Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IX resit essays - applying for an extension

Options
  • 01-12-2011 7:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wondering if you think I'd be eligible for a deadline extension. I have a 1 year old son who lives in a different county and I work full-time, and in the last couple of weeks my job was hectic. Do you think the history department would grant me an extra few days? I was going to make my way over there tomorrow on my lunch-break (not easy in itself due to the fact they're closed at lunch!)....or am I wasting my time and I should just take the hit?
    This is final year stuff, by the way, and I have no choice but to work as I have another mouth to feed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Here's the UCD policy on extenuating circumstances: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_ext_circum_gn.pdf

By the sounds of it, its unlikely. But worth talking to your lecturer about, as they might bend the rules for you. Only way to know is to ask, though.

If you want to apply for it you fill out this form: www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/late%20sub_frm.doc

But based on what they consider extenuating circumstances, that route probably won't work. Best bet is to go direct to your lecturer and see of they can pull some strings.

Edit: Actually, reading that closer, if you are doing your course part-time you may be eligible. Says to contact your course programme/school if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I imagine you are looking for an extension, not an IX grade. The school/lecturer should be the first people to approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

From my experience the History Department seem to be fair enough when it comes to extending deadlines. You should probably talk to the lecturer whose module it is first, and if he/she doesn't have the authority to grant you one (it depends on the type of deadline it is) then you'll have to talk to Kate Breslin, who is lovely. :) She generally seems to do it on a case by case basis so just explain your situation genuinely to her.
    If you can't get over there you could always try calling them, not sure what the number is but it will be on the website!

Advertisement