Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your EDC KNIFE?

• 01-12-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

What knife do you carry day to day if any ? Im also looking for ideas as im thinking of changing mine
    My EDC is either a Victorinox Hiker or Rescue tool depending what im doing or where im going

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

leatherman charge tti horizontal in a beltsheath

PC178562.png

old type vic solider if i'm dressed up

victorinox-soldier-79.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

santa is bringin me a leatherman so that'll be mine:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Its something I never thought of carrying was a multi tool.. The more I think about it the more I like it

The charge tti is a class piece of kit
    I have mine 4 years it has a 154cm steel main blade but the current one has S30v in it
    The titanium scales are class and it's single hand open and close for both blades and the pliers

Tigger wrote: »
    The charge tti is a class piece of kit
    I have mine 4 years it has a 154cm steel main blade but the current one has S30v in it
    The titanium scales are class and it's single hand open and close for both blades and the pliers
    Nice Ive a Gerber flik , Victorinox, Sog and leatherman Skelitool but never think of carrying one day to day ( note to self START )

• Advertisement

I buy seletools for presents for my mates how do you find yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Columbia river CRKT southpaw model,and a Gerber multiplier.
    Occasionaly a Swiss Army [hunter] model.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

hey Grizzly45
    nice choices
    i have ideas of trying to edc the Rao but it'll be in my go-bag if its not on my belt

Tigger wrote: »
    I buy seletools for presents for my mates how do you find yours?
    I love it I use it more than the others around the house the blade is great it sits nice in the hand and not too heavy either. The screw driver is very handy for nearly all the little odd jobs around the house too

The Victorinox one Ive had years thats in my Airsoft bag mainly because it was the first to hand when setting out my kit . Its a great tool the only fault I find with it is its heavy

Im not too keen on the Gerber flik as the pliers head is a bit rattly and the screw drivers are crap unless your changing a plug or the likes of that

The Sog is a nice tool but you have to open it lift the flap then take out the knife ....ect and the lock release is right where you would put your thumb so you keep unlocking the tool that your using

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Columbia river CRKT southpaw model,and a Gerber multiplier.
    Occasionaly a Swiss Army [hunter] model.
    How do you find the CRKT southpaw ?

• Advertisement

Great! It's a little bit of practise to get it to operate one handed[About two hours of intense messing and practise].:) But it rides very comfortably in my pocket ,even with my wallet on top of it.
    You can set the main screw so that it will open with some practise one handed as fast as a flick knife,and is still 100% legal.
    [TBH one of the most malinged and unfairly treated knife designs that has long grown up and is a vaiable design,all because of a few stupid movies:mad:.]
    They could do with sending a micro allen key with it,as it can be stripped for cleaning no trouble.Could have gone one size bigger too,as it is somwhat small for my hand.

Btw the RAO...Its a massive bit of kit TBH.Unless you have a sheath knife EDC,Its way too big folded down to be put in your pocket,its a belt carry blade,and too expensive IMO for what it s.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Great! It's a little bit of practise to get it to operate one handed[About two hours of intense messing and practise].:) But it rides very comfortably in my pocket ,even with my wallet on top of it.
    You can set the main screw so that it will open with some practise one handed as fast as a flick knife,and is still 100% legal.
    [TBH one of the most malinged and unfairly treated knife designs that has long grown up and is a vaiable design,all because of a few stupid movies:mad:.]
    They could do with sending a micro allen key with it,as it can be stripped for cleaning no trouble.Could have gone one size bigger too,as it is somwhat small for my hand.
    Must have a closer look at the larger one myself sounds like a nice knife cheers

Btw the RAO...Its a massive bit of kit TBH.Unless you have a sheath knife EDC,Its way too big folded down to be put in your pocket,its a belt carry blade,and too expensive IMO for what it s.

don't blame me you made me buy it :D

i got it for a decent price and we all need a little itallian excess in our lives

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Leatherman Skeletool CX. Very recent present to myself, its all you guys fault!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Victorinox Spartan, nice and sheeple friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gerber Ripstop (series 1 with the non-serrated blade) lives in my pocket daily these days. Handy little thing, which seems to spend most of its working time opening boxes and mail...

gerber-ripstop-i-folding-knife-3192-p.jpg

And I've also carried a Victorinox of one kind or another for the last two decades or so. An old friend gave me a Climber model which then followed me all over europe for about fifteen years until a helpful Group4 guard at the Da Vinci exhibit in Dublin castle a few years ago gave it away to someone else (you weren't allowed bring knives into the exhibit; they took them going in and gave them back coming out and of course, didn't tag them, so bye-bye one of my only prized possessions from that time and hello on major blue funk). The same friend gave me a Ranger model afterwards and I've carried it ever since, though the leather pouch I picked up for it in Athens has torn at the bottom and needs a bit of repair work (guess what I'm actually doing at the moment? :D ).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I use a Victorinox Skipper. Very handy for cutting rope and opening shackles. Useful to have a locking blade too. Only downside is that it doesn't float :D

victorinox-skipper-knife.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a leatherman sidekick......... I used to carry a 2" blade around until someone at work complained. Its funny as the leatherman has nearly a 3" blade but no complaints carrying that around:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

krissovo wrote: »
    I have a leatherman sidekick......... I used to carry a 2" blade around until someone at work complained. Its funny as the leatherman has nearly a 3" blade but no complaints carrying that around:confused:

had a similar problem, used to have a nice victoriox that went every where with me years ago but got too many complaints. The new leatherman will be everywhere i go. Its mad how often you will actually use a multi tool once you have it

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

opinel n7, not too bulky for a pocket and with a homemade lanyard that opens to 6ft of braided nylon. Carry it as much for the string as the knife. Must get a good leatherman though...
    Dont know about it as a survival knife at all though, cold hands don't work well with it.

