Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of getting shed walls shuttered.

• 01-12-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

HI everyone.

wondering what the going rate for 8inc concrete walls 6 ft high no steel.

got a price of 100euro a metre plus vat.

this included labour shutters and concrete complete job.

thaught it was bit dear.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

€80

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

€80

hi charlie.

is that what u paid or do you do shuttering work:)

Neither! I do a bitta pricing for lads

Neither! I do a bitta pricing for lads

thats a fair bit better price then i got do ya no anyone in sligo area doing that work for that kind of money.

was that 80 plus vat.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

2 cubic metres would put in a 5.5 metre wall (18 ft) at the measurments you gave so at 100 hundred a metre plus vat the 5.5 metre wall works out at 550 + vat sounds steep to me

• Advertisement

charityboy wrote: »
    2 cubic metres would put in a 5.5 metre wall (18 ft) at the measurments you gave so at 100 hundred a metre plus vat the 5.5 metre wall works out at 550 + vat sounds steep to me

ya seems steep considering the concrete can be bought for 64 euro plus the vat a cubic metre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

cattle man wrote: »
    HI everyone.

750euro (no conc inclu) for 64ft by 8ft silage wall (one side sloping). Did foundation and steel work ourselfs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I would only use concrete panels nowadays in a shed. cheaper than above prices aswell and much stronger and shed can easily be altered

thats a fair bit better price then i got do ya no anyone in sligo area doing that work for that kind of money.

was that 80 plus vat.

thanks.

€80 plus VAT
    I don't know anyone your side, i'm based in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

HI everyone.

What are you going to use the shed for? I would never build mass concrete walls for a shed unless they are silage walls. I always use blocks but then that's easy for me to say as I can build them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What are you going to use the shed for? I would never build mass concrete walls for a shed unless they are silage walls. I always use blocks but then that's easy for me to say as I can build them myself.

Too many cases of block walls collapsing and killing cattle in these parts. I know a lad that lost 3 cows. He built the walls himself. The wind took them down like lego. Would never put up a block wall on a cattle shed because of this. Also, I find that block and plastered walls are hard to powerwash - the plaster seems to soak any dung and you have to work on it to powerwash it off - the turbo nozzel on the washer will take the plaster off if you're not careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

reilig wrote: »
    Also, I find that block and plastered walls are hard to powerwash - the plaster seems to soak any dung and you have to work on it to powerwash it off - the turbo nozzel on the washer will take the plaster off if you're not careful.

Powerwashing ****e is a disaster if its not soaked for a good while (10 days or so) before hand. Get a simple garden hose and soak the area you are going washing once a day before you start. Muck comes off way easier and it's easier on the plaster too!!

We always build with mass conc but then again we have a shot of small shutters so find it quicker than blocks and plaster;). Plus u cant really load stuff off a block wall unless u've a good operator on a loader. End up wit just a crack in it or blow it out of it! I'd perfer a 5ft mass than a 7ft block!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

was that 80 plus vat.

thanks.

I know a good few guys in the Sligo area doing this kind of work,not sure how much but PM me if you would like contact numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

We always build with mass conc but then again we have a shot of small shutters so find it quicker than blocks and plaster;). Plus u cant really load stuff off a block wall unless u've a good operator on a loader. End up wit just a crack in it or blow it out of it! I'd perfer a 5ft mass than a 7ft block!
    I wouldn't agree with you. I built plenty block walls around the farm. I had to knock a wall a few years ago I failed to knock it with the sledge and even with a loader I had to knock it with a compressor and kango hammer even then it took time. The secret is to use plenty cement in the mortar mix and also use plasticiser. Use the same mix for plastering the wall 2 coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

I wouldn't agree with you. I built plenty block walls around the farm. I had to knock a wall a few years ago I failed to knock it with the sledge and even with a loader I had to knock it with a compressor and kango hammer even then it took time. The secret is to use plenty cement in the mortar mix and also use plasticiser. Use the same mix for plastering the wall 2 coats.

Dead right, fellas usually haven't enough cement in the mix, or else they mix too much at a time and keep wetting the mix. If you're building a wall and are worried about a it's stability, make your mix at 1:3

If you want a wall to load against, put 4" blocks on the flat and use the correct bond for strength and good mortar. You'll only need the blocks on the flat for the first 3 foot or so.

I hear what ur sayin but i think mass conc is safer. We used to a contractor round here and the boss (in his 50s at the time) drivin and i'd swear he would NEVER looked behind him. Knocked one block wall bent a gate....then we started fillin the pits from the field (fillin pit from behind) and he still managed to bak over the only trough in the field:pac:

I think that mass conc also gives greater strenght to a shed than block walls against storms and the lik but a shed shud be able to handle these anyway! One man meat is another mans posion:D

Advertisement