Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chatroom logic

Options
  • 01-12-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is there a whole different etiquette when it comes to chatrooms, as compared to real life?

Comments I've often seen are 'I'd never speak like this in real life', I'd be a social outcast if I was like this all the time' etc, yet the people I enjoy talking to (as in those who are nice and polite, regardless whether they're in a chatroom or a sitting room) are constantly kicked, banned and blocked from the active groups.

It seems to me that to get on in a chatroom, you have to be as sarcastic, pessimistic and 4chan-loving as possible.

Is this just my personal experience, or is it just a fact of (virtual) life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Fbjm wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is there a whole different etiquette when it comes to chatrooms, as compared to real life?

Comments I've often seen are 'I'd never speak like this in real life', I'd be a social outcast if I was like this all the time' etc, yet the people I enjoy talking to (as in those who are nice and polite, regardless whether they're in a chatroom or a sitting room) are constantly kicked, banned and blocked from the active groups.

It seems to me that to get on in a chatroom, you have to be as sarcastic, pessimistic and 4chan-loving as possible.

correct

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ASL?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'll need to go back in time to answer that question

• Registered Users Posts: 30,232 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It's just you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

depends on what type of community it is.

if you're going to video games chatrooms then probably, if you're going to knitting chatrooms ,probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

Fbjm wrote: »

i have only ventured into chatrooms since about 2007,i found myself infracted etc and was left scratching my head as to why.
    one day when i was clearing out an attic i found a book that had come with Windows NT by Microsoft about Internet etiquette,twas then i discovered that typing in HIGHER case was considered shouting and all the other things that are considered 'wrong' on the net.
    it did not explain who decided the rules though.:confused:

Might it be that many people put on a front in real life but their true nature they keep under an anonymous user name?

i find boards moderating a tad harsh at times but i was on an American political website that was unmoderated and to say the least it was not a pretty sight.
    Spunge wrote: »
    depends on what type of community it is.
    if you're going to knitting chatrooms ,probably not.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

why don't we find out ?

see me in chatroullette in say 10 minutes ??

I'll be the one doing the helicopter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Chat rooms eh?

A rose for all the fine ladies.
    @-->----
    Now PM me your pantie colours!

That's what I remember from about 1999. Are they still populated by dickheads like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Oh I like that Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Oh I like that Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat.

I cast lvl 3 eroticism and lvl 8 cock of the infinite.

Baby?

Epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Chat rooms eh?

A rose for all the fine ladies.
    @-->----
    Now PM me your pantie colours!

That's what I remember from about 1999. Are they still populated by dickheads like that?

I don't mean omegle and other random ones, I mean the ones that take commitment and form into a sort of virtual community :P The one I'm on about, I've been regularly active in since 2009 :o Like boards but instant :D

Advertisement