Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

Are these 10w / 20w led floodlights typically not 12V DC? Therefore requiring a 240V mains to 12V DC LED transformer/driver?
    Didn't know you could get 240V LEDs cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If the new led fitting is pre-wired, just terminate the connection between the two cables in a suitable junction box and fix it to the wall beside the new fitting. The cable from the house supplying the light should be a minimum of 1.5 sq, the cable in the fitting is probably going to be 3x.75sq flex.

this is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

ya...if it's pre-wired you fit a box

you'd void warranty and god knows what else tampering with fitting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just an update on this. One of the reasons I had been considering the lumeno was because of a comment here ( now removed ) that lumeno are a brand, like Philips. While they may be a brand, mentioning them in the same sentence as Philips is misleading at best. They are an Irish company selling predominantly to Ireland. They have a 3 year corporate history and their most recent publicly available estimated book value is €79,100 .

How can a company sell a product with a rated life expectancy of 35000 hours when the company hasn't been around that long? Is this just a rebadged generic product?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

josip wrote: »
    Just an update on this. One of the reasons I had been considering the lumeno was because of a comment here ( now removed ) that lumeno are a brand, like Philips. While they may be a brand, mentioning them in the same sentence as Philips is misleading at best. They are an Irish company selling predominantly to Ireland. They have a 3 year corporate history and their most recent publicly available estimated book value is €79,100 .

How can a company sell a product with a rated life expectancy of 35000 hours when the company hasn't been around that long? Is this just a rebadged generic product?
    Companies use accelerated life testing, also individual components have rated life times. The 35k is found via the accelerated life testing or is simply the rating if the shortest lived component.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

In Paddy's absence, can anyone tell me how much they are in Eurosales? Has anyone any advice/words of caution before I plough ahead?
    I'm not the only one missing Paddy then? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

Let's be clear here. They were mentioned as a brand like Philips only to highlight that they do not sell direct to us - the general public. Their product like Philips is only available through other channels / wholesalers.

I like the Lumeno lamp because of its colour, spread of light and price. The fact that its now dimmable at the same price is unbelievable. It has a 3 year guarantee. Try a few of them out and if you don't like them put them back in their boxes and bring them back to wherever you get them from. You can always swap them for the Philips then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

First of all the Philips master led is about 8.5 ex vat in eurosales.

There has been some bs posted here with respect to Leds.

Comments are removed if they are considered as advertising a product, not putting forward a product name from established posters

Indeed a homeowner pushing and pushing his/her limited lamp selection has in the past earned a removed post or two ,simply because the information was limited and factually incorrect.

The Philips master led 4 watt was stated at 25k hours 180 lm. Maybe they are 15K now, they change a lot, as have the warranties from three years to one in some cases, this is the case with most of the led supplies.

Philips have a core led at 4watt about 7.5euro ex vat 10k hours and 270lm. It's a decent lamp, won't dim though

The extra lumens can take it out of a lamps life.

Also there is no mention of the output after 25 or 10 thousand hours

There are scales to measure this, some companies will use a 50 percent or 70/80 percent accepted reduction scale.

So with the 450lm will this be half that after 10k hours.

It's a worthwhile question. Usually the payoff for better initial lm is a faster lamp deterioration.

Unfortunately lamp manufactures don't give you this information, they make it seem as if the lamp will last for 15K years as is, but it won't and with leds you need this information.

Companies like Philips, Osram, GE will give it to you. Generic China leds won't. That is why we recommend a well known brand.

We don't recommend people select lamps from posters shillings their own products, or over pushy posters shoving their selections just because they selected them.
    I'm no trying to be an ass here but we've had guys here swear by lamps that have 15year life guarantee, even though they only have them 6 months, they read it on the box.

It's not on the new boxes.

So becareful with any LED lamps. Find out its expected lm output after 10,15,20K hours. If the manufacturer can't provide this then avoid the lamp IMHO.

I've been involved in this forum since its inception, most of the bans and infractions if not all that I've handed out have been to guys pushing lamps here. It's a hotbed for BS.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

In short buying a lamp, popping it in a judging it is not a test of the lamps performance.

