Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What headset do you guys use?

Options
  • 01-12-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Hi as its nearing christmas im thinking of treating myself to a new headset
    (Currently have a gio-teck tx1)
    Any reccomendations from you guys?

Max budget 75 euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i recently got a second-hand turtle beach x11 (mainly for use when she's asleep). it's very good. i've even started to use the mic on occasion. . .it only took 4 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Value for money = turtle beach x11's you can pick them up new on amazon for about 45 euro posted.
    they are a great headset but dont have surround sound. you'll have to go above ur budget to find a decent headset with surround sound.

The majority of the lads i play with use x11's like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

garv123 wrote: »
    Value for money = turtle beach x11's you can pick them up new on amazon for about 45 euro posted.
    they are a great headset but dont have surround sound. you'll have to go above ur budget to find a decent headset with surround sound.

The majority of the lads i play with use x11's like myself.

Anyone have the x12's?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

i have the Tritton AX180's which i find brilliant and would be in your price range too

Also seen new Tritton's (Detonator) in Gamestop yesterday,made specifically for xbox consoles...they look pretty good and the reviews are decent and might be a better option than the AX180's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

X11s are €50 in Smyths if you don't have an option to buy online. I picked them up for BLOPS and haven't looked back, initially I only needed them to keep the volume down but I find myself using them all the time now. Though I will admit I do now fancy upgrading to the Foxtrot. Tried them out in work and I was well impressed!

• Advertisement

niallon wrote: »
    X11s are €50 in Smyths if you don't have an option to buy online. I picked them up for BLOPS and haven't looked back, initially I only needed them to keep the volume down but I find myself using them all the time now. Though I will admit I do now fancy upgrading to the Foxtrot. Tried them out in work and I was well impressed!

Ahh 90 euro!
    Will look into the tritton ax 180 and the turtle beach x11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Anyone know anything about this one compared to the turtle beach?
    Its on sale in xtravision at the mo for 50 squid.

http://www.xtravision.ie/electronic/Wired-EX-05-Stereo-Headset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

My brother got me a set of these bad boys

TURTLE BEACH Ear Force X41 7.1 Headset

Honestly, I think that they are so class. Wireless headphones but you need a cable for the mic. Its funny you can hear stuff that I never noticed before, like the sound of the Armour on the tank creaking as you move. Kinda weird at first but yeah I'm really impressed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I think for your budget, you'd be hard pressed to beat the Turtle Beach X11's. I know a lot of people using them and they all swear by them.

If you feel like treating yourself, here's a link to a review I did on the Razer Chimaera's earlier in the year. If anything, I'm even more impressed by them now.

http://www.irlclan.net/main/blog/2011/05/31/razer-chimaera-5-1-headset/

TRITON AX 120 are 40 euro in argos . so will get them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Use the X11's myself and although they're not surround sound you still pick up on a lot more nuances in the sound of a game. Nothing like playing a game you know well for the first time with the earphones for being surprised at how much you're missing sound wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Seems like all the stock of X11s drying up, all I can see is a used pair on Amazon and everywhere else won't deliver or is out of stock.

Smyths have some but Carrickmines is sold out. Failing that Argos have 1 pair of X12s left, they did have 2 up until a moment ago ;)

x12's should be taking over at this point, although i couldn't tell what's different in them apart from they're black. i got my x11's on ebay, refurbed, ~£22 iirc, they're perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SonicTitan

I use the Turtle Beach PX21 which are amazing and they also work with both the Xbox and Playstation. €60 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭FizzyCola

The X12's seem to be the new X11's. The design looks the same except for the colour.

I have the X11's and they are brilliant. I know they arent surround sound but the sound is so much better than the tv speakers and you can hear other sounds too.

You can get a little thing that the headphones plug into to make them 7.1 surround sound. I plan on doing it to make the headset even better.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/audio-processors/ear-force-dss.aspx

It would appear that santa has left me some Tritton ax 180

Are we happy?

Ya very happy so far. Still dont know to to get game sound in the headphones with HDMI connected. I can get it with Scart cables but not HDMI, Do I need to buy composite cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

just bought Gioteck EX-05 Wired Headphone on amazon, should be with me before new year - they got good reviews, ill let you know how I get on with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i just got the Gioteck EX-05 as well

i was expecting them to be wired to controller-i did ask before i bought them

anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I ended up getting the giotech wireless as well and am very happy with sound quality and stuff. Generally get about 6 hours at least out of the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Ya very happy so far. Still dont know to to get game sound in the headphones with HDMI connected. I can get it with Scart cables but not HDMI, Do I need to buy composite cables?

