers.

Having tried that it's defintely the bulb as it's acting up the same as previously, in a different fitting.

Anyone know if there is a long guarantee on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Having tried that it's defintely the bulb as it's acting up the same as previously, in a different fitting.

Anyone know if there is a long guarantee on them?

As stated in my earlier post:
    jprboy wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mark71

I've fitted some LED downlights around the house and now considering to fit new LED downlights in the master bathroom. I am wondering what LEDs and fitting to use:

1) Should I use 230V GU10 or 12V MR16 LEDs?

2) Do I need to use IP65 graded fittings even with 12V LEDs?

3) Should I go with the warm white LEDs (I have them in other rooms) or a bit brighter cool white light would be the preferred option for bathrooms?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

need to replace about 30 of these, local wholesaler are 8 eure each, was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on bulbs from ikea as they are only 5 euro each?
    http://m.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/art/20220039/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hi they look ok

Luminous flux: 150 lm over 25000 hours, but no details on how much this will fall off or what scale they are using to measure the output of the lamp after 25K hours.

The philips and GE lamps out there at around 8.5 - 12 euro will offer Luminous flux: 180 lm over 40000 hours, but there is significant fall off there too by the time we reach 40000 hours

There is a philips lamp that can deliver 270Lm for 20000 and it should cost about 10 euro to 12 euro. its 5 Watt and I'd imagine a significantly better lamp that the one you offered, but there is a huge cost difference.

So at 5 euro your lamp is less intense than the philips market leader the philips master LED 4W dimmable (150Lm vs 180 Lm)
    it is guraanteed to last for a good deal less time 25000hrs vs 40000hrs
    It will cost 25% more to run, 5W vs 4Watt
    You cant dim it but the philips is dimmable

but it is half the price. so its your own decission

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mark71 wrote: »
    I've fitted some LED downlights around the house and now considering to fit new LED downlights in the master bathroom. I am wondering what LEDs and fitting to use:

1) Should I use 230V GU10 or 12V MR16 LEDs?

2) Do I need to use IP65 graded fittings even with 12V LEDs?

3) Should I go with the warm white LEDs (I have them in other rooms) or a bit brighter cool white light would be the preferred option for bathrooms?

Many thanks.

HI sorry we missed this.

1) 230V GU10
    2) Yes, if you needed ip65 for the fitting, you still will, however not all fittings in a bathroom need to be ip65. If you look at the RObus web site thay have good value fittings for bathrooms and documents explaining the different zones, IP54 will do in some areas
    3) that is up to you, you will get more lumens / light per watt using the whiter lamps, but colour is up to you, I'd for for as bright as possible though, shaving etc, but just pop in more lamps if you want it warm and bright

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I bought 4 of these about a year ago. Cant fault them and very good value.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Life-Lamp-Company-replacements/dp/B006UR5IUY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

What do people think of Aldi's up coming lights?

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-6th-october/products-detail-page/ps/p/led-light-bulb-assortments-reflectors/

It's very hard to get info on them.

The pricing isnt too clear. It seems they are 7.99 regardless of what Watt version you purchase?

There are 4W 220 lum @ 7.99. (Ikea is 4W 200 lum @ 5)
    and there is 5W 320 lum.

They have a 38degree spread which is nice and wide comparing to IKEA (33 i believe?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭josip

Going to hammer the capital expenditure budget this month and splash out on 20 * Philips 7W dimmable Master Leds to replace our 50W Halogens. Stoner, I've taken your advice from a few months back and will replace with GU10s.
    In order to get close to the 50W luminous flux, I'd prefer to use the 7W rather than the 4W, but they seem very expensive comapred to the 4W.
    The cheapest I can find is €20 each from one of them internets, and in Ireland "only" €30 from a crowd in Mullingar. In Paddy's absence, can anyone tell me how much they are in Eurosales? Has anyone any advice/words of caution before I plough ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you sure you need the 7 watt?
    I replaced 8 50w halogen in the kitchen with 8 4watt and the difference is minimal.
    Why not get 1 7w and 1 4w stick them in and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

