Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted emails from students

Options
  • 01-12-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I'm not even talking about the postgrad "I'll pay you €3 to fill out a form" emails.

I'm talking about ones like this:

You're all welcome to have a go at me for clogging up your inboxes... I just want to make one final push for the Movember Last Shave in Scholars tonight. Please make the effort to come and support the lads that have done all the hard fundraising work this month. At least half of us have gotten away with no Movember responsibilities so the least we can do at this point is make an appearance to congratulate a job well done and have a good laugh at those who will inevitably spend the evening with toilet paper stuck to their faces. Looking forward to seeing everyone at 9!

Regards,
    C******e

How do I report this person? She has stolen my email address along with many others for unsolicited mail.

She also left everyone's email visible so if I wanted, I could now start emailing everyone on it with inane drivel such as the above example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

mud wrote: »
    How do I report this person?

Contact ITD

Spam them back for good measure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

How do I report this person? She has stolen my email address along with many others for unsolicited mail.

No one has stolen your e-mail address :eek:
    Anyone can send an e-mail to any student/lecturer/staff member thats in the college. When you're sending an e-mail thru the studentmail outlook, you click "contacts" and it gives you a list of all UL associated mail addresses.

Now stop spamming Boards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

She also left everyone's email visible so if I wanted, I could now start emailing everyone on it with inane drivel such as the above example.

Everyone's studentmail account is visible..... top right, click "find someone" type in a name, you have their student number and email address. Want to stalk someone? Get their ID, then get their timetable using that ID and follow them around. She hasn't "stolen your email".

Be thankful the spam is at least UL related, I've been getting spam from a company called Safe Com or some sh*te. Just delete it and move on.... seriously, talk about an over reaction.... if you see an email from a student you don't know just delete it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Speaking of unwanted emails, did anyone buy those tickets to go see Game in the Olympia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Everyone's studentmail account is visible..... top right, click "find someone" type in a name, you have their student number and email address. Want to stalk someone? Get their ID, then get their timetable using that ID and follow them around. She hasn't "stolen your email".

Be thankful the spam is at least UL related, I've been getting spam from a company called Safe Com or some sh*te. Just delete it and move on.... seriously, talk about an over reaction.... if you see an email from a student you don't know just delete it.....

Thanks for that oh spiritual and zen-type person. Look, there is a reason why only ITD approved accounts can email all students, and that is to avoid this ****e.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that oh spiritual and zen-type person.

No problem. :)

Why don't I get any of these emails? [/rejected]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks for that oh spiritual and zen-type person. Look, there is a reason why only ITD approved accounts can email all students, and that is to avoid this ****e.

Hehe, love how spirituality and zen labels are given to fact ;)

Can I ask OP, why the huffing and puffing? I mean, they're only emails sent by other students. The only way they can inconvenience you is by the fact you have to open them to get rid of that annoying little (1) beside the inbox.

In fact, you can't even call them spam, they're relevant to some people and the emails are the only way I know stuff's happening in the uni...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

sup_dude wrote: »
    In fact, you can't even call them spam, they're relevant to some people and the emails are the only way I know stuff's happening in the uni...

I'm not sure what you define as spam, but what the OP described was spam: Unsolicited email sent to numerous recipients

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Polar Ice wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you define as spam, but what the OP described was spam: Unsolicited email sent to numerous recipients

Spam tends to be irrelevant advertising. The email he describe was informative reminder of events that may or may not have affected him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Hehe, love how spirituality and zen labels are given to fact ;)

Can I ask OP, why the huffing and puffing? I mean, they're only emails sent by other students. The only way they can inconvenience you is by the fact you have to open them to get rid of that annoying little (1) beside the inbox.

I'm not "huffing and puffing" I asked how to report this person for spam (yes, it's spam) got my answer and have reported it.
    Spam tends to be irrelevant advertising. The email he describe was informative reminder of events that may or may not have affected him.

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I'm slightly scared now time to close the curtains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

...I'm not the only one who looked up a few people's timetables for a laugh, right? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

That's a bit creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Aren't microsoft providing the email access or something now?

Either way if you want to contact anyone on campus,

XXXXXXX@studentmail.ul.ie (for people starting college before 2010 (example 08765432@studentmail.ul.ie))

YYYYYYYY@studentmail.ul.ie (for people starting college on or after 2010 (example 11123456@studentmail.ul.ie))

I suppose you could contact ITD but everyone gets loads of spam from randomers. Just be happy they stopped with the regular updates of people finding/losing usb keys on campus (i.e 1 usb key gone missing in library/1 usb key found in the SU).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

reunion wrote: »
    Either way if you want to contact anyone on campus,

XXXXXXX@studentmail.ul.ie (for people starting college before 2010 (example 09876543@studentmail.ul.ie))

YYYYYYYY@studentmail.ul.ie(for people starting college on or after 2010 (example 11123456@studentmail.ul.ie))

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those email addresses in bold exactly the same?

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those email addresses in bold exactly the same?

students before 2009 had 7 digits in their ID number but people on or after 2009 have 8 digits.

So 08765432@studentmail.ul.ie wouldn't work but 0876543@studentmail.ul.ie would work.

(not my ID number and I apologise in advance if someone gets a load of spam from it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bken1991

reunion wrote: »
    students before 2010 had 7 digits in their ID number but people on or after 2010 have 8 digits.

So 09876543@studentmail.ul.ie wouldn't work but 0987654@studentmail.ul.ie would work.

(not my ID number and I apologise in advance if someone gets a load of spam from it...)

anyone i know who started in 2009 has 8 digits in their student ID, same for 2010 and 2011

eg
    09XXXXXX
    10XXXXXX
    11XXXXXX

maybe what you said could be true for 2008

bken1991 wrote: »
    anyone i know who started in 2009 has 8 digits in their student ID, same for 2010 and 2011

eg
    09XXXXXX
    10XXXXXX
    11XXXXXX

maybe what you said could be true for 2008

Checked it there on outlook. You're right changing my posts

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Cydoniac wrote: »
    ...I'm not the only one who looked up a few people's timetables for a laugh, right? :confused:

I just did there, now I feel like such a creep :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I once got 20 euro from one of those email research group things. No complaints here!

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    I'm slightly scared now time to close the curtains

It's tooo laaateeee...... muahahahahahahah :pac:
    Cydoniac wrote: »

Indeed you're not! I love freaking out firsties with that. :)
    yuppy700 wrote: »
    That's a bit creepy

It's a lot creepy. But fun nonetheless. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Pretty sure I haven't posted mine but Semester over anyway so wouldn't matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AlwaysRight

The email in question has many personal email addresses in it. So I assume its not just search and send kind of thing. And it is not an ITD mailing list.

The likelihood is that you signed up for something somewhere (possibly to get something for free!) and now you are being emailed by that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

I'm tired of getting those 'online study invitations' myself, doesn't matter if it's from a student or lecturer, to me they're all the same - spam! I remember those 'great rates at the arena' emails used to annoy me last year, too...

We shouldn't really complain about the online survey ones.... who knows when we' might need to send one just like it as part of a phD or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

I do like having the chance to win something though :p

Advertisement