• Advertisement

One of my Victorinox's is always in my pocket (I have several).

Have carried a penknife on my person since I was about twelve (if not younger), except probably in airports.

Feel naked without one on me, they're useful in about a million ways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

I think we have all had that problem, I work in dunnes and management generally have sh*t attack whenever I use my leatherman wave, or anything other then a crapppy €2 "saftey" knife.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I use a Victorinox Skipper. Very handy for cutting rope and opening shackles. Useful to have a locking blade too. Only downside is that it doesn't float :D

victorinox-skipper-knife.jpg
    I bought one of them about 5 years ago my Dad "borrowed" it the same day..........Never to be returned :rolleyes::D

had a similar problem, used to have a nice victoriox that went every where with me years ago but got too many complaints. The new leatherman will be everywhere i go. Its mad how often you will actually use a multi tool once you have it
    kieranfitz wrote: »
    I think we have all had that problem, I work in dunnes and management generally have sh*t attack whenever I use my leatherman wave, or anything other then a crapppy €2 "saftey" knife.
    I used to carry my Gerber Gator until my boss nearly had a heart attack when he seen it

It annoys me how people are sh1t scared when they even see you using a small Victorinox, but you can have 10 of those €2 shop stanley knives in each hand and they dont bat an eye lid If they had any cop on at all they would see the €2 knives are more dangerous to the user and people around as they can snap a blade so easy and it flys I refuse to use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

I carry the Victorinox Cybertool 34 every day and feel undressed without it.

cybertool1.jpg

Its a bit big and I wouldn't mind the cut down version (29?) they used to do that also had all the screwdriver bits, having said that I have used every tool on it. I did once see a Cybertool 41(?) that was the size of the Champ and that is a big bugger that would need a belt clip, too big really to be a useful regular use screwdriver. I carry the 34 in a back pocket but have worn a few holes in them over the years.

The reason I carry that one is that I use the screwdrivers daily on computers and in 11 years of daily use its still going strong. I've managed to snap a couple of the flat bits through abuse but all the tool hinges are still as good (tight) as when I first bought it - you can get the bits as spare parts.

I'd guess its paid for itself several times over as the reamer tool was perfect for recovering euro coins from trolleys when we had the punt euro change over even now I occasionally recover a stuck euro coin (or token :() with the pliers.

Other than its size the main issue with it is you have to be careful how you stow the screwdriver bits or you can loose them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I like to keep a Buck Prince 503 in my pocket for little day to day tasks.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=2855&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

opinel n7, not too bulky for a pocket and with a homemade lanyard that opens to 6ft of braided nylon. Carry it as much for the string as the knife. Must get a good leatherman though...
    Dont know about it as a survival knife at all though, cold hands don't work well with it.

I had to stop carrying one of those as it got just too handy, after it had been "broken in" it was just as good as a flick knife. Gravity knife I think might be a term that covers it. Now I doubt your average Opinel exposed to everyday damp in Ireland would perform the same way but its hard to have something that can be tunned up and not tune it - for me anyway - so left it at home in the shed and now its like many other Opinels and requires the use of a pair of pliers to open the blade.

grapeape wrote: »
    I used to carry my Gerber Gator until my boss nearly had a heart attack when he seen it

It annoys me how people are sh1t scared when they even see you using a small Victorinox, but you can have 10 of those €2 shop stanley knives in each hand and they dont bat an eye lid If they had any cop on at all they would see the €2 knives are more dangerous to the user and people around as they can snap a blade so easy and it flys I refuse to use them

Next time he says anything about it.Simply ask what was used to hijack three planes on Sept 11th 2001,and cause the worst terrorist outrage in the USA since Pearl Harbour??Was it a Gerber Gator or a cheap set of box cutters ???:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Victorinox Soldier (Old version) 99.99% of the time.

Or my first SAK, my Huntsman that I got in Switzerland.

If I'm cycling or going exploring or something, it's the CRKT Hammond Cruiser. That thing is ridiculously sharp.

• Advertisement

Next time he says anything about it.Simply ask what was used to hijack three planes on Sept 11th 2001,and cause the worst terrorist outrage in the USA since Pearl Harbour??Was it a Gerber Gator or a cheap set of box cutters ???:)
    Yeah I know Sure one of the shops in town was asked to stop selling victorinox knives by the Guards as there were a few stabbings in the area so the shop owner did as asked then it came out 2 were stabbed with kitchen knives the 3rd a €2 box cutter :rolleyes:Victorinox back on sale :D

Advertisement