Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weights for Gillnet

Options
  • 01-12-2011 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    I'm looking for some information regarding encircling gillnets. (I'm doing a project on the various types of gillnets.)

I've found general info online (http://www.fao.org/fishery/geartype/221/en) but I have a specific question: Do encircling gillnets require the use of weights on the bottom line?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

They would have to have weights at the bottom (sinkers) and floats on the top line.
    Otherwise they would end up in a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 flyingplanes

Brilliant! Thanks a million slowburner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Any Gillnet I'v seen had either a weighted sole rope and a float rope or floats attached. A gillnet fishing with a float rope (As opposed to floats) can fish away and be almost invisible to the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

I have fished a gillnet for cod and pollack with weights(chain links!) attached every 3 fathoms with 18inches of twine.This kept the net off the bottom away from crabs!

Advertisement