Come back after 1000 or 10000 hours of use. It's output could be down 50 percent, and if the manufacturer tested to that scale then you won't get your money back. You will just have half the '' light'' you thought you had, and this could be exactly what you bought.

It happens to all the lamps, just at different rates and they are not all tested to the same conditions.

Last post from me on this, just to share the fruits of my research.
    I googled "5W LED GU10 60 degree dimmable SMD 5050 450 lumens" or similar to see if there were other LED spots out there with similar characteristics to the Lumeno. That way I'd be able to form my own opinion if it was a rebranded generic or an in-house designed spot.

This is the Lumeno 5W spot in question.

I found this shortly after.
    I'm open to correction, but it looks the same as the Lumeno to me.

I also found this.
    The Gen II above seems to be an older generation and the newer Gen III has been bought in to comply with new EU regs.

I'm not promoting the above sites/products, I've just included them so that other readers can read and judge for themselves

At this stage I'm going to submit a purchase request to the budget holder and bite a very expensive 8W Philips bullet.

• Advertisement

Last post from me on this, just to share the fruits of my research.
    I googled "5W LED GU10 60 degree dimmable SMD 5050 450 lumens" or similar to see if there were other LED spots out there with similar characteristics to the Lumeno. That way I'd be able to form my own opinion if it was a rebranded generic or an in-house designed spot.

This is the Lumeno 5W spot in question.

I found this shortly after.
    I'm open to correction, but it looks the same as the Lumeno to me.

I also found this.
    The Gen II above seems to be an older generation and the newer Gen III has been bought in to comply with new EU regs.

I'm not promoting the above sites/products, I've just included them so that other readers can read and judge for themselves

At this stage I'm going to submit a purchase request to the budget holder and bite a very expensive 8W Philips bullet.
    Before you do check out the GE leds. They use the lumen maintenance factor L70. I think others here use nothing or L50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daveyb111

Hi Guys

You would Void the warranty with nearly all suppliers if the flood light is opened, they also have a rubber seal which if not placed in the correct place when putting back together could cause a leak. <MOD SNIP: "NAME OF COMPANY THAT DAVEY WORKS FOR"> have a good range of LED Flood lights and there prices are not too bad. check out the following link <MOD SNIP: "LINK TO COMPANY THAT DAVEY WORKS FOR" (according to his 1st post)>

Mod edit: Please read the charter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I have a 3 bulb GU10 fitting in a room where I'd like to use narrow cone bulbs to illuminate some features on each wall. I don't really want the room lit too much just the focus point on the wall.

Where do I go and what am I looking for?

quarryman wrote: »
    I have a 3 bulb GU10 fitting in a room where I'd like to use narrow cone bulbs to illuminate some features on each wall. I don't really want the room lit too much just the focus point on the wall.

Where do I go and what am I looking for?

A wholesaler will have options, eurosales, kellihers, edmundsons. Many leds have narrow beams anyway, you can capitalise on that, a 40 degree lamp, GE, Philips, Osram etc are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Stoner wrote: »
    A wholesaler will have options, eurosales, kellihers, edmundsons. Many leds have narrow beams anyway, you can capitalise on that, a 40 degree lamp, GE, Philips, Osram etc are decent.

Ok great thanks. The existing fitting is 240v. Should I consider switching to a 12v and transformer setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I bought a good few of the 4w gu10 LED spotlights for the kitchen and hall, what a difference in energy costs!

Now for the big killer to my electric bill, I have about 14 500W PIR Halogen floodlights all around my house and stables. Stray cats and my dog love setting them off, which is even more annoying now as they are being activated when its bright enough to see without them.

What would be the most cost effective solution? I dont even need to have this many lights, its just the way the security is here. I could probably get away with having 10 floodlights, that would more or less provide enough light all the way around.

Im not expecting the same intensity as a 500W halogen, but something not too much worse with a lot less watts would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

I bought a good few of the 4w gu10 LED spotlights for the kitchen and hall, what a difference in energy costs!

