Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today FM selection of commentaries

• 01-12-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭

I have wondered has there been a week when the station has picked a Sat afternoon Premiership game, that is not on Setanta simultaneously?

Given most of these fans of the clubs featured will be watching at home, or venturing to the pub, they must be missing out on extra listeners by showing the same fixture, every weekend?

I don't have any fault with the coverage itself - solid show.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The phone in section is a major cringe fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

padd b1975 wrote: »

Cringe fest but the only national phone in show for football and because the majority of irish people who support english teams are man u or liverpool supporters they get alot of airtime but they do get in smaller clubs when people ring in about them. They could easily do another hour on football till 7pm

Its the same with matches they always have a top 4 or 6 team in the commentry game but then again who wants wigan vs bolton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Sometimes, but it was worth hearing the Leeds United fan - from Leeds - talking about Gary Speed, earlier.

All in all, I like the programme's main team, just that they could be more diverse in the clubs they commentate on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

But like others have said; How many listeners would Wigan vs Blackburn get? Less than any Chelsea/United/Arsenal/Liverpool match, I'd say.

DB21 wrote: »
    But like others have said; How many listeners would Wigan vs Blackburn get? Less than any Chelsea/United/Arsenal/Liverpool match, I'd say.

You are picking an extreme example, to support your argument.

Clubs like Everton, Newcastle, Aston Villa, all have decent support here, but won't feature unless they play against the usual axis.

I don't see the commercial logic in broadcasting a match where any United or Liverpool fan will try to catch on TV at home, or in their local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

+1. I was going to start a thread on the phone in alone

Where do they get the callers from? Guy on yesterday talking about the Euro 2012 group draw sounded like he'd been smoking crack.

Caller - We have a chance, sure we beat Italy in Bari
    Michael McMullen - Er no, we drew in Bari
    Caller - Well, yeah, but sure we nearly won at the Avivia
    Michael McMullen - Er no, that was Croke Park

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    +1. I was going to start a thread on the phone in alone

Where do they get the callers from? Guy on yesterday talking about the Euro 2012 group draw sounded like he'd been smoking crack.

Caller - We have a chance, sure we beat Italy in Bari
    Michael McMullen - Er no, we drew in Bari
    Caller - Well, yeah, but sure we nearly won at the Avivia
    Michael McMullen - Er no, that was Croke Park
    To be fair these phone in shows are a cranks charter no matter what station has one.
    There used be one on Newstalk (could still be on) it was even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

Sometimes, but it was worth hearing the Leeds United fan - from Leeds - talking about Gary Speed, earlier.

All in all, I like the programme's main team, just that they could be more diverse in the clubs they commentate on.

That was me,thanks,I just hope I didn't come across as a dope.Just wanted to try and make sense of how I was feeling......

Dub Ste wrote: »
    That was me,thanks,I just hope I didn't come across as a dope.Just wanted to try and make sense of how I was feeling......

No, you didn't. Your call was very good - emphasising the importance of Speed to that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

No, you didn't. Your call was very good - emphasising the importance of Speed to that team.

Thanks man:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

To be fair these phone in shows are a cranks charter no matter what station has one.
    There used be one on Newstalk (could still be on) it was even worse.

The one on Newstalk used to be on Sundays if I remember correctly. It's not on anymore AFAIK because they do the Super Sunday matches now, which takes them up to 6pm and they have that science show between 6-7pm now.

Personally I like the commentary selection. Granted, they could venture a little more to teams like AV, Everton and Spurs, but let's face it, the majority of the time it's going to be a more exciting match for neutrals if it involves one of the top 5-6 teams. A match been United and Wolves we'll say (Today's I believe) would draw in United fans, wolves fans, fans of other top teams(that aren't playing at the same time obvs) to see how United do, people who want to see United get beat, etc, etc.
    A match between Villa and Stoke for example, wouldn't draw in as many listeners imho.

As for the phone in, to say it's a cringe-fest is going too far imo. There are some good points raised on it from time to time. But like any phone in segment on radio, you're very exposed to the idiots, prankers or the ill-informed.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The one on Newstalk used to be on Sundays if I remember correctly. It's not on anymore AFAIK because they do the Super Sunday matches now, which takes them up to 6pm and they have that science show between 6-7pm now.

Personally I like the commentary selection. Granted, they could venture a little more to teams like AV, Everton and Spurs, but let's face it, the majority of the time it's going to be a more exciting match for neutrals if it involves one of the top 5-6 teams. A match been United and Wolves we'll say (Today's I believe) would draw in United fans, wolves fans, fans of other top teams(that aren't playing at the same time obvs) to see how United do, people who want to see United get beat, etc, etc.
    A match between Villa and Stoke for example, wouldn't draw in as many listeners imho.

As for the phone in, to say it's a cringe-fest is going too far imo. There are some good points raised on it from time to time. But like any phone in segment on radio, you're very exposed to the idiots, prankers or the ill-informed.
    Is it not the researchers job to filter out the muppets?
    For the most part it seems those loons get straight through to the national air waves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

For the most part it seems those loons get straight through to the national air waves.

See, I'd imagine not that many people would be calling in, seeing as as has been pointed out already, a lot of people will have been watching the match on TV, so you're not exactly gonna get A1 standard calls every call. I personally think the phone in is alright. A lot of the callers are grand, intelligent people. But you do get the odd nut case or just pure idiot on, which happens in every phone in on every radio station around the world. I can only imagine that the caller acts normal enough to the researchers and then turns a bit weird on air when actually talking to whatever pundit is sitting in with Michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I have often heard Michael McMullen say 'the phone lines are open now, if you ring in straight away you are guaranteed to get on air'

I always thought that made them sound desperate for callers - if they have to put everyone on air regardless of what they say, it's no wonder a few oddballs rang in.

Skid wrote: »
    I have often heard Michael McMullen say 'the phone lines are open now, if you ring in straight away you are guaranteed to get on air'

I always thought that made them sound desperate for callers - if they have to put everyone on air regardless of what they say, it's no wonder a few oddballs rang in.
    100% agree with this.
    The slot should be cut back to half an hour with just a handful at most of carefully selected callers allowed on air.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    See, I'd imagine not that many people would be calling in, seeing as as has been pointed out already, a lot of people will have been watching the match on TV, so you're not exactly gonna get A1 standard calls every call. I personally think the phone in is alright. A lot of the callers are grand, intelligent people. But you do get the odd nut case or just pure idiot on, which happens in every phone in on every radio station around the world. I can only imagine that the caller acts normal enough to the researchers and then turns a bit weird on air when actually talking to whatever pundit is sitting in with Michael.
    If your theory is true and what Skid has posted seems to back up your point about the shortage of callers, are phone in football discussions now irrelevant in the era of internet boards, twitter, etc?

Advertisement