Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream job abroad - For three months

Options
  • 01-12-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I'm interested in what people think of working and living abroad on seasonal jobs longterm. Howlong before you get sick of changing location and jobs a few times a year? I'm specifically thinking about working in a ski resort during the winter, and then moving towards the sunshine for the summer.

I've worked in a ski Resort in France for one winter, and I'm heading back to the same job this winter. I've never worked for a seasonal summer job, but the kind of things that come to mind are wine picking, crewing sail boats, sun resort bar work, water-sports instructing, scuba diving instructor.

I want to start planning the summer now to make sure I go somewhere amazing and work on something different.

I'd love to hear peoples experiences of the best seasonal jobs abroad, in the best locations in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Coll79

I was working in Ibiza quite a few years back doing repping, basically being one of those geebags that you more than likely ignore or abuse when youre on a foreign holiday! Bringing drunk punters about the place and watching them vomimit and fight with each other for a few months. Not what i'd imagined lol. Ended up getting some bar work before heading home. It was a nightmare but a good laugh when you are a young lad.

How did you get the ski resort job and what exactly were doing there? Sounds interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

Ibiza does seem like a big summer season, for a young lad, as you say. I could just about manage it now, but I don't know how my liver would feel about it. Was it difficult to get work behind a bar there? Repping on the street is tough work without a doubt.

The ski resort job is working in an Irish bar in the French alps. Got it through a friend who had worked there previously. Doing a winter season as part of your "gap yaahr" before college is big in the UK, so there's lots of dodgy jobs with British tour operators that don't pay or treat their staff very well.
    but, Theres also lots of dream jobs to be had in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Coll79

Nice work if you can get it. Yeah the Brits certainly seem to go and see the world first. Irish teens are quite happy to holiday for a few years and then do it.

Originally the plan was to arrive early before the summer rush, get sorted with work and diggs but left it too late(2 weeks) and the bar work has been snapped up by then and also workers have been there the year before so its quite difficult to get it. I was determined not to come home after the repping disaster and luckily took the job of someone who had to return home first! Would never do it again. Maybe Greece(probably not these days!) or somewhere would be better but Ibiza is better left for a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

campsite courier in France. Pay may not be the best, you could also try and get a job as a van driver for the campaign companies, operating out of a depot. you would cover a few regions in France, so could be a good way to get to travel around...

Advertisement