Now for the big killer to my electric bill, I have about 14 500W PIR Halogen floodlights all around my house and stables. Stray cats and my dog love setting them off, which is even more annoying now as they are being activated when its bright enough to see without them.

What would be the most cost effective solution? I dont even need to have this many lights, its just the way the security is here. I could probably get away with having 10 floodlights, that would more or less provide enough light all the way around.

Im not expecting the same intensity as a 500W halogen, but something not too much worse with a lot less watts would be great.

I think the most cost effective solution would be to replace the 500w tubes in each of these fittings with either a CFL or LED retrofit lamp. Think the CFL's are about a tenner and the LED's may be around €20. The more expensive alternative would be to replace all the fittings with LED floodlights.

How do the CFL bulbs compare in lumens to the 500w halogen?

Would this kind of thing do?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/958148149/New_arrival_led_r7s_replacing_led.html

Is it simply a case of swapping out the original 500w halogen bulb and replacing it with this, or is there some other kind of jiggery pokery required?

quarryman wrote: »
    Ok great thanks. The existing fitting is 240v. Should I consider switching to a 12v and transformer setup?

No 240V is fine, traffos add losses and helped halogen lamps, not led

• Advertisement

How do the CFL bulbs compare in lumens to the 500w halogen?

I don't know the lumens straight off, but there is a cfl lamp that produces 60 percent of the lumens a 500 watt unit can.

Beghelli have some very good led and cfl fittings and lamps , couldn't always get them in Ireland but I see that edmundsons for one have their cfl floodlights they are a complete unit I never asked if the lamps are available on their own, but you could ring

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Hi, anyone knows the best online shop to get Philips Mr16 7w? in good price they are 24€ in my city i think that bit expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Anyone know the best place to pick up 3 of these Philips 8W bulbs

http://www.philips.ie/c/-/8-w-38-w-b22-cap-warm-white-8718291682011/prd/

Thanks

I need to change a dimmer switch to a LED-compatible dimmer.

I was going to get a dimmer swicth online, eg.

http://www.lightrabbit.ie/dimmer-switch-2-gang-2-way-led-compatible-3-250w-brushed-metal.html

but the well known Dublin Electrical wholesaler where I'm getting the bulbs and GU10 fittings, have specced a dimmer switch AND 2 dimmer modules in their quote.

1 * 2G 2W 400W DIMMER FLAT SCREWED S/STEEL
    2 * ZERO CROSS DIMMER MODULE 400WATT

This would work out twice as expensive as the online dimmer switch.

Does the online dimmer switch everything I need?

Does anyone know what are the 2 zero cross dimmer modules, the wholesaler is recommending, for?

This switch will control 2 circuits but they are each only 1 way.
    (I'm not an electrician in case you haven't guessed)

if you have two circuits as in 2 separate sets of lights and currently the setup has 2 separate switches then the wholesaler is right you will need 2 dimmers in the switch

salmocab wrote: »
    if you have two circuits as in 2 separate sets of lights and currently the setup has 2 separate switches then the wholesaler is right you will need 2 dimmers in the switch

sorry just reread your post and clicked your link, the one online looks like the right one, what the wholesaler is quoting looks like the plate and the 2 dimmers that attach into separately. apologies

salmocab wrote: »
    sorry just reread your post and clicked your link, the one online looks like the right one, what the wholesaler is quoting looks like the plate and the 2 dimmers that attach into separately. apologies

I'm upgrading an existing 12V setup so is it possible that the wholesalers are letting me quoting me for the option of either a complete new dimmer or 2 new modules to fit into my existing dimmer plate?

TBH, you need to ask the wholesalers what they are quoting you for. It looks like a whole new arrangement with a new plate and two new dimmer modules as mentioned above.

Also I'd imagine the online one will be less expensive, grid and module accessories are expensive.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    TBH, you need to ask the wholesalers what they are quoting you for. It looks like a whole new arrangement with a new plate and two new dimmer modules as mentioned above.

Also I'd imagine the online one will be less expensive, grid and module accessories are expensive.

Yep, you're right, they were suggesting a whole new arrangement so I'll be getting the online one.

Advertisement