AFAIK you need to use the audio adaptor that comes with the official xbox hdmi cable, but i think you can pick up an unofficial one on ebay for pittance

like so http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HDMI-HD-AV-CABLE-OPTICAL-RCA-AUDIO-ADAPTER-XBOX-360-/200604683010?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item2eb4f88b02

foxerv1 wrote: »

AFAIK you need to use the audio adaptor that comes with the official xbox hdmi cable, but i think you can pick up an unofficial one on ebay for pittance

like so http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HDMI-HD-AV-CABLE-OPTICAL-RCA-AUDIO-ADAPTER-XBOX-360-/200604683010?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item2eb4f88b02

So that is what it is for ? :/ Something similar came in the box for the headset. Got Component cable today in gamestop so I should be ok. Any problems I will past here

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Icaras wrote: »
    just bought Gioteck EX-05 Wired Headphone on amazon, should be with me before new year - they got good reviews, ill let you know how I get on with them.

Got these this morning and played 2 games of MW3. Very happy with them, I didn't set up as per the instructions as I am using a HDMI cable but just plugged them into the xbox slim and TV and they seem to be perfect.
    They are very light and seem very sturdy and with the adjustably sizes fit me and the gf (who has a smaller head than me thankfully) snugly.
    When using them can definitely tell where the shots are coming form and they did let me know where (roughly) a sentry gun was. Noticeably great sound for the choppers too so when an enemy one is around I roughly know where they are without having to look at the map. I also pick up the little touches better too like when running past bins in the London level I can hear the flies at the bins and footsteps in the hardhat level go from gravel to wood to concrete in the room.
    Very happy and at 30 pounds on amazon you cant really go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ive got hdmi and these wired phones

can I get audio off the basic x box lead?

or passthrough on lcd?

or do I need special xbox hdmi lead?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm also a bit confused about how headsets work with HDMI? The headset that comes with console and plugs into the controller isn't giving me any sound from the games? Do I need to have two headsets? 1 for the sound from the game coming from my LCD and another for the mic coming from the controller.... so confused :confused:

I'm also a bit confused about how headsets work with HDMI? The headset that comes with console and plugs into the controller isn't giving me any sound from the games? Do I need to have two headsets? 1 for the sound from the game coming from my LCD and another for the mic coming from the controller.... so confused :confused:

The official MS headset that comes with the console is purely for chat over Xbox Live. You will not get any game sounds through that headset, ever.

If you decide to use the MS headset to chat to other players over Xbox Live (Gold members only), you'll need to make sure the Xbox Live chat is only coming through your headset and not the TV speakers/or both. To turn this off, hit the big silver button on the middle of your controller and scroll to SETTINGS, PREFERENCES, VOICE.

If you want a headset that will also play game sounds as well as your XBL chat, then you'll have to invest in a special gaming headset. Depending on the quality, they range from about €40/50 up to €250/€300.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The official MS headset that comes with the console is purely for chat over Xbox Live. You will not get any game sounds through that headset, ever.

If you decide to use the MS headset to chat to other players over Xbox Live (Gold members only), you'll need to make sure the Xbox Live chat is only coming through your headset and not the TV speakers/or both. To turn this off, hit the big silver button on the middle of your controller and scroll to SETTINGS, PREFERENCES, VOICE.

If you want a headset that will also play game sounds as well as your XBL chat, then you'll have to invest in a special gaming headset. Depending on the quality, they range from about €40/50 up to €250/€300.

Ah I get ya, so I'd also need a hdmi adapter with the gaming headset?

Not necessarily. Most of the good ones will use a fibre optic cable so you can get 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.

I have HDMI connecting video and sound to LCD screens and cinema systems but also use the optical cables for surround sound headsets. This allows me to either play the sound out through the speaker system when watching movies but also means when I turn on the gaming headset, the sound will come through them too. Just means I don't have to start plugging cables in and out all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lads,

where could I pick up a RCA Adapter? Need it for my headset and using HDMI.

Advertisement