Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With My History Project Next Year

• 01-12-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I'm in 5th year now and am doing History.
    Our class has had a few talks about the project that we must do but I'm not really sure about what to do mine about.
    My cousin did his a few years ago on Christy Ring and some in my class now are talking about doing the likes of the Hunger Strikers etc.
    To be honest, I find the Irish part of the history course boring and prefer doing the parts about Hitler and Stalin etc. I don't know why. I seem to find the Irish part more boring.
    I would like to do the project on something based around maybe Nazi Germany if I could, but I don't have a good idea about what I should do. I'd like to know if any of you have any good ideas about anyone I could base the project on around the Nazi's maybe. If there was a lower ranked Nazi maybe, who was interesting. Because I am interested in finding out some of the tests etc. that the Nazi's did, for example with twin's etc.

If I am not able to find anyone from Germany, then I have looked into doing Kevin Barry a small bit (By a small bit, I mean I looked on Wikipedia).
    But there wasn't much written about him, I'd just like to know is there any other sources where I could get more info or Barry.

Thanks for taking the time to read my 2 paragraphs, and I would appreciate any advice etc. people would have on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Hi,
    If you're looking to do something on Nazi Germany I think Albert Speer could be quite interesting. There is a very good amount of material available on him, including his autobiography, and he was the highest ranking Nazi to escape the death penalty. He is a very interesting character to look into.

Thats my two cents anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the Nazi experiments would be a good one my friend is doing hers on Cyprus so you can do anything you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

would you consider doing something on a local history topic. The most popular topics outside of Irish national history are Germany, Italy, Russia topics but you'll interest a corrector much more if you can find something local to area and underreported. Local newspapers and historians will be great sources to utilize.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well you can't do something that's on the course, obviously, but from what you're saying Mengele would be an obvious choice.

I almost did my project on him, I think it would be pretty interesting.

Definitely do something you're interested in, it will come across in your project.

Other people that I did consider for mine- Eichmann, Heydrich, Hoess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Local topics using original sources are what the Chief Examiner likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Sort of seperate question, but me and my sister are both in 6th year doing history and shes done her evaluation of sources but I havent yet. Shes saying you have to put in footnotes but I've never heard anything about these, and no one else I know who's finished theirs so far has either. Do you need to footnote things, and if so, how important is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Sort of seperate question, but me and my sister are both in 6th year doing history and shes done her evaluation of sources but I havent yet. Shes saying you have to put in footnotes but I've never heard anything about these, and no one else I know who's finished theirs so far has either. Do you need to footnote things, and if so, how important is it?

As far as I remember, you only have to footnote quotes.... but check examinations.ie, I'm almost sure the full guidelines for the project are there.

I think it's advised to include a couple of quotes and to footnote them.

Advertisement