Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Hi. How would you go about changing 50 watt MR 16 to LED GU 10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hi. How would you go about changing 50 watt MR 16 to LED GU 10

Take out the transformers and MR16 fitting and wire the new GU10 holder directly into the mains. If they're on a dimmer switch and you want to continue being able to get them, then you'll have to get a dimmable LED, such as a Philips Master LED.

I'm not an electrician and I did a swap out like that a few months ago.
    Maybe some electricians would frown on such behaviour, but I know my limits and its very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Ikea bulbs are different fittings or at best not Common

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

LED bulbs burn out faster than makers claim

Anyone any thoughts on the following. I just had my first burn out on an exterior light, Its wired fine in a proper fitting but only lasted 1 year which i calculated to be just over 2000 hours. Philips Master LED 4W GU10
    Now the old bulb incandescent bulb i had in that was there donkeys years :confused:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/led-bulbs-burn-out-faster-than-makers-claim-256742.html

An investigation carried out by British consumer watchdog Which? found that many LED bulbs simply do not live up to manufacturers’ claims that they will shine for 25,000 and 50,000 hours.

In fact, the consumer body found that not only do many stop working before the end of their promised lifespan, some fail to even reach the soon-to-be-implemented EU minimum lifespan of 6,000 hours.

Along with its European partner organisations, Which? tested five samples each of 46 types of LED lightbulbs sold right across Europe. The bulbs were switched on for two hours and 45 minutes, then switched off for 15 minutes, in a continuous cycle until they burned out.

Five different bulbs stopped working before the 6,000-hour mark for the majority of samples tested.

Another five bulbs stopped working before the 10,000-hour mark for the majority of samples tested. This was despite claiming lifespans of at least 25,000 hours.

In total, 66 of the 230 samples tested failed before the 10,000-hour mark, though all claimed they would last at least 15,000 hours.

Researcher with Which? Matt Clear said it was clear from the study that many types of LED light bulbs do not stand up to “grand claims” made about their lifespan.

“One of the attractions of LED lightbulbs is that they’re supposed to last a long time. And so if you’re shelling out for these bulbs — typically more expensive than other types of light bulb — you’ll want to be sure that they’ll live up to those claims.

“But our tests show that not only do many LED light bulbs stop working before the end of their promised lifespan, some don’t even reach the soon-to-be-implemented EU minimum lifespan of 6,000 hours.”

Under an EU directive which came into force in Sept 2012, traditional incandescent bulbs were phased out to be replaced by halogen bulbs, which are 30% more energy-efficient, and the CFL long-life bulbs, which are 80% more energy-efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

ronan45 wrote: »
    LED bulbs burn out faster than makers claim

Anyone any thoughts on the following. I just had my first burn out on an exterior light, Its wired fine in a proper fitting but only lasted 1 year which i calculated to be just over 2000 hours. Philips Master LED 4W GU10

I think the Philips Master LEDs have either a 3 year or 5 year warranty, so if you still have the receipt you should be able to get your money back or a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

josip wrote: »
    I think the Philips Master LEDs have either a 3 year or 5 year warranty, so if you still have the receipt you should be able to get your money back or a replacement.

I was told they have a 5 year warranty when I bought them. Have 12 bulbs in kitchen since March 2013 and no issues so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jprboy wrote: »
    Have 12 bulbs in kitchen since March 2013 and no issues so far.

I should hope so, they are less than 1 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sorry guys if this is a bit of topic but here goes. I currently have approx 20 MR16 type down lighters with individual transformers fitted in largish kitchen area. To be honest is fed up with them because if it's not the bulb gone it's the transformer although they were originally installed 8 years ago , is it a big job to replace with two centre piece type lights or would I be better off upgrading to LEDs. Again sorry if wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Glebee wrote: »
    Sorry guys if this is a bit of topic but here goes. I currently have approx 20 MR16 type down lighters with individual transformers fitted in largish kitchen area. To be honest is fed up with them because if it's not the bulb gone it's the transformer although they were originally installed 8 years ago , is it a big job to replace with two centre piece type lights or would I be better off upgrading to LEDs. Again sorry if wrong thread.

changing to LED lamps would certainly easier there would be a good bit of work involved in patching up your ceiling if you changed over to two pendants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

salmocab wrote: »
    changing to LED lamps would certainly easier there would be a good bit of work involved in patching up your ceiling if you changed over to two pendants.

