Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Wonderland in Bishop Lucey Park

Options
  • 01-12-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone being this year?? The theme is apparently Willy Wonka and Van Goghs Starry Night. I'm just wondering is it any good this year for the kiddies or has anyone got pictures yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I didn't head in to it yet, but here's the opening times for anyone interested.

6418179193_d42aa1f3df_z.jpg
    IMG_7696 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Advice would be don't get your hopes up. Went last weekend and to be honest wasn't expecting much so didn't feel cheated.

In fairness to the actors/entertainers working there they do try to entertain the crowd but they have very limited resources with which to do it. I'd say the council didn't give much towards the setup costs.

One gripe I would have is the security people working there. They were on a bit of a power trip the evening we went. Had everyone queing and huge cordoned off entrance which everyone had to walk through, and after the first group went in it meant everyone had to walk through it to enter, and there being no que it just looked a bit rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Monday's Examiner had a few pics.

It's not as complete this year as it has been previously. No snow. I wouldn't come to town on an expedition to visit it, I would pop in there if in town already.

The queuing position can be a major put down. On opening night with the crowds migrating from the lights switch on, it was a necessary 'evil'

Your experience with your child will of course be unique and IMO a visit will enhance the overall Christmas feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Thanks guys for responding. I won't get my hopes up so.. but I'm sure a 2 and 3 year old won't notice the stuff like queues and will just see pretty lights and santa! Or at least that what i'm hoping for :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I went last weekend and it was pretty cráp tbh.

Not a patch on last year, less lights, no snow, just a poor show in general.
    There were only a few actors around the place and in fairness they were doing what they could.

It just needs more of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

god i hope my two nieces aren't totally disappointed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

What annoys me the most is that it finishes up on Wednesday 21st... if you drive past on the 22nd, you'll see them dismantling it before Christmas has even begun... I don't know why they can't even just leave it up until at least the next weekend after Christmas. It's depressing seeing the place empty three days before Christmas.

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Brought my 6yr old to see it and the bottom line is she enjoyed it. The staff that were involved in the entertainment were working really hard and were doing a great job with the little resources that they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I went last weekend and it was pretty cráp tbh.

Not a patch on last year, less lights, no snow, just a poor show in general.
    There were only a few actors around the place and in fairness they were doing what they could.

It just needs more of everything.

We were there last weekend and we thought it was better than last year, and as good as 2009 (which was brilliant). The market is better this year as well the way its laid out.

We were happy out with it anyway, heading in there again this weekend with visitors from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

went last week with my young cousins, they weren't impressed! there were no actors/performers or snow like last year. there was no atmosphere and it was hard to link the theme and what was actually on show. however i did feel there was a big improvement with the market, there was a greater selection of food and prices weren't too crazy for a nice treat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I went there and thought it was nice, some Christmas lights, some Christmas songs a nice market and a bit of festive cheer, plenty of kids laughing and parents taking pictures of them, chestnuts and other nice snacks in the market.

The fact that it was free was great, okay it is not something huge with loads of effects, but sure Cork is a small place and I like that there is an effort being made to put on some festive entertainment for all to enjoy, it brings a bit of life to the City as over recent years I felt it was lacking.

The only thing about it is that it closes to early, why not have some singing in there on xmas eve, ohh and they do need some mulled wine in the market now that would make it perfect, sipping mulled wine, looking at xmas lights, and listening to carols :)

Advertisement