Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 2011 Rap Albums

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

My list isn't really anything striking but hey:
    Tyler the Creator- Goblin.
    Royce Da 5'9- Success Is Certain. I don't think this album got as much attention as it deserved tbh.
    Mac Miller- Blue Slide Park. Didn't expect it to go #1 but fair play, Mac is only 19 and really decent, having released his mixtape Thank you, Thank you, Thank you this year too.
    Drake- Take Care. Took me a few listens but I love it, can't wait for his concert.
    Yelawolf- Radioactive. Probably my overall favorite this year, so many different sounds and great features.
    The Roots- Undun. Mac Miller actually directed me to this album and I don't regret anything!
    Crooked I- In none we trust. Haven't really listened to most of it but it has potential.
    Bad Meets Evil- Hell The Sequel. Brilliant songs on this I still love it as much as I did when it came out.
    Tech N9ne- All 6's and 7's & Welcome To Strangeland. There are both great but I think I prefer 6's and 7's

Forgot Professor Green At Your Inconvenience. Not much seem to like him around here but personally I love him, flow lyrics and all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

2 late additions for me:

Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
    The Roots - undun

Picked both of them up yesterday and they are both excellent. I love the production on Shabazz Palaces and Ish/Butterfly is brilliant as usual on everything he touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    2 late additions for me:

The two ep's he released over the last year or so are worth getting too. Production is quality a bit like some of jneiro jarel's stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

2 late additions for me:

The Roots - undun

Picked both of them up yesterday and they are both excellent. I love the production on Shabazz Palaces and Ish/Butterfly is brilliant as usual on everything he touches.

What did you make of No Kings?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What did you make of No Kings?

Love it, the new sound is excellent. I've been nerding it up a bit and when listening trying to pick out the bits that each producer contributed to the track. It's kinda taking my focus off the lyrics, so I need to pay more attention there.
    But there are some amazing songs on the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

The Roots album is excellent and up there with the best of the year, not sure what the aim or the point of the last 3 musical tracks were tho?? Still haven't got my hands on the No Kings album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Love it, the new sound is excellent. I've been nerding it up a bit and when listening trying to pick out the bits that each producer contributed to the track. It's kinda taking my focus off the lyrics, so I need to pay more attention there.
    But there are some amazing songs on the album.

Aye it takes a while to really get into the lyrics!

The last 2 verses on the closer Fresh New Trash from Dessa and Mike are probably the best so far for me.
    First 4 tracks are the best for me so far.

Its here to listen to...

http://doomtree.bandcamp.com/releases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I am liking Lupe Lasers so far, I know most people did not like it and Lupe ended up not liking it really but its a good album as much as I have heard so far.

The beats and the choruses are shambolic though, unless you are a j cole or a drake fan of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

tyler - goblin
    asap rocky - liveloveasap
    drake - take care
    lil wayne - sorry for the wait
    gucci mane and waka flocka - ferrari boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

A V A wrote: »
    drake - take care
    lil wayne - sorry for the wait
    gucci mane and waka flocka - ferrari boys

I'm sorry but these three shouldn't be anywhere near this thread. When you have people like Elzhi, Curren$y, Blu, The Roots and Childish Gambino putting out the albums that they have then you can't say that any of them guys are of the same quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It's opinion based man, I agree with you though.

god yea i know man , buts its my opinion and my personal taste thats all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

If I was going to choose a Gucci tape I'd say Writings On The Wall 2 is much better than Ferrari Boyz.

I'm just going to say Danny Brown - XXX is album of the year. I'm too hungover to go listing 20 of them.

but ferrari boys is waka flocka and gucci and its an album not a mixtape even tho they are considered the same thing:rolleyes::cool:

wrting on the wall 2 is good tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Kendrick Lamar "Section 80"

Very good album. I actually got it a while ago and listened to it very briefly and didn't like it but one day i just said i will listen to it. And sure enough i was like this actually very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

cant believe no one has mentioned daily bread, bangin album..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Aye, so as the title says what's been the highlights of 2011 so far for all of ye?:)

Mu number 1 was Astronautalis - This Is Our Science.:)

Others that rocked for me were in no order.
    Sims "Bad Time Zoo"
    Blu "Nu York",
    EMINEM and Royce "Bad Meets Evil",
    Blueprint "adventures in counter culture".
    Doomtree, " No Kings"
    Kendrick Lamar "Section 80"

Still haven't listened to The Roots despite linking it in another thread:o
    So over to ye.:)

May fav;s where

The Martyr By immortal Technique (he's an absolute legend)
    Cats and Dogs by Evidence
    Monumental by Pete rock and Smif n Wessun
    Violence begets Violence by JMT ( at first I thought this would flop considering stoupe wasn't involved , but its real good )

Did not realize JMT released a new album, gutted that Stoupe is gone off elsewhere.

Did not realize JMT released a new album, gutted that Stoupe is gone off elsewhere.

yeah Violence begets Violence was relseased in October 2011

was listening to an interview recently on conspriacyworldwide radio with JMT , and basically stuope simply was not interested in working with them ,
    jus Allah was commmenting that if you ask stoupe to come with a beat , it could take him 6 months to respond ,

I think the guy on the album (c-lance I think ) was producing a tonne of beats on a weekly basis for them , hence the reason he was used ,
    albums pretty good ,

looking forward to the new AOTP album due out this year

I think that Stoupe's concentrating more on his solo stuff rather than JMT.

His album from last year or the the year before is supposed to be ace. I still have to listen to it.

• Advertisement

I think that Stoupe's concentrating more on his solo stuff rather than JMT.

His album from last year or the the year before is supposed to be ace. I still have to listen to it.

I must check that album out indeed

I must give it a go, his beats were a very big reason I liked JMT.

Advertisement