josip wrote: »
    Going to hammer the capital expenditure budget this month and splash out on 20 * Philips 7W dimmable Master Leds to replace our 50W Halogens. Stoner, I've taken your advice from a few months back and will replace with GU10s.
    In order to get close to the 50W luminous flux, I'd prefer to use the 7W rather than the 4W, but they seem very expensive comapred to the 4W.
    The cheapest I can find is €20 each from one of them internets, and in Ireland "only" €30 from a crowd in Mullingar. In Paddy's absence, can anyone tell me how much they are in Eurosales? Has anyone any advice/words of caution before I plough ahead?

Try the 5W LED GU10 from Lumeno. It's 450 lumens and has a 60 degree spread and is only €8.95+vat. It's available online slightly cheaper. It's the best LED I have ever fitted and is as bright as a 50W GU10. Further to this it's also dimmable!! I'd definitely try this before spending €20 each.

FMartinp wrote: »
    Try the 5W LED GU10 from Lumeno. It's 450 lumens and has a 60 degree spread and is only €8.95+vat. It's available online slightly cheaper. It's the best LED I have ever fitted and is as bright as a 50W GU10. Further to this it's also dimmable!! I'd definitely try this before spending €20 each.

Thanks FMartinp, but these don't seem to be dimmable or have I misunderstood something? They also seem to be a cluster LED. Some people say that single LEDs perform better than cluster LEDs but I don't know what exactly the difference in performance is.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 WhiteNoSugar

Hi Josip, don't confuse DIP cluster bulbs with multi LED bulbs. they are very different products. "Cluster" LED lamps use lots of low power DIP LEDs (up to 80!) crammed into a conventional fitting with virtually no heatsink.

Multi LED Spots use 20-24 (typically) SMD5050 or SMD3014 mid power LEDs with a decent heatsink.

The one lumeno are selling is a popular model which is available from a number of LED vendors.

<SNIP>
    Mod Edit: Refrain from advertising in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I can only second this advice. I want to replace some 50W too. So i've decided to replace 2 of them with 5-7Ws, and the rest with 4Ws. Put the brighter ones where you need them most like at the counter top in the kitchen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

josip wrote: »
    Thanks FMartinp, but these don't seem to be dimmable or have I misunderstood something? They also seem to be a cluster LED. Some people say that single LEDs perform better than cluster LEDs but I don't know what exactly the difference in performance is.

They are available in dimmable for the same price since 01st Oct. Maybe the wholesalers haven't got them in yet in dimmable, but they are definitely available as I got them last week.

I'm now considering the Lumenos.
    450lm 5W €10-€12
    versus
    270lm 7W Philips Master LED €25-€30

seems too good to be true... Almost double the brightness, less power consumption, half the price.
    ...It's the best LED I have ever fitted and is as bright as a 50W GU10...

Do you consider it's the best LED because of its brightness?

I would have thought all LEDs would be capable of their rated lumens initially and what would differentiate the good from the bad would be deterioration over time and their ability to reach their rated lifespan?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

I have a bog standard light fitting outside the back door (The cheap ones with the bulb and clear plastic cover.)

I would like to fit an LED floodlight for going out for coal/bins etc. Iwas looking at a 10 or 20 watt one.

My question is how to connect it up. The LED lights have a wire coming out from the unit. Do I remove this wire and wire the cable from the house directly into the LED light or do I need to join the wire from the lamp to the wire from the house in a junction.

Just wondering for waterproofing etc.

(I fitted the existing one myself so am reasonably capable)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

If the new led fitting is pre-wired, just terminate the connection between the two cables in a suitable junction box and fix it to the wall beside the new fitting. The cable from the house supplying the light should be a minimum of 1.5 sq, the cable in the fitting is probably going to be 3x.75sq flex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

If it is a cheap LED floodlight I would unscrew the back cover and wire directly inside. The copper used on these lamps can be pretty poor quality so better to use decent cable direct and then you can check the gland and internal connections quality inside also!! You need to be "competent" not capable to DIY.

Advertisement