Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Pudding

Options
  • 01-12-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Can anyone explain what the craic is with red pudding please?

People in work were raving about it. One lad from Dundalk said its widely available there. Sounds to me its more like white than black pudding, but apparently its totally different to both (they felt quite strongly about this!).

Google machine is no help, mostly mentions scottish red pudding, which is a glorified battered sausage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I'm from Dundalk and red pudding was always available in my day, but I
    didn't know it was still sold. Haven;t had it in years.

Malones on Canbrassil st used to make their own, and I know someone who
    used to work there.

It is essentially the same as white pudding but I think a different mix of herbs
    and spices are used so it does taste quite different

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

Red pudding update!
    My work mate from Dundalk brought me in some so its still available, and its delish!

He said McCambridges butcher up there sells the best one I think. Although he got his in another one up there not sure of the name, so its still alive and well in them parts.

It actually looks like white pudding, and its wrapped it red plastic. But with a very slight reddish hue that must be from the spice mix, which seems to be the main difference. It has a spicier taste than white, its quite different. It seems to be alot softer too, and the mixture is much finer, although this might be the particular butchers style of making pudding.

So all in all very impressed with red pudding, and im getting a ring brought in for christmas. Spread the word, lets keep this fine stuff alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Knew a butcher that used to make something similar, it was white pudding with red food coloring. Seemingly the food coloring was not meant to have a flavour but he stopped adding it on year and the usual buyers complained that it was no-where near the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

This stuff isn't that red though for it to be food colouring, i'd say its just paprika or something like that in the spice mix that colours it very slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Guill wrote: »
    Knew a butcher that used to make something similar, it was white pudding with red food coloring. Seemingly the food coloring was not meant to have a flavour but he stopped adding it on year and the usual buyers complained that it was no-where near the same.
    Yeah, a lot of things like that are psychological
    emco wrote: »
    This stuff isn't that red though for it to be food colouring, i'd say its just paprika or something like that in the spice mix that colours it very slightly.
    Food colouring doesn't automaticall makeing something completely red.
    A small amount would only slightly colour it

• Advertisement
Advertisement