Cheers for that. Are the LEDs just a straight swap or is there more involved. Also if I went the route of centre pieces Would the ceiling need to be ripped for cabling though or could the existing cabling be reused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Glebee wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Are the LEDs just a straight swap or is there more involved. Also if I went the route of centre pieces Would the ceiling need to be ripped for cabling though or could the existing cabling be reused?

if the cabling can be brought to where you need it it'll be correctly rated but it might be a pain working out which is the loop abs which is the switch. I did it with landing lights but obviously I had easy access to the wiring.
    I also replaced most of my other spots with gu10 LEDs - bought the connectors online and kept the fitting. remove the existing connector and the transformer and wire up as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pipsdad

Pique wrote: »

at 1.4/1.7w I don't think they will set the world alight..:rolleyes:. but at the price, they might do as a night light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Thanks. What kind of wattage do you need as a replacement for 40-60w bulbs?

~ 4 to 5w for spots and up to 10w for globe bulbs imho

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pique wrote: »
    Thanks. What kind of wattage do you need as a replacement for 40-60w bulbs?

4w for gu10. 8,5W for ceiling rose, have an IKEA one in the front room and its perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

So I have 6 gu10 50w in my kitchen ceiling, I'm looking to swap to LED.
    I need the brightest ones possible, would those electricireland ones (7w) be ok?
    If not, what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've just seen these 5w 420lm http://www.lightmylife.com/Product/View/gu10vp4/GU10-LED-Bulb-5W-Spotlight-Wide-Beam-Angle--55W-Equivalent--420-Lumen.html

any opinions on these?

dobsdave wrote: »
    So I have 6 gu10 50w in my kitchen ceiling, I'm looking to swap to LED.
    I need the brightest ones possible, would those electricireland ones (7w) be ok?
    If not, what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've just seen these 5w 420lm http://www.lightmylife.com/Product/View/gu10vp4/GU10-LED-Bulb-5W-Spotlight-Wide-Beam-Angle--55W-Equivalent--420-Lumen.html

any opinions on these?
    I prefer single LED over cluster. Cluster LEDs use older technology

ted1 wrote: »

Are the older ones not a good buy then? sorry, new to this.
    The brightness of these is 420lm is that about the brightest I'll get for an LED?

These yokes are 400lm, bought 8 of them in warm white for kitchen/diner about Xmas time, they are as good as the halogens we had, and better than most of the LEDs we tried, they are good and bright, only downer is not dimmable or I'd got some for the lounge too.

• Advertisement

pipsdad wrote: »
    These yokes are 400lm, bought 8 of them in warm white for kitchen/diner about Xmas time, they are as good as the halogens we had, and better than most of the LEDs we tried, they are good and bright, only downer is not dimmable or I'd got some for the lounge too.

Thanks, just ordered 6.

dobsdave wrote: »
    Thanks, just ordered 6.

hope they work out as good for you :-)

pipsdad wrote: »
    hope they work out as good for you :-)

Just put one in, very happy.
    Much brighter than the standard one that was there.

They are good an bright alright, best I've had..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ted1 wrote: »

by single do you mean the globe bulbs.

Are the coloured ones true to colour or wishy washy

41cQNXmq88L._SY355_.jpg

danjo-xx wrote: »
    by single do you mean the globe bulbs.

Are the coloured ones true to colour or wishy washy

41cQNXmq88L._SY355_.jpg

No. I mean they have a single LED as oppose to lots of smaller ones. Google is your friend.

The colour comes from the led a mix of red green and blue. Not from the cover as in the one you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Is it possible to wire this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ROBUS-5M-LED-Flexistrip-in-Remote-Controllable-RGB-IP67-R5MRGBK-IP-/360459899226?pt=UK_Light_Fittings&hash=item53ed15915a into a Renault Trafic van? I want to light up the back of my van with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

!!!!!!!How much? If you just want a decent light in the van use a 12 volt LED tube which will give you plenty of light in a choice of white light. If you want fairy lights then just buy a reel of LED ribbon and connect into the 12v system. DO NOT BUY TRANSFORMERS AND DRIVERS. Use a fused circuit for safety. LED ribbons are very high wattage so a 12 volt tube is much better value and simple to fit if you know where to go for the fittings.
    Should cost about €50 tops. If you want remote control it will cost a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I have one sitting in the shed so would like to try use it. Is it possible to use it?

• Advertisement

Is it possible to wire this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ROBUS-5M-LED-Flexistrip-in-Remote-Controllable-RGB-IP67-R5MRGBK-IP-/360459899226?pt=UK_Light_Fittings&hash=item53ed15915a into a Renault Trafic van? I want to light up the back of my van with it.

that is Way Way Way over priced.

your van will be 12VDC. so it should be straight forward to to wire it on, plenty of places to take a feed from.

if there for outside get IP reated ones.

if you want to do a proper job, you could add a fuse for them. http://crimpsupply.com/add-a-fuse-mini-atm-fuse-tap.html?gclid=CL62jMGTybgCFeHm7AodVFYApQ

Advertisement