Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using PS3 blu ray drive without the PS3

Options
  • 01-12-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Howdy,

I have a YLOD PS3. I'm going to try a reflow and hopefully that'll work out but based on anything I've read it's not likely to be a long term fix. Assuming it's dies completely at some point in the not too distant future I was wondering if it's possible to use the blu ray drive (by getting some sort of case/drivers etc) outside the PS3. Anyone any experience of this - I'd like to get some value from the hardware if possible. Likewise the HDD - can that be reused by buying an external HDD case.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

walshki wrote: »
    Howdy,

I have a YLOD PS3. I'm going to try a reflow and hopefully that'll work out but based on anything I've read it's not likely to be a long term fix. Assuming it's dies completely at some point in the not too distant future I was wondering if it's possible to use the blu ray drive (by getting some sort of case/drivers etc) outside the PS3. Anyone any experience of this - I'd like to get some value from the hardware if possible. Likewise the HDD - can that be reused by buying an external HDD case.

Cheers

I would sell it as is, or have the RSX or Cell replaced/reballed

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Thanks for the reply justryan. I've read about the reballing and obviously that sounds preferable. Sorry for the noob question but anyone recommend someone who does the reballing? What does it cost typically? I'd like to get it back to life if I can.

Cheers.

Having read the sticky on repairs/mod offerings I don't see anyone offering this. If I'm breaking the forum rules apologies and feel free to lock. If someone does know of someone who does reballing for the PS3 I'd be grateful for a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

walshki wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply justryan. I've read about the reballing and obviously that sounds preferable. Sorry for the noob question but anyone recommend someone who does the reballing? What does it cost typically? I'd like to get it back to life if I can.

Cheers.

Having read the sticky on repairs/mod offerings I don't see anyone offering this. If I'm breaking the forum rules apologies and feel free to lock. If someone does know of someone who does reballing for the PS3 I'd be grateful for a PM.

I reball the Xbox 360 right now but give Bryan from Consolepros a shout he can reball the PS3

Advertisement