Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Nand Xbox?

• 01-12-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Saw this online a few days ago...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF_EQ6QEjYg
    anybody know how to go about doing this? It would be interesting to find out how its done.

Also, may as well ask while i'm here, whats the story with adverts.ie these days? They don't allow the sale of modded consoles at all anymore. I wanted to sell a glitched console and they removed the add with no explanation whatsoever, even though i saw another glitched console for sale. Complete nonsense. Final question, how much is an Phat RGH console worth on its own?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Bounce1993 wrote: »
    Saw this online a few days ago...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF_EQ6QEjYg
    anybody know how to go about doing this? It would be interesting to find out how its done.

Also, may as well ask while i'm here, whats the story with adverts.ie these days? They don't allow the sale of modded consoles at all anymore. I wanted to sell a glitched console and they removed the add with no explanation whatsoever, even though i saw another glitched console for sale. Complete nonsense. Final question, how much is an Phat RGH console worth on its own?

I have been looking into this mod myself, it's called the nandwitch. You take a 16mb NAND from a spare Xbox sit it on top of the onboard NAND solder the pins except pin 9 of the top NAND and solder a switch to toggle them. It's not for the beginner as you need to make a very precise cut on a trace coming from the South Bridge, I will have a go at this once I get my magnifying lamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

would a cygnos not do the same thing,
    But easier to install

But easier to install

Yup a cygnos rev E does the same job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

But easier to install

but you would have to buy it, wait to be delivered etc. Its not that bad to solder it once you have the spare one lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bounce1993

thanks for the info, im getting an old xbox off a friend at the weekend so i'll probably try it on that as soon as i get my hands on a spare nand. Whats the story with flashing the nand? Create the .ecc glitch file from the original nand image then flash this to the donor nand? So much could and probably will go wrong, im thinking of flashing the donor nand while its still in its original xbox, would make troubleshooting easier.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info, im getting an old xbox off a friend at the weekend so i'll probably try it on that as soon as i get my hands on a spare nand. Whats the story with flashing the nand? Create the .ecc glitch file from the original nand image then flash this to the donor nand? So much could and probably will go wrong, im thinking of flashing the donor nand while its still in its original xbox, would make troubleshooting easier.

The eec is a modified image for the Reset Gltich Hack, does the console your friend is giving you have a HDMI output? If not you can't perform the RGH, the modified image alone is not enough your need a programmed Coolrunner chip to carry out the exploit. If it has an older dashboard of 2.0.7371 or below then you could probably jtag the Xbox. No real point in doing the dual nand mod unless you have a homebrew console to start with.

i have a console thats "glitched" (or whatever the word for it is now), using the coolrunner chip. I have the nand dump on my computer, so all id have to do would be flash that to the donor nand and install it yeah?

i have a console thats "glitched" (or whatever the word for it is now), using the coolrunner chip. I have the nand dump on my computer, so all id have to do would be flash that to the donor nand and install it yeah?

That's right you need to flash the stock image to the donor nand so you have the retail Xbox at the flip of a switch.

Take a look at this:

http://www.consoleopen.com/forum/tutorial-xbox360-jtag-e-reset-glitch-hack/872-eng-tutorial-dual-nand-hy27us08281a-xbox-360-slim-glitch-reset-hack-live.html

thanks for the link, its a great tutorial, I noticed that the toggle switch turns off the glitch chip for the stock boot, i had been wondering about that.I found a donor nand so i will make some sort of start at it this weekend. :cool:

There is another interesting mod using an xd card reader and 16mb xd card, I'll post up a link if I can find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I have 3 x 16mb xD cards. I will keep one just in case but can spare the other 2 if anyone interested. One condition: mod-log needs to be posted here ;)

docentore wrote: »
    I have 3 x 16mb xD cards. I will keep one just in case but can spare the other 2 if anyone interested. One condition: mod-log needs to be posted here ;)

I'll scrape together the articles that I've found on the web about it, with schematics, pin outs etc... you basically wire the xd reader to the i/o pads on the Xbox. I won't attempt this until my new small soldering iron tip arrives though...

I'm going to attempt this tonight. The tutorial is for a slim, I have a phat, does it matter? There are no good tuts for a phat dual nand. The switch used is just a dpdt, only thing I can see being a problem is cutting the pcb. I'd say its hard enough to get the solder to stick to it. I rebuilt my nand image using 360 builder because I think I booted without the dvd drive in once and im not sure if it was flagged or whatever. Is it ok to just use a stanley blade to scratch the pcb? Thats probably what I'll use to do it.

Few more questions lads sorry,
    At the point CE_1 in the diagram that's linked above, why doesn't he just solder that wire straight to the pin? and the piece of metal that says 103 on it, im assuming that the 10k resistor, where is that even soldered to? that bit of the pcb must be connected to a pin at 3.3volts, ill probably solder it to my coolrunner 3.3volts point just because it already has solder on it an all.

Few more questions lads sorry,
    At the point CE_1 in the diagram that's linked above, why doesn't he just solder that wire straight to the pin? and the piece of metal that says 103 on it, im assuming that the 10k resistor, where is that even soldered to? that bit of the pcb must be connected to a pin at 3.3volts, ill probably solder it to my coolrunner 3.3volts point just because it already has solder on it an all.

That's a 10k surface mount resistor it's soldered to two really small pads, cut the trace at an angle so you have more room, and use an abrasive pen to expose the copper on the trace.

Flashed the donor nand with my retail image. Going to attempt the transplant on saturday....

Flashed the donor nand with my retail image. Going to attempt the transplant on saturday....

I already practiced soldering a nand on top of the onboard on a dead motherboard it's not too bad with the right tools

How does the update affect things? Will I be able to go on live with the retail nand?

How does the update affect things? Will I be able to go on live with the retail nand?

Don't update the retail image beyond the home brew leave them both at 13406 for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

justryan wrote: »
    Don't update the retail image beyond the home brew leave them both at 13406 for now

Seconded, stay at 13406. No telling what tricksy things MS have done :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement